Techie sayings

:lol:

I heard things were different down under, toilets swirl ccw and other stuff, but I didn't know up is down!:confused:

In is down, down is front;
Out is up, up is back;
Off is out, on is in;
and of course
Right is left and left is right.
A drop shouldn't
and
A Block and fall does neither.
A prop doesn't
and
A Cove has no water.
Tripping is OK,
A running crew rarely gets anywhere,
A purchase line will buy you nothing;
A trap will not catch anything
and
A gridiron has nothing to do with football.
A strike is work (in fact, a lot of work)
and
A green room, thank God, usually isn't;

Or maybe that's just theater in general...

chausman
I love it! The scary part is it makes perfect tech talk sense. It goes to show how much we stopped thinking . . . . . . . .normally.

What is normal anyway?

Ok more tech sayings;

Time can't always wait for perfection.

Stupid has a price.

Lighting Designers VS Board OPs

1.)The Designer always makes the rules.

2.)The rules are subject to change at any time, without prior notification.

3.)No Board Op can possibly know all the rules.

4.)If the Designer suspects the Board Op knows all the rules, he must immediately change some or all of the rules.

5.)The Designer is NEVER wrong.

6.)If the Designer is wrong, it is because of a flagrant misunderstanding, which is a direct result of something the Board Op did or said wrong.

7.)If rule 6 applies, the Board Op must apologize immediately for causing the misunderstanding.

8.)The Designer can change his mind at any given point in time.

9.)The Board Op must never change his mind without express written consent from the Designer.

10.)The Designer has every right to be angry or upset at any time.

11.)The Board Op must remain calm at all times, unless the Designer wants him to be angry or upset.

12.)The Designer must under no circumstances let the Board Op know whether or not he wants him to be angry or upset.

13.)Any attempt to document these rules could result in bodily harm.

14.)If the Designer has a hangover, all rules are void.

15.)If two Designers disagree about a rule, they are BOTH right.

In is down, down is front;
Out is up, up is back;
Off is out, on is in;
and of course
Right is left and left is right.
A drop shouldn't
and
A Block and fall does neither.
A prop doesn't
and
A Cove has no water.
Tripping is OK,
A running crew rarely gets anywhere,
A purchase line will buy you nothing;
A trap will not catch anything
and
A gridiron has nothing to do with football.
A strike is work (in fact, a lot of work)
and
A green room, thank God, usually isn't;

Or maybe that's just theater in general...

Early is on time.
On time is late.

Nothing annoys me more then the 10 minute rule. If your not going to pay me to be there.... I'm not going to be there.

Never heard of it. I was just taught that call time is "be there, checked in, on deck (or wherever), and ready to go" time, not "just walking in the door time." I get there early to make sure I'm ready to go, so I don't hold up the production.

I added my two lines because in the version of the list that I saw, the first time I saw it, they were included.

No disrespect intended. If they insist that you be there 10 minutes before the call, you should get paid for it. At my venue, call time is walking in the door time.

Nothing annoys me more then the 10 minute rule. If your not going to pay me to be there.... I'm not going to be there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

on the flipside, if i am paying you to work at 8 you need to be pushing cases at 8,

Exactly, the purpose is so that you will be able to start work at the designated time. When the contract states a time to start working, the labor organization will mandate a check-in time (my local was at 15 minutes) which allows them to fill the position with a stand-by. I picked up work that way once or twice as an apprentice. Once you check in, you have the opportunity to know who your crew-chief is and prep yourself to start work at the designated call time. When I worked on smaller shows, they would generally wave that rule since there were no stand-bys and starting on the dot wasn't quite as necessary.

Personally, I don't mind being early as it is less stressful than rushing in at the last second. Living in larger cities, traffic and parking can sometimes throw you off quite a bit. By planning on being early, then at least you don't start your day cranky.

Not sure if someone has already said this...but there is this one saying that's been going around the venues that I've been at, and I think it's supposed to be a play on "Break a leg".
I don't know when it started, but now we go around before shows and say "Break an actor's leg" to anyone on crew.

That seems fair as long as long as you also believe that if you're not there on time then you pay for everyone else who was. Seriously, if I have a choice of potentially being early and possibly waiting or risking being late and having others potentially waiting on me then it just seems professional to be early.

My two most used saying for my students are
"If it's not yours, Don't Touch it"
"Stupid Hurts"

loosely related, following moments of idiocy: "Now you see what happens when you do something stupid?"

For the Frank Zappa afficianados: "Save a place on the bench for the guy with the wrench..." You afficianados know the rest ;-)

"Three tech rehearsals should be plenty, I don't see how a fourth one could make this better."

Or a 5th one to make it worse ;) "Look at what you did now, now we got to go allllllll the way back to step 1 and fix it, thanks a lot Sir Handyman" ;) Onto the 6th rotation of the tech rehearsal.....anddddd repeat.... ;)

a saying for us in Lighting "don't forget to power off the light your changing and not forget to tell the board op that your using it, otherwise you'll be in for a light when you re-lamp"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back