Does anyone have a good suggestion for how to tag lights with focus, channel, dimmer, and other necessary materials? I need something that is durable, but not flammable because these are lights we are talking about.
Thanks,
Joshua

How permanently?

I mostly work on theater shows with a run of about one month, which means tagging them permanently isn't really necessary. For longer runs, you might want to consider e-tape or gaff tape around the yoke or plug.

Some television studios and theme parks I've worked with will use white paint pen on the body of the fixture, large enough to be legible from the studio floor. That wouldn't ride in most theaters, though.

How permanently?

I mostly work on theater shows with a run of about one month, which means tagging them permanently isn't really necessary. For longer runs, you might want to consider e-tape or gaff tape around the yoke or plug.

Some television studios and theme parks I've worked with will use white paint pen on the body of the fixture, large enough to be legible from the studio floor. That wouldn't ride in most theaters, though.
It is for a traveling production, so it needs to last for a while. The gaff idea sounds good though.

On some of the tours I've worked on, we use gaff tape around the connector. You can actually write quite a lot on a stagepin plug, if you stick to the same format every time. Consistency helps.

Because of the wear and tear on a touring show, you may want to look at white paint marker -- while it does wear off over time, it's a lot more durable, and less likely to smudge or get torn as gaff tape inevitably will.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for how to tag lights with focus, channel, dimmer, and other necessary materials? I need something that is durable, but not flammable because these are lights we are talking about.
Thanks,
Joshua
Yoke label next to the c-clamp? Same location on every fixture.
Normally,
1. A strip of gaff tape (to make eventual removal of the whole mess easier)
2. The label
3. Strip of 2" cello tape (packing tape). If going this route you probably don't even need label stock, plain paper works fine once covered with the clear tape.

Export from Lightwright into MS Word, then use MailMerge to print labels exactly how you want them. Conventional vs. Moving Lights will probably want slightly different information.

It's just a matter of taking off the old label and creating a new one. Some of it depends on the length of the tour, the amount of spares they go out with, the budget for maintenance. One touring company I work with sends out tours with a three-four month run, so they have fewer spares out on the road (fewer than I'd like, let's say, and leave it at that) but it also means, with fewer stops, they should need to replace fewer things than a tour that lasts a year, or is open-ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back