Techie sayings

digitaltec said:
I got a whole list of them:

Quotes

"Actors are props with dialogue"

"I don't make mistakes, I have unintentional improvisations."

"Hmmmm. What would a smart guy do."

"Work sucks. I'm going to the theatre."

"Techies are those people least appreciated, most abused, hardest working, in the entire history of the theater."

ROTFLMAO...thanks for sharing those--I have posted them now in my place right under the price sheets of stupid question...

-wolf

ah' the price sheet of stupid questions. What a concept! Yea, there is something to pin up.

By the way, I'm still for the commandments rule about the "TD is always right, if you think he is wrong, you must of misundrestood him." How true to life.

Glad you all liked those. I have been collecting them over the past few years. I live by most of them. :D

ship said:
ah' the price sheet of stupid questions. What a concept! Yea, there is something to pin up.

Ya I charge 5$ for the first stupid question, $20 for the second, and the third question and beyond has various corporal punishment fee's from a smack in the head to the loss of a limb...

Dealing with stupid people and their questions---> "thank you--here's your sign". ;)

-wolf

digitaltec said:
Glad you all liked those. I have been collecting them over the past few years. I live by most of them. :D

If I get a chance in the nex day or so, I'll post my ever favorite list of what TECH's do vs what Actors and Stage folks do...which asks the question of WHO is more important to a show. <G>.

Of course there is also the Henry Rollins quote which is listed on here as well...my all time favorite especially when doing concert work..

-wolf

The one important saying which i'm surprised i haven't seen posted yet is "move with a purpose". The once thing i'm disappointed in seeing during a show is a mass of crewies stumbling over themselves. There was a case where during a scene change everyone was trying to do their own job at once, a person moving a set piece was bumped into the pit. Lluckily the pit was only about 3 feet down (For a good reason, but that's for another post).

Once again, "moving with a purpose" i think is high on my list of things i'd like to see being said before the start of a show.

You realize why you did not hear such a techie quote as "Move with a Purpose" don't you? What do you think your director is telling the actors on stage also?

Our TD never usually deals with actors one on one, we have separate directors for that. Anyways i know of a few schools where that saying is repeated. Anyways, the director for the actors at our school usually spends most of her time trying to teach the actors to keep going after the mess up, not to linger.

One of my favorite stage managers does the clear com checklist, then just before he calls the first cue, he asks for a "whoa bundy!" We all do it, and he calls the cues.

My art teacher used to go around the classroom singing "Oh' Lord it's art be humble."

"We are not building the god damn Taj Mahal"

"Curvature of the Earth"

"Measure twice cut thrice."

We had a tradition of rapping "Good Day" before a show

Also have done "Whoa Bundy" and also "Go, Bayside"

Mine is "stage perfect".

Not funny, but helps when your going insane building a set. it looks perfect from the audience, and thats what matters.

OH MY GOD. Chookers! I'd completely forgotten that! Holy crap. I'm going to have to institute that here and see how far it gets :D

We have a colleague/student that has a first name that starts with a "J." His/her thinking is beyond out of the box, it is absurdist at times. So when he are debating how to solve a technical issue we ask "WWJD." And we laugh when one of us comes up with the most absurd way to solve the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back