Techie sayings

loosely related, following moments of idiocy: "Now you see what happens when you do something stupid?"

Stupid, I think you're referring to a talented multi tasker with a mindset of a designer and the brains of a stage hand. ;)

We can make it look nice later. Besides, the audience is 30 feet away.
"That's what gaff tape is for" (I've found myself using that a lot lately. The joys of working with a student crew...)

"if you want to learn, open your mind and listen, if you want to goof off, be wary of standing below someone working on a light. Otherwise you'll really "goof" off in a matter of seconds"

"If someone asked this to be perfect, it just isn't perfect, its the result of hard work, mostly sweat though, a bit of thinking, and lots of hard work. This is why its called perfect because we design it to be perfect in our eyes"

"If one lamp fails and burns out, start counting till how long the ripple effect takes over"

necroposting but so worth it.

A guy in my shop was complaining about his piece of wood not fitting right, and the guy who's been working here for 20 years leans over and says, "what? you cut it three times and its still too short? Unbelievable"

Had the rest of us rolling on the floor. Can't believe none of us had heard that one before, apparently its an oldie but goodie

necroposting but so worth it.

A guy in my shop was complaining about his piece of wood not fitting right, and the guy who's been working here for 20 years leans over and says, "what? you cut it three times and its still too short? Unbelievable"

Had the rest of us rolling on the floor. Can't believe none of us had heard that one before, apparently its an oldie but goodie

Haha, glad to see this thread is still alive. This one made me laugh pretty hard. XD

"We'll finish focusing tomorrow" - let's just say that focusing won't be finished tomorrow...

And the good ol' "One more time!"

"We'll finish focusing tomorrow" - let's just say that focusing won't be finished tomorrow...

And the good ol' "One more time!"
Right up there with: "Well, you've done it again." Usually delivered with a firm hand-shake or hug during opening night parties without specifically clarifying if you feel they've done another great job as usual or blown it totally out of the water.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Ok so Chookers is all about food. If the show was a sell out and the crowd were happy the actors could expect chook (chicken) for a meal. Chicken was an expensive food at the time so it was considered a treat.
I thought it came from England but it is an Aussie thing.
So now you know what chookers means. It is a good luck saying and used in place of break a leg.

Regards
Crispy

What is the most common phrase one would say to techies before a show? I would guess not "good luck", but "break a leg" is only for actors, isn't it? Or maybe techies don't go for that sort of thing...I'm just looking to include everyone in pre-show well-wishing.
The most common one at my theater is, "is it loadout yet?"

No words of late, just the Roman Army type half breasted type of salute to others after over 20 years at the company.

Last edited:
"Nobody died from bad theater".

"We're not happy unless you're not happy".
Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the show?
(Bring on your impeachment lines; I hear the witch hunt's caught a warlock.)
IA slogan: Some call it nepotism, we call it tradition!
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back