Techie sayings

I usually describe my hack engineering work as "abstract engineering." Our grumpy old man at work usually remarks about much of my work as a complement in saying "you polished up that turd really well."

Oh here is another one that i forgot to add in my last post.

"Its Done Right Because It's Done Twice!"

RJ
Rock Springs Wy

Once an actor always an actor- but once a night is enough

A couple I have encountered in my time as techie in HS and College

one borrowed from the Simpsons (and a personal favorite):
the Krusty Seal of Approval:Its not just good, its good enough.

In my HS on the window of the booth we had a large drawing of two fists with "tech crew"written on the knuckles. under it read "HEAR AND OBEY", a mantra that was enhanced by liberal use of the "god mic".

-dan

Another one borrowed from the film "Roadie"... that I think every techie can relate to:

"Why IS my life so much harder than everybody else's?"

John

One of my personal faves:

"Gaffa tape is like the force - it has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together!"

Mayhem (that's Jedi Master Mayhem to you!).

Thank god you said Gaffa tape - if you'd said Duck/Duct, I would have lost all respect for you. For starters, regular Duck is not dark on either side.

cruiser said:
Why does duct tape even come into it.. Lets all face it, duct tape is crap! anyone who duct tapes stuff where gaffa could be used, should and will be shot :p
Shooting them is a bit harsh. Perhaps duct taping them to some truss might be a better solution.

The only time I have seen a practical use for duct tape has been to secure cable to aluminium bars as the silver is less noticeable than black or white tape. However, you can now get silver electrical tape so yes, back to Cruiser's point.

Duct tape is fine as long as you 1) never have to touch it when wet, warm, or cold. Or 2) don't have to remove or look at it.

On a budget, come on let's give the guys some slack, we have all experienced gaff tape burned into a Leko now haven't we. Some things you do just have to experience. Too bad also most schools if smart won't let the kids near Goof Off as it's kind of hazzardess to one's health in spite of being about all that will take the goo away - at least from fresh tape.

Had I a dime for every roll of gaff tape someone closed up a box with or lost during a show I would be rich or be able to supply all schools near me. Still you might ask your local IATSE shop if they might keep some stray rolls of it for you. Might be possible to arrange.
I buy something like 6 to 800 rolls of just black gaff tape a year, and rearely see it coming back from shows. What do the local stage hands have a side gig in selling it off to high schools that can't afford it, are their cars not already full of it, or is it too difficult to put it back in the road case you got it out of when done, much less pick it up instead of sweeping it into the trash.
he he he, yea and they want all the colors of the rainbow in gaff tape too, so they can color cold the boxes of broken gear they send back by way of UPS with fluorescent colors, or mark cases with it saying "full".

You get noting, you get PVC tape at 1/8 the cost instead... Kind of a nick name for myself having to do with a certain soup sales person from Sinefeld.

I use duct tape, i know, its horrible, but my school can't afford to spend $20 on each roll of tape that we use, and we use A LOT of tape. Of corse, all of our coards are all nasty because of the residue from the tape, but, hea, we save $10 or $15, so its worth it.

we don't wanna use up our entire budget on tape!!!!

and some duct tape has a black side, i've used it!

I also use duct tape... but all my shows are one-night stands - it's never there long enough to get gooey. Tonight's show is typical - load-in is at 5PM, first band is on at 7PM, last band is off at 11 PM and the duct tape starts coming up as soon as they get their instruments out of the way.

Wish I could afford gaffer tape, but chances are good that tonight's show will pay me a grand total of about $120... including the cost of batteries for the wireless mics, 5 audio cassettes (I record every band, every show, and give them the tape after their set), and round-trip mileage (50 miles each way). I'm not exactly the highest-paid rock-and-roll sound guy in the world. The difference between a $5 roll of duct tape and a $15 roll of gaffer tape usually goes into buying a CD or T-shirt from a touring band so they can eat on the road.

John

My school has vast supplies of cheaper AV grade gaffers tape. Im constantly stealing rolls of the stuff for the theatre.

Thankfully, neither does the tape come out of a given show's budget, nor do I pay for it, so it sometimes ends up getting misused...

The only 2 times I would ever consider using duct tape are:
1) Fixing old, broken down cardboard boxes that still needed to be used. Neither is the tape needed to come off, nor does it need to look good. and the extra stick of duct tape is often good.
2) I repaired my shoes once with some high quality duct tape. The gaffers tape simply wasn't sticking, so I grabbed a good helping of duct tape for the inside of my shoe. Its still working pretty well, but thats because its the nice expensive kind of duct tape.

Gotta love the white gaff!

In some instances i have preferd to label my desk with white gaf, seems to come off nicer than alot of other things, if you leave lecky tape on too long it seems to go a bit crappy when you pull it off.... and masking tape is just pure evil.... anyone who puts masking tape on one of my desks will have masking tape put where they dont want it :p

Our Tech Group had a few slogans of our own.
"We do it in the dark"
"Out techies practice safe sets"
Im sure there are a thousand of these out there but those are a few of my favorites

Users who are viewing this thread

Back