Tech Table Designs

mrtrudeau23

Premium Member
So, I've been trying to brainstorm ideas to redesign our tech tables into something a little more usable between our 2 theaters (with different row heights, etc) and more ergonomically friendly.
The vast majority of what we have are the typical folding back legs with the front resting on the backs of the seats (little table with the white gaff surround #8599 and #8600).
Our lighting designer table is a little more advanced with fold up adjustable legs for the 2 spaces and built-in power strip. Completely free standing. It works well for what we use it for, but it is a 2 person carry and set-up. Super heavy and really awkward if you don't know how it works.
What are your tech tables like? How are they built? What would you change/add? Photos encouraged!!

Attachments

• IMG-8599.JPG
    IMG-8599.JPG
    388.2 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG-8600.JPG
    IMG-8600.JPG
    397.6 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG-8601.JPG
    IMG-8601.JPG
    454.1 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG-8602.JPG
    IMG-8602.JPG
    499.4 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG-8603.JPG
    IMG-8603.JPG
    328.2 KB · Views: 449
We are fortunate in our 2 larger theaters to have a L/R aisle mid-house, so can just plop down 6ft. folders and some comfortable chairs. I really hate having to build a table that sits across the audience seats.

This article I read a few years ago has really got me thinking on this. I like that adjustable leg idea @sk8rsdad. Seems like a cheap and efficient way to do that. Do you also use the Ikea tables or make your own?

This is a real struggle indeed, and often indeed does not get the consideration it truly requires. It also depends very much on venue, based on how the seating is set up...

One of my venues (smallish blackbox) has loose chairs so I delete all the chairs in the middle of two rows and then have to figure something out, either I use risers to raise the level for where the chair goes (1' rise between each riser) or I need a table that I can extend by 1' (or more) to get a comfortable seating position. Same goes with when I set up a in house mix position. Better than some theatres but still not ideal... I've long wanted to build custom tables (and told by PM that if I draw something up they'll have the IA carpenters build it for me), but I seem to never find the time to design it (plus I have little experience designing something like this (hey anyone want to help??).
My IDEA is to have a table say 24-30" deep with lips; that I can raise and lower easily between normal table height and say 2' taller, and can be tilted (like a drafting table) as sometimes this may be ideal. If the tilt allows full vertical this can be a feature to allow for easier storage perhaps... Thoughts?
OF course with built in power.

Another venue I frequent has set seating but has a nice level area that can be fitted with a 6' table and some office chairs. This is great.

Another again has the old desk that fits over the seats in front and a bench that fits on the seats to make for a more appropriate height. Last time I sat there for a while it was horrible. But I've heard they've made some improvements that I haven't seen.

The Grand's Spriet stage also has custom tables that fit over the rows in front, but I never have to sit behind them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back