Techie Clothing

i work with a guy that uses a climbing chalk bag when we work electrics, putting all his wrenches and such in there. it actually works quite well and im thinking about using his idea. gives u much easier access then putting them in your pockets.

I really like my setwear tool belt for that. Pockets are so uncomfortable, and they pull your pants down, stretching your belt. One issue with my bag, however, is that putting dykes and a wrench with a pointy bit on it in there has ripped it in a few places... Thank god for a nice costume shop supervisor. As for flashlights, I tend to like my surefire LED light, 80 lumens output. Only problem: 11 hour battery life. I usually also have on hand my Petzl headlamp, with a blue diffusion filter available. Great for work on electrics when your already using both hands, a mouth and an elbow to hold things.

I have a few pairs on the union bay cargos, they used to sell them at kohls. I think I bout about 4 pairs about 5 or so years ago, so mine are in well... interesting shape. When I do have to wear blacks, though rarely, its usually those pants, either my all black sketchers (which double as "looks good with jeans" wear) or my red wings, some random black shirt, and to top it off.. the best hoodie ever. Really. Its the best hoodie EVER. Go, look at it, if you don't think this is the best hoodie ever, you are insane. Go. Look. Really. Microfleece Hoodies from SCOTTEVEST/SeV with Many Hidden Pockets ? Zip Up Hoodie Sweatshirts ? Buy Fleece Hoodies

Ahh, close, but not quite: - LOKI GEAR - Product Details - Morf Pullover Hoodie

The tech crew at my highschool, the year I left started to buy black golf-shirts for any newly established crew member with the School logo, School Name and "Tech Crew" written on the breast of the shirt. They are asked to wear black dress/work/jeans, and black shoes (often steel-toes).

My dress depends on the show I am running and I role I hold for it.
Often this is a black dress shirt, and black pants, with either black dress shoes or black steel-toes.

I usually have a Mini-maglight (for some shows I pull out the full-size mag holster), and I always have a knife in my pocket. Also a multi-tool, etc when needed for the show.

I usually wear black Wrangler relaxed fit jeans and a black Dickies Work shirt (long-sleeve or short-sleeve depends on the gig/show). I have a pair of Brahma steel-toed sneakers. On occasions where I need more storage space on my person, I'll wear black BDUs. For dressier occasions, I have another pair of Brahma shoes that are meant for the food service industry; the heels are air-cushioned and the tread is non-slip, etc. so you can stay on your feet all day with no problems.

On my belt I keep my Leatherman, my Mini Maglite LED, and my cell phone holder/holster (procured from an Army/Navy store after some Rottweiler ripped the other one right off my thigh).

In my pockets I keep my knife, custom earplugs, moleskin notebook, and Setwear gloves.

By the way - if you're looking for an extremely bright, affordable flashlight (aka "torch"), Home Depot has a really nice one for like $40USD that outputs 90 lumens and has a great battery life. Takes AAA batteries, so you don't have to worry about spending more for proprietary ones.

if you're looking for an extremely bright, affordable flashlight (aka "torch"), Home Depot has a really nice one for like $40USD that outputs 90 lumens and has a great battery life. Takes AAA batteries, so you don't have to worry about spending more for proprietary ones.

If you are cheap like me, have a look at supermarkets and the like - I found an aluminium torch with 9 led's for $12AUD! And its also AAA's. I did the maths, and one set of batteries will last 6.5 years!

If you are cheap like me, have a look at supermarkets and the like - I found an aluminium torch with 9 led's for $12AUD! And its also AAA's. I did the maths, and one set of batteries will last 6.5 years!

Well, thats doubtful. Are you sure your not reading the LED life? THats usually like 50,000 hours, but the batteries usually last a lot less. My mini-mag goes through a set every few weeks, and my Surefire goes thru a set every 2 weeks. Course, its an 80 lumen LED tactical torch, so its kinda bright. But yeah, even LED torches tend to burn batteries, especially when they are on all the time like mine tend to be.

I would say Black BDU's are my favorite, definitely get Summer Issue though, they are much cooler. You can find them online many places, or at your local Police/ Public Safety Supply Store. Maybe even an army thrift store.

I agree with Bull on this one, black battle dress is top notch. One revision though: I usually go with black TDU rip-stop nylon pants, or the summer version of those, due to the fact that they have integrated kneepads. Makes the entire day better, and the shirts have integrated elbow pads. Im wondering if the flash-resistant coveralls for welding and whatnot. I usually go to LA Police Gear to get my gear, they are usually running a deal for free socks or something, and they also send free hats with the orders. I tend to wear blacks most of the time, so I value something I can wear all day. Same reason I wear 5.11 combat boots in black with safety toes, can wear them all day. I also have a pair in tan that i got for both of my cousins in the service right now, but thats for sentiment, not work.

ooh 5.11's are the best. and I would agree rip stop TDU's are probably better... i'm just broke, and for me, BDU's are cheaper, also I am a SM and LD so I haven't found much use for kneepads lately, i am mostly climbing or standing at a podium :/

Yeah, I do mostly ME and LD work, but have recently been working hard to develop carp skills, and been kicking around the costume shop as well. I think they think its funny that A: Im the only guy there, and B: Im always the one who looks like they are about to go out with the SWAT team... Over the winter production, I will actually get to sew stuff, which I think is cool... Im not varying my wardrobe tho!

Quite a few guys (including myself) on prior tours I've been on have used Blundstone 510's. Very comfortable, waterproof, and stylish. I even wear them out to the clubs after the show! Throw on a dress shirt and your good to go!

For jeans I only wear dark True Religions. Ok, they might set you back a few hondo, but they're **** comfortable.

People will take you alot more seriously the more professional you dress on show site. Plus local stagehands will think your management and not expect you to work that hard and/or bother you with stupid questions! haha

I just dropped a bunch of coin on clothes for my gig that starts tomorrow. 5 pairs of thermal underwear, 7 pairs of wool socks, balaclava, Sherpa fleece jackets, insulated overalls ... oh yeah did I mention its outdoor theatre in Canada in December?

Caravan Farm Theatre

I'll be back to my normal blacks in January ...

I should mention that during the run of a play, when I dont need to crawl around and whatnot, I switch to H&M no-iron shirts in black, and some nice H&M black pants I found on the sale rack. If im in a particularly good mood, a black tie and sweater or even the matching jacket for the pants goes on (it was a suit, like 90 bucks, my size. rocken).

You could always go with the classic at my school. For the shirt and pants, dickies. As for the shoes, converse, blackouts.

For a while now we've wanted to get long, black, billowing cloaks with hoods. I don't know why, but this seems uber cool. Perhaps add a long walking stick to hit people with.

For a while now we've wanted to get long, black, billowing cloaks with hoods. I don't know why, but this seems uber cool. Perhaps add a long walking stick to hit people with.

It would be even better to have candles and whatnot, have the hallways and whatnot backstage be lit with old candelabras, and then wear black cloaks all the time, and walk in lines slowly with your hands in the opposite sleeve, a la monks. Also, chanting in latin might add to the effect. If you start it at the beginning of the year, your actors wont be messing around with too many of your crew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back