Techie Clothing

Hey all.. i've got a question that i'm sure many of you have opinions about and i was just wondering what works.. I building my inventory of techie clothing, footwear, and accessories.. ie flashlights, multitools etc. Does any one have any suggestions on good techie blacks. Especially pants.. i cant seem to find just the right ones for the job. I need blacks to wear for shows and stuff and althought i've been at this for quite awhile i can seem to find anything thats "just right".. but anyway not just tech pants but shoes, shirts if theres an amazing suggestion that works better than a regular old tshirt, and any accessories that would be good for the job. Prefered brands and where did you get them at would also be great. Thanks!

Well this is for the guys out there.

Back when i was a hs tech guy one of my favorites was the black unionbays survivors. Although later on I found some lame ass but comfortable black cargos made by tony hawk clothing. BUT, nowadays for COMFORT reasons I would have to prefer black jeans of some sort. But then again straight up I don't remember the last time I was a hand and had to wear blacks out on stage. So as an audio engineer I get the privilege to wear comfy jeans or whatever I may prefer that day.

On the subject of footwear I USE to enjoy wearing black caterpillar sneakers with the steel toe or black timberland hiking shoes. HOWEVER, then again as I mentioned now b/c of comfort. I learned over the years that wearing boots and stuff like that kills my back, and I would much rather like most of my coworkers wear comfortable walking sneakers that are darker colored. A lot of stagehands prefer New Balance 473 Trail running shoes for pure comfort. They just don't offer steel toe obviously.

I have a few pairs on the union bay cargos, they used to sell them at kohls. I think I bout about 4 pairs about 5 or so years ago, so mine are in well... interesting shape. When I do have to wear blacks, though rarely, its usually those pants, either my all black sketchers (which double as "looks good with jeans" wear) or my red wings, some random black shirt, and to top it off.. the best hoodie ever. Really. Its the best hoodie EVER. Go, look at it, if you don't think this is the best hoodie ever, you are insane. Go. Look. Really. http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/40_hoodie.shtml

Pair of black cargo pants from the thrift shop, black Merrell mocs (suprisingly comfortable, and no reflective surfaces - just flat black) for shoes, and a Dickies black work shirt (if I'm out in the house running sound) or a black t-shirt. Usually a basic black belt as well, just to hold the leatherman holster and Streamlight holster.

Redwing WORX 6550 Oxford
Men's Composite Toe Oxford
Soft Polyurethane Coated Leather
Removable Polyurethane Footbed
Superior Slip Resistant SSRT Black Sole
ASTM F 2413-05, M I/75 C/75 Composite Toe EH
Electrical Hazard Resistant
http://www.redwingworx.com/order/6550.htm

I love these, they are large but surprisingly light.
They are now my everyday shoe for Spring, Summer, and part of Fall.

www.dickies.com

pants: 874 Traditional Work Pant, BLACK, of course
shirts: 5521 Blended Polo Shirt, Black
shoes: any good quality all-black cross-training or walking shoe

and it's "technician," or "tech;" not "techie."

I find that army supply BDU's are the best pant for the job. I have a few pairs of black pants and some black shorts that I use on gigs. They last a long time, I've got a pair of shorts that's seen 3 summers of gigs and are still going well.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions! I've been doing some checking around with your suggestions and i'm finding good stuff. Any other suggestions are more than welcome, you can never have too many possibilities. Thanks!

Check out the military surplus places for pants. They've got some really cool commando pants that have tons of pockets. Really nice stuff.

Don't forget gloves, belt pouches and tons of other cool gear at Setwear and Tools for Stagecraft

You might also try Farm & Fleet. They carry Carhartt and Dickie's, etc. Sam's Club also sells some long sleeve shirts in the winter for about $10.

For tools, that is ones that I would consider part of clothing, I would strongly recommend a Leatherman Wave and a AA LED Maglite. I normally don't like to advertise companies, but for me my leatherman and Maglite are my two tools that I always have on my belt while working theatre. You might not need them all the time but when you do need them you will be glad you have them. And if you don't have them, you'll wish you did.

Clothing wise: for shows I use black dress pants and a black long sleeve t shirt. For formal day to day work (ie. working with a professional group in the local community theatre) I'll usually wear a black shirt with normal jeans.

Really? What specifically is the issue? Is it possible that the laws are different in each state?

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it's the cutting tool in a federal building that is a felony. It's likely another one of those nonsensical laws the government passed after 9/11. I live in a fairly rural area and most of the people (especially men) have knives and other tools on them all the time. In my neighborhood it's one of those laws that's on the books but never enforced.

Really? What specifically is the issue? Is it possible that the laws are different in each state?
Since it is a Federal Agency(sort of).

39 CFR 232 1 (1)
(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

18 US Code Section 930
Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(b)
Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(c)
A person who kills or attempts to kill any person in the course of a violation of subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, shall be punished as provided in sections 1111, 1112, and 1113.
(d)
Subsection (a) shall not apply to -
(1)
the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
(2)
the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
(3)
the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

Technically, a knife in a multi-tool is a tool, not a weapon therefore carrying one on your belt is not, or rather should not be a violation of this statute. 'Tis a bit silly when society describes a box cutter as a deadly weapon. IMHO

Technically, a knife in a multi-tool is a tool, not a weapon therefore carrying one on your belt is not, or rather should not be a violation of this statute. 'Tis a bit silly when society describes a box cutter as a deadly weapon. IMHO
State laws tend to be more liberal on that point about trade tools.

I honestly prefer not to take my chances on ending up in the federal penitentiary.

...............................................I honestly prefer not to take my chances on ending up in the federal penitentiary.

And that is why you'll never be considered a legitimate Country singer, or Rapper.

:mrgreen:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back