Techie Clothing

Depends on the type of venue. If I am working a school concert or small musical I will wear semi formal clothing (all black) which just means clean jeans and a nice shirt. When I work in the professional theater, I actually dress up in a suit. typically though for a school techie, you should probably wear all black, but make sure it is clean and semi formal.

For tools, that is ones that I would consider part of clothing, I would strongly recommend a Leatherman Wave and a AA LED Maglite. I normally don't like to advertise companies, but for me my leatherman and Maglite are my two tools that I always have on my belt while working theatre. You might not need them all the time but when you do need them you will be glad you have them. And if you don't have them, you'll wish you did.
Clothing wise: for shows I use black dress pants and a black long sleeve t shirt. For formal day to day work (ie. working with a professional group in the local community theatre) I'll usually wear a black shirt with normal jeans.

I make good use of my tools. I always have my Leatherman with me, it is a CORE actually. And i also always have my AA LED Flashlight. I recently found an LED upgrade kit that includes an IQ push button switch. It has, i think four or five different settings for the lights intesity. The LED is a 1 bulb LED light. It's my new favorite, and you can beat a push button light.

I was able to find a pair of black pants at kohls i think the brand is urban pipe line or something. Not exactly a brand that i would have thought of but they are cargo pants that look pretty good, they look like nice black cargo pants not too baggy but enough pocket space for plenty of stuff. Thanks for the suggestion of looking at kolhs i wouldn't have thought of that. I also checked out the Red Wing black oxfords. I decided to get a pair and i love them, they are very comfortable. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Personal, professional, and now fashion advice, brought to you by the many fine folks at Control Booth!

Well, the un-official shoe of the touring lighting professional is Merrell. I like many others wear the Chameleon II Stretch. The guys on my last tour convinced me these shoes are the way to go. I have tried every shoe out there and these by far are the only ones I can wear for 18+ hours straight and still feel like i've just put them on an hour ago. They hold up pretty well too. What I really like about them is you don't have to break them in at all and your feet don't sweat in them like mine usually do. For those needing black... they come in that color as well!

As far as clothing... idk, i wear shorts most show days and a t-shirt . Maybe the occasional hoodie for those cold arena's.

Well, the un-official shoe of the touring lighting professional is Merrell. I like many others wear the Chameleon II Stretch. The guys on my last tour convinced me these shoes are the way to go. I have tried every shoe out there and these by far are the only ones I can wear for 18+ hours straight and still feel like i've just put them on an hour ago. They hold up pretty well too. What I really like about them is you don't have to break them in at all and your feet don't sweat in them like mine usually do. For those needing black... they come in that color as well!
As far as clothing... idk, i wear shorts most show days and a t-shirt . Maybe the occasional hoodie for those cold arena's.

Your resumé and contact sections list different addresses...?

Pretty sure we are talking about clothing not what my website says.

But if you really must know, the code for my site got corrupted and the only way for me to change my address is create a new website. So if you know flash and think you can figure it out, then by all means I'll send you the file to figure out.

Pretty sure we are talking about clothing not what my website says.
But if you really must know, the code for my site got corrupted and the only way for me to change my address is create a new website. So if you know flash and think you can figure it out, then by all means I'll send you the file to figure out.
Chris, just ignore him.
He knows that if he doesn't behave I will call some people and he'll be in a harness 20 stories up the side of a skyscraper in Philadelphia once the ether wears off.

Last edited:
Chris, just ignore him.
He knows that if he doesn't behave I will call some people and he'll be in a harness 20 stories up the side of a skyscraper in Philadelphia once the ether wears off.

:oops: Sorry Chris...

So on the subject of clothing: whatever is comfortable: jeans + hoodie for me.

However, if running a show, like as a board op, I've learned it's important to identify yourself as part of the crew. This can either be head-to-toe black, or a shirt with a printed affiliation.

