Tape to cover seams?

If your plan is to reuse the flats I've found that simple spackle does the trick. I like the stuff that goes on pink and dries white. I've used masking tape, and if your audience is far enough away it's ok, but it's a biatch to get off afterward. Spackle just scrapes off.

For those of you advocating dutchmans(dutchmen?), do they work on hard covered flats? I've all but abandoned muslin flats, and have never tried to dutchman the luan ones.

*shudder* Admittedly, spackle works well enough. My issue with it is that it basically ruined all our flats. The construction crew chief on the show before I was construction chief used tons of spackle on our seams and after trying to deconstruct those evil things, I never wanted to see spackle again. Wasted a good week of my crew's time trying to get our flats back to working condition.
Could we hear some more about this latex painter's caulk? We use lauan covered flats, will it work there? How do you use it?

*shudder* Admittedly, spackle works well enough. My issue with it is that it basically ruined all our flats. The construction crew chief on the show before I was construction chief used tons of spackle on our seams and after trying to deconstruct those evil things, I never wanted to see spackle again. Wasted a good week of my crew's time trying to get our flats back to working condition.
Could we hear some more about this latex painter's caulk? We use lauan covered flats, will it work there? How do you use it?

True that, but if used sparingly, and then sanded judiciously before painting, spackle can be tamed.

Latex Painters caulk can be applied pretty much in the same way you would applly spackle. Here's a few things I do to make seams easier.
1. When constructing flats if there are internal seams, for flats taller than 8' or wider than 4' I typically take a grinder, with a sanding wheel on it, and make a small channel rignt down the center of the seam. Depending on you favorite method then fill the channel. I prefer Bondo, but that is not always a viable solution as regards toxicity, and vapors. If you use caulk, just run a thin bead down the center of the channel then using a putty knife, or a plastic squeegee, the kind used for appying decals and vinyl signs that has been dipped in water, smooth the caulk into the channel just like spackle. The nice thing about caulk is you can then move the flat realitvely quickly to lean it against the wall etc. With spackle and to a lesser extent bondo, you must be much mor careful not to flex the flat too much or the spackle will crack, bondo is a bit more plastic but not much.

2. I also like to grind/ round over the outside edges of hard flats. then make sure they are smooth. This way when stood up and put together it will give you a much easier area to fill with caulk. It's easier to fill a big gap then it is to fill a micro mini gap.

3. Cool things about caulk ;
a. Once applied it's easy to slice the seam with a razor knife then re-assemble the flats onstage < if you build in a set-up floor then transport to the theatre.>
b. It cleans up with water. Bondo does not, Spackle does but it clogs your sink, and once hard sanding is the only way to get it off.
c. When finished with a production, Latex Painters caulk will "peel" right off the side / seam of the flat it's been applied to, sometimes you might need a knife but mostly it zips right off.

d. when applied it cleans up with water. I like to keep a rag with me as I'm seaming, if you get little beads to the outside of your squeegee / knife or you accidentally get some caulk where you didn't want it, a quick rub with a damp cloth takes it right off.

e. Caulk sticks to more surfaces than spackle does. You can use latex caulk on plastics, laminates, wood, metal, Electircal cables < No don't it pisses off the electricians.>

f. It's waterproof when "dry" < it doesn't really dry so much as set-up"> which is why it's a primary component of VSSSD.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back