Techie Clothing

I usually get black jeans and cargos from Kohls. They are cheap enough when on sale and last long enough that I find them acceptable.

I usually don't wear black jeans when working a load out or in, or a build or hang. I really only use black pants for runs and tech. Otherwise, I have found they get gray or dirty to easily. A few good pairs of work pants or jeans, Carhart, Dickies or otherwise, in whatever color your choose, would probably be better for working. Also, I ADORE cargo shorts in the summer.

As for shirts, I own a tremendous amount of black T's, from Fruit of the Loom black pocket T's, to show swag to funny screen print stuff. I like my black T's.

I also have a black hoody, a black polo, and a black dress shirt, and all will see use depending upon occasion.

Shoes: Black CAT boots and black Converse. Boots for build, Converse for running, as I'm usually at a followspot or light board. Haven't tried the other brands for boots yet, I will eventually.

Hey porkchop, I think it's time you get a pin splitter!

You know you are a theatre tech when your laundry consists of a load of blacks and a load of everything else.

Seriously though, your blacks will stay black longer if you wash them without any other colors.

You know you are a theatre tech when your laundry consists of a load of blacks and a load of everything else.
Seriously though, your blacks will stay black longer if you wash them without any other colors.

Its true. That's how I do laundry.

Don't ostracize me: I only own a single set of blacks, and I usually stear clear of them. I believe one simply doesn't need to wear black clothes every-time they step foot in a theatre.

Oh it's not to say that i will give up my C'wrench totally I have yet to find a good place on the UFT to tighten/loosen the smaller of the two bolts on the standard ETC C clamp (don't know the real name, one I use isn't politically correct). But it will especially help for hang when you constantly going from all three sizes on the end of the UFT.

I might as well join in on the fashion discussion. For me it depends on audience exposure. First, I work in a blackbox environment, so I am about three feet from the audience even when running the board. Second, the theater I work for has opening night galas where the designers are encouraged to interact with the patrons (often about thoughts behind designs and such), so I usually will pull out the black dress shirt for that night. Otherwise, it tends to be a black t-shirt and either black pants (cargos if I have a pair that isn't worn out) or black jeans.
As for the contents of my belt, I carry a Gerber Suspension. I haven't heard much talk of it on here, but I love it. Its titanium carbide, so its incredibly durable. Plus, the tools open outside without having to open the multi-tool. Therefore, you only have to open it if you are using the pliers. Another perk (yes, I am cheap, but I prefer to call it thrifty) is that Walmart stocks it. Its like forty bucks. But enough about that. I also carry a Garrity LED flashlight, which comes with red and blue filters (great for working onstage), and a pin splitter if I'm doing hang and focus (otherwise I keep it in my bag in case I have to troubleshoot).

Regarding trying to find cargo pants for females:

Check out Wrangler men's cargo pants. I own several pairs and they fit and work great. If you go online to the Wrangler website you should be able to find a local retailer depending on where you live. You could also try Walmart. They are the store in my area that actually has them in stock in the store and you could probably order them online too. I've had the same problem trying to find cargos for females and the Wrangers are the best I have found so far.

As for my techie clothing: for normal work days (in a high school theatre) jeans or cargos and t-shirts, sometimes sweatshirts, fleece or sweaters in the winter. Summer is shorts and t-shirts. During gigs it depends on the event and the client. Anywhere from jeans and a black t-shirt to nice black pants and a black button down shirt. For school shows the crew dresses in full stage blacks. We have discussed getting a logo designed and getting crew shirts, but we just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I usually wear just regular blue jeans and a shirt of some sort, because nobody cares what the kid behind the light board in the back of the room looks like. When I'm doing camera operator I wear a black shirt and blue jeans. blue jeans are the best... idk why just personal preference.

Interesting...something I've been meaning to ask...

A quick question for girls...where do you find black cargo pants? I find it exceedinly difficult to find any real, practical pants for myself, let alone black cargoes for working. My one pair is worn so thin that I can rip them with my fingers now. Any tips?

I was looking at the Dickies site tonight, here's your answer.

I myself want to give these pants a try.

Why have I never considered Dickies before? They have exactly what I want at the right price. Yay.

Last edited:
Oh I'm smart...you and your LEE ND, I see it has become your latest way to make fun of people.

Yea but you won't rip out your crotch when doing awkward motions while hanging off the back of a set while holding a screw gun.

Or you could be hardcore and get this. It has belt loops, so you can still carry all your stuff.

Myself, I'm thinking of a few Dickies black work shirts.

Last edited:
I have one of those, or at least, something very much like it. Was a tradition for the seniors to buy/wear them during shows. Sadly, the tradition died, but I still have my flight suit...

To expound upon the Army/Navy surplus idea, or more specifically using military gear for tech work: I have worn pairs of 5.11 tactical pants on the job many time, these things have tons of pockets, are built to LAST, and, best of all for catwalks and the like, built-in kneepads!

Clark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back