A quick question for girls...where do you find black cargo pants? I find it exceedinly difficult to find any real, practical pants for myself, let alone black cargoes for working. My one pair is worn so thin that I can rip them with my fingers now. Any tips?

While I've never purposefully shopped in the women's section, would these work for your needs?

This may sound crazy, but try looking in punk and or "hip" type stores. I worked with a girl at my old school, who had these kind of "goth" type pants. I don't know if thats the best way to describe them, or where she got them, but they had a lot of pockets and loops etc.

She definitely wasn't the punk type tough.

Tripps?. Most designs are probably too long/too baggy to be safe, but worth a try.

Or here's the Raver favorite

Last edited:
I wear black jeans on a day to day basis. I have some that are fairly new and still look black. Those are for days when I non-formal shows or I have to deal with the "administrative" duties of my job. I can't show up to a budget meeting with the School VP dressed like slumlord. I have some used-to-be-black jeans that are faded to grey and covered with paint from working in the shop. But everything always started out black. I don't like cargos, they fit too baggy for my preference.
Shirts are also black. I have Fruit of the Loom Pocket T-shirts for day-to-day wear. I have black long sleeved T-shirts for backstage duty, and Polo shirts for more official jobs. Black sweatshirts for load-ins in cold weather, black Carharts for outdoor gigs in January
For the very Formal or Corporate gigs, I have a suit. I prefer Dockers pants because they are fairly sturdy and still look good. I cringe when I have to crawl around in my fancy dress slacks. Not all of my dress shirts are black, I have some dark grey and navy blue for FOH duty when I need to get dressed up but not look like an undertaker. I also have a couple black dress shirts for backstage duty.
Footwear is simple, Magnum boots, available from Shoe Carnival. I found them to be more comfortable to my feet that Red Wings and they don't cost as much. I have a good black pair, an old black pair, and a pair that I wear in the garden and paint shop. The rule in my theaters is simple: no flip flops or open toe shoes.

If you're in a static venue (ie a school, or theatre not a road show) I'd go for comfort and follow what a lot of others have said and look into Dickies and the like especially cargo pants. I like the punk/goth pants idea might have to wander into the local hot topic sometime soon. If you find yourself doing a lot of load in load out or carpentry or anything thats really gonna wear your clothing out Carhart is worth it's weight in gold in my opinion. There made of thick material and they think about wear and tear. My favorite part being the double layered knees that are not sown in the bottom so when you wear through that first layer you don't end up with a dirt trap in front of you knee. Shirt, look sharp, your not supposed to be seen but you will eventually and you don't want to look like a slob, but I've never found a reason to go past the black t-shirt.

Tools I could go for a while but I'll try not to. I had a Gerber Scout and recently upgraded to a Pro Scout (bigger = better right???) and I love it. The one handed open is a god send when your in one of those situations that are questionably safe and you can safely use both hands on your multi tool. Any leather man is a good choice but to my knowledge none are one hand open. One last suggestion just to throw a wrench in the mix is the Victorinox (aka Swiss Army) swiss tool line. the only reason I bring this line up is that all the tools open to the outside so you never have to open your multi tool unless you actually want to use the pliers. This is also really useful when you just don't have two hands. Best advice is set aside 100 bucks (probably more than you'll need but you're prepaired) go to a knife shop and see what feels good in your hands cause they're all good tools. As for a light, Maglite all the way, I've owned 3 in the last 8 years, lost 2 and finally actually managed to break one beyond repair after 3 1/2 years of owning it (of did I mention I found it in a crawl space so who knows what kind of abuse it took before I got it). Hope that gives you some good ideas

So I spoke too fast the Swiss Tool and the Swiss Tool x open to the inside just like a Leatherman or a Gerber. The Swiss Tool rs does open to the outside though.

Also another late though, I like to carry a plain old pocket knife as well as a multi tool. It's usually easier to get to for quick jobs and I find it easier to to a lot of tasks if i don't have to hold onto the whole multi-tool, specifically splitting pins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back