Tech Roles for visually impaired

Aaron Clarke

So, as I've worked to grow the student tech involvement with our youth theatre I was presented with student that is legally blind, though she has a slight bit of vision, who wants to get involved with tech.

I'm certainly not a person that would say an impairment of this should keep them out of something that want to do, but its not something I personally have dealt with and I feel a but stumped as to where to start. I was hoping some of you out there may have some insight as to how I could approach getting this student involved and if anyone had similar experiences. Our group has always approached with the attitude that anyone can do anything and us adult leaders are just there to facility and coach the students own ambition and skill, we say no to no one.

I appreciate the help and if for any reason someone want to message me rather than post here please let me know.

She can definitely still wrap mic cables. I do that mostly by feel these days anyways. I would also take a look at different board op jobs that she could do. Can she see a computer screen? Otherwise I bet she can tell the difference between the go and the stop button. Just make sure the sm can see the monitor and make sure she's in the right cue! I once had a 3/4 deaf sound board operator that was great at her job, I had to set the eqs but she could hear feedback building and bring channels up and down. She still runs sound for her brother-in-laws band if I recall. I personally love the idea of a legally blind light board op!!!

How's her hearing?

If she has good taste in audio, she could sound op and largely run an audio desk by feel once she figures out the order of knobs on each rail.

I'm thinking lighting technician probably isn't for her, though depending on what degree she can make out a distant target (round blob would suffice) she could probably run followspot.

I feel like in scenarios where seeing what's happening on stage is an issue, she could probably also op lighting if someone on comms can call the show in a sufficiently detailed manner.

A braile script and a headset could make her great as a cue caller, with some help for the few visual calls of course. The ability to focus is a great asset!

@Aaron Clarke ASK HER what she is most interested in doing!
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Definitely ask her what she'd like to do first. Most people have had to live through life with their set of abilities and know what they are and aren't comfortable doing.
Just today, I was at the cafeteria at work getting soup and a girl with no legs and one arm in an electric wheelchair rolls up to the soup. I politely ask her if she needs any help. She says nope, and that's all there is to it.

Definitely ask her what she'd like to do first. Most people have had to live through life with their set of abilities and know what they are and aren't comfortable doing.
Just today, I was at the cafeteria at work getting soup and a girl with no legs and one arm in an electric wheelchair rolls up to the soup. I politely ask her if she needs any help. She says nope, and that's all there is to it.
@macsound You're reminding me of two very old lines from a very cruel series known generically as "the man with no arms or legs" series:
1; What was the man with no limbs in a pile of leaves called
2; What was the man with no limbs called who was being mauled by a tiger??
Answers: 1; Russel (Rustle) 2; Claude (Clawed)
I did warn you.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@macsound If / when the time is right, PLEASE tell your lady she has my total respect and I'd be interested to learn what she makes of herself in her remaining years.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@macsound If / when the time is right, PLEASE tell your lady she has my total respect and I'd be interested to learn what she makes of herself in her remaining years.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Never saw her before, so not even sure if she works here or if she somehow snuck into the cafeteria without anyone noticing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back