Tarping at an outdoor gig

We all know Murphy's Law rules, right? If we prepare for the worst, it probably won't happen, but if we say, "Nah, forget about that safety chain, those clamps are brand new" or anything along those lines, the lamps will inevitebly fall.
Anyway, the company I was working for at the time of this story has some ... staffing ... issues. As in, if someone can make it sound like they know what they're doing, they get hired.
I'll leave that as some foreshadowing.
We were setting up a pretty big outdoor church gig for easter long weekend earlier this year. We had an H3K as main console, a Verona as a secondary and a smaller A&H for mixing wireless. A&H GL 5500 (48ch.) on Mons. And of course outboard gear coming out our rears.
So it's all up and running, Martin Array was in the air, the system tech was happy with the sound of the whole thing and rain clouds were coming in pretty fast so we called it a day.
The storm was the closest thing I've ever seen to a monsoon. And we're in inland canada here, 5 hour drive to the coast.
Well, the "FOH Tech" that we hired might have been ok when it came to advanced log calculations for dB and the like, but the guy couldn't even tarp up a console properly.
You can see where this is going ...
When the show crew got on site and fired everything up, they noticed the puddle of water the H3K was sitting in. The dumped it out, took some hand dryers to it for a half hour and flipped the switch hoping to God that it worked. Well, it didn't. Both harddrives were fried on the thing and this was about two hours before showtime with not another 48ch console in the region.
Suffice it to say, the Monitor Tech ended up patching into the mains and mixing both FOH and Mons from sidestage. The company ended up with a repair bill with 5 digits and the guy who couldn't tarp up a bloody console ... well ... ya.
Thats not a story appropriate for this forum ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back