Techie Clothing

:confused:I'm cool now? When did that happen?:confused:

I've been doing continuous shows for 7 1/5 weeks now. I had a temporary moment of weakness, but I'll get over it.....:oops:

...my black Dickies pants (I don't know the exact make, they're the cheap ones with pockets... I can look if people actually care) are great for long work days. They get a beating, but they vent well in the heat, and are just right for outdoor night gigs. :)
Update: One pair of them has recently sprung a nasty hole in the back pocket, either due to my car key* and leatherman micra carabiner or my c-wrench. Both of those take turns in that pocket clipped to the belt loop. I bought two pairs at the beginning of summer. So maybe they aren't so great.... :(
*Which isn't a key, it's a fob that also starts the car.

Ahh this is a great thread... I've been using black jeans, but i don't like them as much as I feel i should like my blacks. I'll definitely have to check out some of the pants you guys posted up.

For my shirt, I have a couple of these lands end turtle neck black shirts that i really like. In blue light the do turn red though. I'm looking for shirts that don't do that lol (Short of shirts made out of duvetyne hah)

My boots that I wear for all of my calls (anything from run crew to strike) are Dr. Martin high top leather steel toed. I love them. They're large, but extremely comfortable and light. I have always heard people complain about steel toes being heavy, but these feel like normal boots to me. I love them to death. Plus they have the good old Dr Martin soles which are acid/ base/ oil/ resistant, an excellent grippy rubber, etc. great for on the job.

All through high school I wore the same black jeans and black shirt. I don't think I ever had black shoes though. Just a few weeks ago I got black cargo's from Old Navy, and black Converse All Stars (I wish they had steel toes... maybe I'll work on that...)

For my shirt, I have a couple of these lands end turtle neck black shirts that i really like. In blue light the do turn red though. I'm looking for shirts that don't do that lol (Short of shirts made out of duvetyne hah)

So far as I know, there is no true black die. If I remember correctly from the costuming class I took nearly 15 years ago, black fabric is made with either a super saturated red dye or a super saturated blue dye. One will appear red under blue light while the other will appear blue under red light.

My boots that I wear for all of my calls (anything from run crew to strike) are Dr. Martin high top leather steel toed. I love them. They're large, but extremely comfortable and light. I have always heard people complain about steel toes being heavy, but these feel like normal boots to me. I love them to death. Plus they have the good old Dr Martin soles which are acid/ base/ oil/ resistant, an excellent grippy rubber, etc. great for on the job.

I prefer Red Wings myself, but the weight issues are similar. I've been wearing these boots for so many years that I only notice how heavy they are on the rare occasions when I wear some other type of footwear. Strangely, I actually walk more quietly wearing my steel toed work boots than when I'm wearing my tennis shoes. I'm somewhat notorious at the Pageant for scaring people half to death (sometimes unintentionally) because they don't hear me coming when I walk up behind them while wearing my size 11 1/2 steel toes.

So far as I know, there is no true black die. If I remember correctly from the costuming class I took nearly 15 years ago, black fabric is made with either a super saturated red dye or a super saturated blue dye. One will appear red under blue light while the other will appear blue under red light.

I prefer Red Wings myself, but the weight issues are similar. I've been wearing these boots for so many years that I only notice how heavy they are on the rare occasions when I wear some other type of footwear. Strangely, I actually walk more quietly wearing my steel toed work boots than when I'm wearing my tennis shoes. I'm somewhat notorious at the Pageant for scaring people half to death (sometimes unintentionally) because they don't hear me coming when I walk up behind them while wearing my size 11 1/2 steel toes.

Yeah, I think you're right :p But then why doesn't Duvetyne turn red or blue? It's like it's some special black... Iono. xD

Hahaha I'm exactly the same way - my Dr. Martins have such a soft sole that my 13.5 feet can sneak up on people :p

Even though I'm way late giving my opinion, thought I'd give it anyways. For girls pants I've found that the Amanda Bynes collection at Steve & Barry's has some pretty decent black cargoes. I have 3 or 4 pairs. Shoes...it's kind of a tradition at my school to have Harley Davidson boots when you're one of the "in charge" people and I love mine. We have tech shirts with the school name on them so shirts are easy. And sadly, I haven't yet gotten a Leatherman (although I have my eye on the Surge) or a flashlight.

And sadly, I haven't yet gotten a Leatherman (although I have my eye on the Surge) or a flashlight.

I highly recommend at least getting yourself a mini maglite ASAP (usually less than $10). While a Leatherman or equivalent is nice, they are less necessary for regular use. I'd ask for one for Christmas. :^)

I already have lol. My parents think I'm crazy. I'm going to try and go to Cabella's this weekend for a flashlight. My friend said they have the LED ones that you can switch from white to blue or red. I'll see. I have spent way too many shows wasting valuable time in the stairwell to keep from tripping in the dark. :lol:

Good deal. I got my first Leatherman for graduation. Another good light to consider is a Petzl head lamp. While this model is more expensive than many other lights on this thread and others, it offers flexibility beyond the high quality light; you can wrap it around your arm, or your harness, or whatever you need.

I also like to stick with flashlights that use the same batteries the sound guys use for their wireless. When they discard the batteries because they aren't reliable for the mic, they usually still have quite a bit of life for my flashlight (usually AA).

I also like to stick with flashlights that use the same batteries the sound guys use for their wireless. When they discard the batteries because they aren't reliable for the mic, they usually still have quite a bit of life for my flashlight (usually AA).

Same thing I do. People wonder why I go through "so many" batteries, but I haven't paid for a AA battery for years.

Good deal. I got my first Leatherman for graduation. Another good light to consider is a Petzl head lamp. While this model is more expensive than many other lights on this thread and others, it offers flexibility beyond the high quality light; you can wrap it around your arm, or your harness, or whatever you need.

I used to do this, but in an effort to go green, our sound department has gone rechargeable. Oh, and the batteries in my last minimag blew up inside it rendering it unusable... I should get another...

I used to do this, but in an effort to go green, our sound department has gone rechargeable. Oh, and the batteries in my last minimag blew up inside it rendering it unusable... I should get another...

Yeah, there is the danger of putting two batteries with significantly different charge in them. I learned the hard way and meter all my batteries before putting them in these days.

i know some one mention the head lamp earlier but i got an nother similar suggestion.. i use maglites, mostly minis, all the time.. but when hanging off the catwalk trying to rest a vl3000, that extra hand can help, im frequently in Home Depot and one thing they sell every now and then are baseball caps with two bright leds in the edge of the brim... im a guy with long blonde hair ( think surfer) and the stupid hat, as simple as it is, is a great help to me... not only does it keep my hair outa my face, its pitch black, and the leds, although not 1watt powerhouses, definatly get the job done... keep that in mind if u happen to be in the same position...

You mean you can't fix a flashlight? There's probably just a bunch of crud from the batteries in there. Just clean it out and maybe replace the lamp and it should work. Remember this is a very simple circuit.

You mean you can't fix a flashlight? There's probably just a bunch of crud from the batteries in there. Just clean it out and maybe replace the lamp and it should work. Remember this is a very simple circuit.

For the time and effort involved with cleaning and repairing a flashlight, I may as well just buy a new one, especially with the sister discount I can get at my local hardware store. My sister works there, so I give her the money and she buys it at a significant discount.:mrgreen:

I replaced my mini mag with a Gerber Cornea. Same price but brighter.
Still carry a mini mag as a back up (other techs on my crew always borrow flashlights cause they never bring their own!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back