T80 patching issue

Builtkarr

Hey CB,

I'm being trained on an Allen and Heath Ilive T80 mixing system and there's one thing myself and the guy training me couldn't figure out. We can't figure out how to patch the 1/4" ports on the backside of the surface.

The idea was to have a quick way to play music from a laptop, iPod, whathaveyou, from the surface by plugging into one of the 1/4" inputs on the back, but we couldn't figure out how to assign any of those connections so we could route it to the mains. The literature is no help as it just states those ports are completely assignable to whatever you want, but when trying to select them in the sends scroll down we can't find it. Is this an easy fix that we are both missing? Any help is appreciated.

Thats because the first 48 channels that are assigned to your surface from default are MIX Rack channels. You want to assign say channel 49/50 which is a local IO stereo channel to somewhere on your surface. I havent used any I live in ages so I cant remember the exact process for that. Someone will need to chime in here and help you.

Okay I just had a crack at it on the offline editor on my mac and in there its as simple as entering strip setup mode and dragging channel 49/50 from the input channels window to wherever you want it on any surface layer. From there you can enter IO Setup and choose exactly which input on the back of the console you want to use. I cant remember exactly how this translates to the actual console but hopefully i was hopeful :)

Okay I just had a crack at it on the offline editor on my mac and in there its as simple as entering strip setup mode and dragging channel 49/50 from the input channels window to wherever you want it on any surface layer. From there you can enter IO Setup and choose exactly which input on the back of the console you want to use. I cant remember exactly how this translates to the actual console but hopefully i was hopeful :)
Thanks Dane! I'll see if I can get it to work tomorrow. I was playing around with it today to no avail. I was not using the offline editor however. I just find it odd that while poking around in the surface there was no clear indication that I could assign any of the ports on the back of the surface on any of the lists or pull downs. Two avenues my thought process went down were;

1. On the Mix rack the inputs are A - 1-8, B - 1-8, C - 1-8, and D - 1-8. Outputs are G - 1-8, and H - 1-8 It's missing E & F 1-8, however while in the I/O assignable pull down list it smoothly goes thru A-J 1-8 as possible inputs....so I was thinking the inputs and outputs on the back of the surface were the missing E & F options even though on the back of the surface the inputs are labeled A - 1-8, and Outputs are B 1-8... I was thinking the system left the E & F spaces for them. That didn't seem to work.

2. My next thought was that there is some much simpler method of assigning and patching those points that I just haven't found yet.

My last day of training on the system is tomorrow so I will try to see if I can figure it out with your suggestion then. The guy training me might do his own research as well so with a little work and luck we might be able to figure it out.

Best,

Thanks Dane! I'll see if I can get it to work tomorrow. I was playing around with it today to no avail. I was not using the offline editor however. I just find it odd that while poking around in the surface there was no clear indication that I could assign any of the ports on the back of the surface on any of the lists or pull downs. Two avenues my thought process went down were;

1. On the Mix rack the inputs are A - 1-8, B - 1-8, C - 1-8, and D - 1-8. Outputs are G - 1-8, and H - 1-8 It's missing E & F 1-8, however while in the I/O assignable pull down list it smoothly goes thru A-J 1-8 as possible inputs....so I was thinking the inputs and outputs on the back of the surface were the missing E & F options even though on the back of the surface the inputs are labeled A - 1-8, and Outputs are B 1-8... I was thinking the system left the E & F spaces for them. That didn't seem to work.

2. My next thought was that there is some much simpler method of assigning and patching those points that I just haven't found yet.

My last day of training on the system is tomorrow so I will try to see if I can figure it out with your suggestion then. The guy training me might do his own research as well so with a little work and luck we might be able to figure it out.

Best,
Ha! This was my actual second thought but it eluded me until I hit the post button. Might it be something to do with the system configuration? I am using the settings of the board the way this school has always had it set up. It's my understanding they've never used those ports. Do I need to investigate reconfiguring the system settings in case they were never added in as usable? I'm new to digital systems so I'm not sure what's possible or not. It's a brave new world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back