Tech Crew Olympics, need some ideas

There's a lot of cable in a load out. You could have the 100' Feeder race, the 10x100' Socapex relay, the 10x100' DMX coil (twist and over/under styles), and the triathlon, consisting of 10x100' Soca - 10x100' DMX - 100' feeder - finish line is when the 3 cases are in the truck with a strap or load bar.
Since you'll probably use the same cases and cable for each competing tech, a 20 second penalty is assessed for each cable that tangles when pulled straight for the next guy, and if a coil goes into the box without being tied (or secured with velcro) it does not count toward the total.

There's the two man & four man (or woman) case / speaker stack competition.

Desk patching race

R&R the 1 bad ACL in a set.

Name that gel number!

Dip-switch math

I would shy away from speed competitions in a few areas, like loading counter-weight onto a line-set, tying in the tails, and anything to do with rigging.

LtheC

Riggers like to compete too. :) Just set up a bridle building compitition. Draw the legs and basket lengths on the floor and then it is time and accuracy.

Riggers like to compete too. :) Just set up a bridle building compitition. Draw the legs and basket lengths on the floor and then it is time and accuracy.

I'm all for bridle building competitions, for stage crews, AND tack shops. A rigger I know, who shall remain nameless (hey Ricky!) will tell you (and me, and the security guard, and the catering staff it seems) that what you are describing is "ground rigging," and in his words, "it's rigging for the gravitationally challenged". I know this because he's standing next to me right now, and still talking about it.
He doesn't think I'll hit send....:twisted:

Thanks everyone, these are some great ideas! We go to the PA ITS convention every year and my Tech crew always wants to do the Tech Challange there but they always cancel it, usually due to space restrictions. We did the challenge at the last USITT conferance at Penn State2 years ago and did well it being our first time, we were only .3 seconds from second place and .7 seconds from first place against the State champions. I will say though, they were supposed to deduct for any incorrect actions and for the cable toss event, ALL the other teams wrapped their cables around there arm and elbow like and extension chord and not the correct way. Our girl Mandy did it properly so it took a few more milaseconds and yet she didn't get anything for accuracy, that would have put up in second or first. Anyway, thanks again for the great ideas!

As I have helped with the EdTA's Tech Challenge at the Thespian Festival (NE) and with USITT's Tech Olympics, as well as judged at many other regional events, I thought I'd share these two documents. They include quite a few neat events. I have to admit there are a few mentioned here that may have to be added to the list. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the events.

Attachments

• 2011 Tech Challenge Guide - final.pdf
    504.7 KB · Views: 64
  • TO Event Descriptions as of 1_2011.pdf
    644.9 KB · Views: 41
I read through most of the information and it looks like an interesting event. I have a couple of questions. Why are gloves required to focus. They have penalty points for not wearing them. I will occasionally use focus gloves for PARs but nothing else. I don't think I have ever used gloves on lekos of any manufacture. I liked the knot tieing but questioned why is the bowline done around the waist? In your cable wrapping you are penalizing arm wrapping, good job there, but would overunder be allowed? These are not critisims just questions.

Gloves are required as a safety factor. Over the course of the 4 hour event, the fixtures we use get rather 'warm'. To make it fair, all the students wear gloves. As for the bowline around the waist, It's a one-handed bowline. As Arez said above, "knots (clove hitch onto fixed pipe, sheet bend to a smaller diameter, finish with a one handed bowline and lean back on you work hoping you did it right.)", proof of accuracy. EdTA has switched back to allow two-handed bowline now, but still around the waist. Cable wrapping was new this year, and they stuck to no arm wrapping. I'd have to ask the judge on the event about the overunder. Good catch. Hope this answers your questions.

Check out the video from this year's event: Tech Challenge video | Educational Theatre Association

Certainly does, thanks. Hopefully they will allow over/under, some guys only know that method. Personally you should know both but not allowing arm wrapping is key. Sounds like a good event.

