Table that will support actors

Chuwwy

I was looking for suggestions on building a table that would be able to support 3 actors walking on top. The design is essentially 4'x6' table. It's a 3/4" inlaid top with a 1x4 ripped to 2.5" frame. The legs would be sandwiched 1x4 in an 'X' shape with a diagonal for the legs. Obviously, 3/4" on top of 2.5" would require more frame work. I don't have a welder but can cut steel. I'm trying to keep it light but also sturdy enough for 3 actors. Thoughts? Side.JPG Side2.JPG Top.JPG

Make the apron 2x4 and built it like a platform. The 'X' supports under the top are weird, why not frame it like a platform with 2 toggles on 24" centers? Size the leg braces to tie into the framing rather than the plywood top.

My biggest problem is the legs. You spec 1x4 'sandwiched'. Which I hope means each leg is 1 1/2" thick, with a built up half lap at the intersection. Rather than just 1 piece of wood for each half of the 'X' (am i making sense? Can't tell from the drawing). This is probably fine IF you add a cross piece at the bottom to keep the 'X' from splaying open. The open bottomed X works great for picnic tables made with 2x6, not so much for 1x4 with 3 people on top

Make the apron 2x4 and built it like a platform. The 'X' supports under the top are weird, why not frame it like a platform with 2 toggles on 24" centers? Size the leg braces to tie into the framing rather than the plywood top.

My biggest problem is the legs. You spec 1x4 'sandwiched'. Which I hope means each leg is 1 1/2" thick, with a built up half lap at the intersection. Rather than just 1 piece of wood for each half of the 'X' (am i making sense? Can't tell from the drawing). This is probably fine IF you add a cross piece at the bottom to keep the 'X' from splaying open. The open bottomed X works great for picnic tables made with 2x6, not so much for 1x4 with 3 people on top

Thanks for the suggestions bobgaggle. The 'X' on the top is not framing but just inlaid pieces of ply to give it that pattern. I understand your concern about the 'X' because I had a similar thought about the 'X' just opening up with that much weight on top. I also had a concern about the span of 6' rather than every 4' that is just ingrained in my head from legging platforms. I was throwing the idea in my head of possibly stress skinning, but this would add more weight. By built up half lap, do you mean just a half lap joint with glue and fasteners?

Bonus points for doing it like this...
View attachment 17028
On my tombstone, it's going to say "Furniture Is Not Platforms." Stick to your guns, build it sturdily, and gently remind the Artistic Staff when they complain about it looking too bulky or like a platform the they're the ones who wanted to load something meant to hold a static 50 lb. or so with 600 lb. of moving actors.

I would suggest that if the audience is not going to be viewing the table from the end you should subtlety lengthen the lower legs of the X so that they are a bit wider than the top. Better yet would be to screw the entire assembly to a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 ply and slide it on and off as a pallet instead of carrying it. That would help keep the legs from folding up under the table. If you can not screw it to a pallet I think you will need to make the knee braces far longer than usual to the point of touching in the middle.

This "table" is a legged platform. It was built to hold dancing actors, but keeps getting used as a table in our community theater. No X's on the end, though.

Attachments

• 12963853_10154121110894549_5177675605584474407_n.jpg
    12963853_10154121110894549_5177675605584474407_n.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 207
We built one with Three 2" x 12"s for the top and the legs were made of 4 x 4. Things were Rock solid, but were also Rock heavy. Added felt to the bottom and slid them on and off stage.

This "table" is a legged platform. It was built to hold dancing actors, but keeps getting used as a table in our community theater. No X's on the end, though.
Nice design. The way you've done the skirting keeps the look fairly dainty while doing good structural work.

Nice design. The way you've done the skirting keeps the look fairly dainty while doing good structural work.
Thanks! That table was designed and built by one of our founding members. He's in is 80's and does great woodwork. He just built a grandfather clock out of scrap for our next show. I'll pass along the compliment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back