T3 Halogen LED replacements for worklights

blueeyesdesigns

Bill's post earlier reminded me about a project I've got on the back burner - We've got dozens of halogen work light fixtures sitting around collecting dust, and a real need for better work light in just about all of our spaces. (A predecessor of mine replaced the works with PARS, but, well, you know...) I would love, if at all possible, to retrofit the gear that we already have to LED and solve two problems at once without sending a bunch of lights to the landfill.

Does anyone out there have any experience with the the T3 halogen drop-in replacements I'm seeing online? Or recommendations? What I'm seeing just doesn't seem like it would be bright enough, especially in our space with 25' trims. I don't need them to dim. Decent color rendering would be a plus, but it's not a deal breaker if it's only OK. We would be doing this out of our operating budget, so I'm talking less than $100/fixture ideally.)

Our experiment with cheap LED replacements for the ubiquitous Altman Q1000 flood light is proving to have some disappointment. In a space that would have had about 15-16 Q1000 floods, at 300w ea., we purchased in May of 2018, 16 Ustellar 60w LED flood lamps. They’ve lasted roughly 18 mos., cost $22 ea., have no UL listing, no warranty. We’ve had 2 on a ghost light circuit running at 15% for 12 hrs a day, all others at full on about 12 hrs. a day.

So far, one complete failure (not a dimmed unit), 3 others losing sections of the array.

Yesterday we hung 6 Osram Kreios FLX90 as replacements, bigger unit, brighter by about 30%, cooler color temp, thus look brighter.

The experiment continues. I’m a bit disappointed in the cheap fixture, but not surprised.

So no one has given one of these monsters a try in their old scoops or the like?

I'll try to sneak one of the RSC / LED upgrades into an order. Will take some research into what to use. Mostly you will loose a signifigant part of the reflector usage - perhaps designed into the design already. Your lamp socket assembly already if destroyed by a lamp before install of a perfectly good lamp into it - will not last to expected lifeline of it. Such lamps initially done are made for low CRI halogen needed work lights so the CRI and luminous output as important for a stage work light might not be good initially. But every month something new LED is out there and with research something even dimmable and high output and CRI might be available now. Or if not, just wait a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back