1.) Team: Tech Theatre Family Feud/College Bowl.
2.) Thread a sewing machine.
3.) Tie a tie on someone else. (advanced: bow tie)
4.) Team: Flip a Marley floor.
5.) Team: Build a wheelbarrow and use it to move stage weights.
6.) Find the mistakes in the floorplan/hook-up/costume pattern.
7.) Team: Back a bob-tail truck to the loading dock.
8.) Climb to the grid and back down.
9.) Make a two-fer.
10.) Identify everything in a box of hardware.
11.) Team: Build a flat with a hung door/window.
12.) Solder components to a PC board.
13.) Wire a practical torch.
14.) Reassemble a disassembled gel swatch book.
15.) Team: Move a large amount of cable through an obstacle course.

1.) Team: Tech Theatre Family Feud/College Bowl.
2.) Thread a sewing machine.
3.) Tie a tie on someone else. (advanced: bow tie)
4.) Team: Flip a Marley floor.
5.) Team: Build a wheelbarrow and use it to move stage weights.
6.) Find the mistakes in the floorplan/hook-up/costume pattern.
7.) Team: Back a bob-tail truck to the loading dock.
8.) Climb to the grid and back down.
9.) Make a two-fer.
10.) Identify everything in a box of hardware.
11.) Team: Build a flat with a hung door/window.
12.) Solder components to a PC board.
13.) Wire a practical torch.
14.) Reassemble a disassembled gel swatch book.
15.) Team: Move a large amount of cable through an obstacle course.

Way advanced for the high school/middle schools this was aimed for...

I love the tie a tie on someone else! I also may steal the identify hardware idea. The simplest ideas get me thinking about new events to add. Thanks!

Ummm here in vegas we had an event they called the Tech Olympics at a high school. it was part of a two day leadership/tech conference. it was pretty awesome. they had one for every main part. cutting a 10 dm circle, rigging, costume, sound, and lights. for sound they had a time limit to hook up mics and monitors to a board and make it work. for lights i had to hang a light plug it in, cut it to a perfect square, and then take it all down. it was pretty awesome.

I would recommend having a few bad instruments "pre-faulted" and seeing who can correctly diagnose and repair a lamp fixture the fastest (have a short inside or a "frayed" wire somewhere hidden in the cable.

If you want to do somethig with gels, give them some gel cuts and several different companies swatch books and have them identify them. This happens in the wild way more than it should. :)

old topic but hey... good ideas here...
A few that we do at my university are;
Hang and Focus a light
Sew a button
Quick change someone blindfolded (Cus hey it's dark backstage)
Set up a microphone, stand and all and plug it in.
Charades
Props table (bunch of props... having to put them in their spot on the table with just the minimum outline)

One that we did in class that took a bit more time was a communication challenge. Our prof had made an object and we had a chain of command we had to follow to build it. One person was allowed to look at the object and then report back to the next person. That next person was allowed to talk to the builder of the object. The builder was allowed to talk to the buyer of the supplies. It was really fun and really good in teaching us just how to be specific on what we wanted.

At the CITT student night we did a junk challenge where we had to get a ping pong ball into the center of this circle on the floor. We had a bunch of things to use, paper bag, rubber bands, stickey notes ect and we could use them any way we wished.

I did something similar back in high school. It was very fun and became a yearly thing. What we did was first have everyone line up with a power drill. In front of them was a 2by4 with 4 different sized screws in it, 4 different sized screws on the ground, and a broken head screw in the wood too. The first one to unscrew, screw in, and pull out the broken one wins. Mind you there was some swearing involved but it was all good fun.
Another game we did was name that tool. We had all the tools out on a table and had labels scattered around the building. It had a scavenger hunt twist on it.
And the final game we did was, put together a ellipsoidal source four, plug it in, focus it, and write a cue. The fasted one wins.

Hope this helped out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back