Tech slang?

One that seems to have fallen out of favor in recent years, probably for the best, is the CH. As in "take a CH off that board". Or for the very minute length adjustment, you could take off a red CH.

One that seems to have fallen out of favor in recent years, probably for the best,
Somebody brought that up the other day in the office. I'm surprised they are still working here.... Frog Hair, Finer than Frog hair.

Last edited:
One that seems to have fallen out of favor in recent years, probably for the best, is the CH. As in "take a CH off that board". Or for the very minute length adjustment, you could take off a red CH.
Oops! I just got deleted for inappropriate / unsuitable "tech(ie) slang. [and I'm not surprised.]
Toodleo!
Ron Hebbard

Somebody brought that up the other day in the office. I'm surprised they are still working here.... Frog Hair, Finer than Frog hair.

Much less offensive :cool:. My go to for this is "take off half a kerf." Easy to say, lots of alliterative sounds, and doesn't offend anyone yet.

Much less offensive :cool:. My go to for this is "take off half a kerf." Easy to say, lots of alliterative sounds, and doesn't offend anyone yet.
@bobgaggle Four or five decades ago up here north of the walls,
"Fine, fine; mighty fine: Fine as the hairs on a frog's back." was commonly heard; to my limited knowledge, not even our frog's took offence; several were even heard croaking their approvals with pride regarding how mighty fine their back-hairs were purported to be.
I'll leave my deleted term to disintegrate / dissipate to its half-life in a liquid and vapor tight underground vault somewhere.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

"Jackwagoned" -- A piece of gear that was working adequately at the last stop and now is non-functional/broken into many pieces not associated with the object's edges/not in its assigned case(s)/left behind.

"Crud Muffin(ed)" -- A cable or cables (esp. soco) that were placed into the correct crate(s) clean and then arrived at the next stop covered in: The coffee that was tossed into the crate prior to the lid going on/Bodily fluids.../Truck lubricants or fuel/Paint (usually Rosco CK blue or green for some unknown reason)/Battery acid (not enough to damage the cabling a whole lot, but enough to ruin your clothes and burn your skin)/Vindaloo.

"nub" -- A leftover from my submarine days... A freshly minted technician full of ideas and dreams that have yet to have some reality poured over their morning Wheaties. One who is Eager but not as Useful as you (or anyone else) would like. Technically an acronym; Not Useful Being.

Interesting... are swivelburgers a subset of cheeseburgers in this context, or are those terms used exclusively?
Definitely a subset. All Burgers are cheeseburgers but not all burgers are swivel burgers. A codicil to this being the a swivel burger can be a burger but a burger cant be a swivelburger.

:rolleyes: ;) :p

Definitely a subset. All Burgers are cheeseburgers but not all burgers are swivel burgers. A codicil to this being the a swivel burger can be a burger but a burger cant be a swivelburger.

:rolleyes: ;) :p
@Van "Codicil" and "ontological", both posted on Dave's Control Booth Forum on the same day; Impressive, Ontological sent me to my Funk and Wagnall's, I don't think it had previously penetrated little Donnie's walls.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
@Van "Codicil" and "octological", both posted on Dave's Control Booth Forum on the same day; Impressive, Octological sent me to my Funk and Wagnall's, I don't think it had previously penetrated little Donnie's walls.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Ontological with an N. It basically just says this exists because it does or must. St. Anselm Ontological argument for the existence of God was: "That which nothing greater can be conceived." Which is patently ridiculous but it holds sway among religious scholars to this day...

Talk about a hijack; how did we get from Tech Slang to Religious philosophy?

One that I love: Fustercluck. Anytime someone unwittingly creates a giant mess through ignorance (or idiocy) I always throw it out there, with a very facetious undertone. “Oh, what a fustercluck.” The best part is, anyone with 1% or more dyslexia immediately corrects it in their head, and anyone else who hasn’t (somehow miraculously) heard it stops, thinks, and then realizes.

Use responsibly.

One that I love: Fustercluck. Anytime someone unwittingly creates a giant mess through ignorance (or idiocy) I always throw it out there, with a very facetious undertone. “Oh, what a fustercluck.” The best part is, anyone with 1% or more dyslexia immediately corrects it in their head, and anyone else who hasn’t (somehow miraculously) heard it stops, thinks, and then realizes.

Use responsibly.
@NateTheRiddler
In the same vein & with the same cautions: "It's not as if it was Rocket Surgery" and keep right on walkin'.
Later the same day or a couple of days later. "Well it's not like it was Brain Science" and keep right on walkin'.

Thirty seconds later they're going to be thinking:
1; "What did he say???"
2; "Is he phuqued in the head, dyslexic or, or, or?

Bottom Line: Leave 'em wondering; seeing how long it takes them to put it together will tell YOU Either:
a
; More about THEM than you ever wanted to know.
OR
b; More about THEM you NEVER wanted to know.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Yes for good reasons the contraction for diagonal cutters has taken the same path as rch.
“We’re not building a piano” is still used by some who went to a certain HS in Virginia. And just “son of a” with hand motions came out of Va. Tech in about 78.

Use responsibly.
I have the minor lysdexia that often comes with ADHD. Seems to be getting worse as of late, especially when typing..... When talking, I frequently swap words in sentences, eg: I'm going to pull the garage in to the car. I catch it a little more than half of the time. Depending on who's around determines whether I correct myself or not. The rest of the time people either correct me or just look at me with a stupid look on their face trying to figure out what I just said or trying to decide if it was on purpose or if I know I did it. Always fun. Drives my wife nuts, but not as much as switching letters in words. I do that on purpose more than accidentally. You gotta be careful with some such as tape rule though. Go ahead, I'll give you a minute....

Anyway.... I often do it just to see if it actually makes sense and/or is funny. Naturally, I can't really think of any good ones currently, but they will come flooding to me as soon as I hit the post button. Right.... now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back