Teach me about jacksand (Jaxsan)

curtis73

Twice now I've complained about not being able to do my normal technique of bonding foam to wood because Flexbond is on backorder. Both times a friend has said "just use Jacksand."

Picture me with a puzzled expression.

Google brings up zilch. Searching here brings up zero results. Searching here for "jack sand" brings up all kinds of posts about sand bags to weight jacks. Searching "jacksand" says no results. I've tried Jaksand, Jacsand, Chacksand, Jacksind, Jackzand.... I got nothin. Somebody want to clue me in?

... and feel free to laugh at my expense :)

The product I think you're referring to is Jaxsan, but.... It's not an "adhesive". It's a coating.... though I suppose you could use it to stick stuff together?

Jacquesand, from the Cousteau Society?

I'll let myself out.... ;)

Yaaay... I knew you folks would know. Chock this one up to bonehead TD.

I was kind of hoping that Jacquesand was the right answer, though.

The only Jaxsan I know of if like a really toxic smelling faux concrete stuff. Looks great though.
If you want to bond foam, Blue/pink or Stryo your best bet is 30NF or Thirty Neutral as it is sometimes referred as.
Water based, latex contact cement.

I have used 30NF before to bond some iso to luan and it worked quite well, if not expensive.

I think for this round I'll have to go with some mechanical fasteners like carriage bolts or screws/washers and some white glue if I end up using the XPS. Not ideal, but I'm finding that most of the shipping times for these put me too close to opening to be comfortable. These are some luan and 1x ceiling beams that we want to have a rough-hewn look (old farm house). For now I have the luan beams assembled and we're going to try two techniques: 3/4" XPS glued and screwed, and I also have enough stuff on hand to make some VSSD. Whichever one looks like what we want, we'll go with it.

The product I think you're referring to is Jaxsan, but.... It's not an "adhesive". It's a coating.... though I suppose you could use it to stick stuff together?
It the words of George Wallace, "I'll seal s**t with an adhesive and adhere s**t with a sealant. I don't give a s**t anymore."

I'm currently building my second foam-based camper/TV control room, and in that world the only thing we stick foam to wood with is Gorilla Glue. It is awesome stuff, with a bond that is actually stronger than the foam. It does expand, but if you weight it down while curing you can keep it under control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back