Tech Theater Class

Two quick ideas assignments/lessons I've liked for design.

-Have the students pick out a number of magazine and newspaper photos (fashion photos are especially good), then ask the students to use shadows and highlights to identify the location of the light sources, which is the key and which are the fills.

-Give students a script and have them go through to identify the requirements for one or multiple areas of design. They should be able to make props lists, set requirements, Costume plots, Key lighting info and cue locations, and sound cues. This should be the first step in any design process, and I find that many young technicians come in not knowing how to spot the applicable details in scripts (or worse only reading the stage directions and missing important components of the script altogether).

As far as my education went, I think one of the most important things that got missed was the importance of well organized paperwork. If you have access to programs like LightWright or similar software, make sure that they know not only how to use it, but the importance of it. If they are doing light/sound design, they better be able to understand how to read the floor plans and elevations of the scenic design, unlike many designers that I have worked with in the past. When they are creating their light plot, are they keeping in mind what it will take when it comes to the focus and cueing?

Make sure that they can read a rider and know how it applies to their own system (ok, that might be a little more advanced). In your situation it may be necessary.

You mention doing the event in the gym. That's a great time to illustrate the differences in the EQ of the room and the different ways you need to light a more dynamic space. See how few trips you can make in moving your gear by having them determine the needs of the space before taking anything over. It's amazing how often audio adapters are forgotten.

I'm still trying to decide on a good design program. I applied for and received the student level version of Vector Works since that is what our current light plots were printed on. I just haven't spent the time to learn 2D CAD software.

Howie J

First off get to know Sketchup. It's awesome for helping design things and it's free. Just go to Google SketchUp Although it's not CAD, it would be a great introduction to drafting tools for high school students. Beyond that Vectorworks with Lightwright is rapidly becoming the industry standard (if it isn't already). You can design your set in Vectorworks, then hang spotlights and see what it all looks like, hit a button and all the paperwork you need is generated in Lightwright. Can't beat it.

I think the most important thing for you to do is to teach how to operate your school's equipment and to teach the "why" behind how things work. That way students can think on their feet when things don't work. I think the basic goal of a high school tech program should be to teach all students how to be a proficient operator of all the gear in house and also an understanding of what's going on underneath the hood of the system. You do that and you are preparing students to be great crew members for you and to have a nice broad preparation for more intense college work.

I completely agree with you. You pretty much just stated my class goals.

-Teach them how to operate the gear in the space
-Teach them "why" things happen or are done a certain way
-Be safe doing it.

I've been around in audio long enough to know that once you know the theory, gear, etc., everyone develops their own "style" to doing things. Whether it's audio, lighting, etc.

I dug into audio today by lecturing on sound and it's properties. Frequency spectrum, amplitude, phase, a bit about fundamentals and overtones, SPL levels and threshold of pain, equal loudness curves and how we perceive sound. Friday I'm going to take them into the space and play with the oscillator on the board and noise generator so they actually get an idea of the phenomena and theory I was yapping about today.

There is so much I want to talk about on the theory side, but 1. lecturing for 80 minutes is killer on them AND me, (I went through 18 PP slides today) and 2. There HAS to be hands on experience for this, or for some it just won't sink in. I know it didn't completely sink in for me until I got to play with the gear.

BJH

I think you are right on. I like to hit em hard with all the physics first. Then step back and show them what that means in the real world. It makes the physics real and it makes it clear that we are doing more than just pushing buttons for fun. There is science and art involved in all that we do. The same technique works for light and sound really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back