Techie sayings

The last place I worked had the very unofficial motto of: "We're not happy till you're not happy!"

Current place has a far less amusing motto of "All the lights work, all the people happy"

Its because all the audio guys are done, and already ran the show and left, you guys just take to long to get your gear in a line.

Yeah, its certainly not because audio had the deck full keeping lx from flying in their truss, and then is taking too long loading their truck in the only dock space.

Duh.

Isn't that the Full Sail motto? I know at least 4 people from that school (all from different classes) who all had that written somewhere on their stuff.

WE the unwilling, led by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we can now do virtually anything with nothing.

Originally said by Mother Teresa of Calcutta.

Originally said by Mother Teresa of Calcutta.

Oh! Calcutta!
?
proxy.php

I didn't know she was in that.:twisted:

I think it was just a cameo appearance.

What, she's on jewelry!?

One I haven't seen much of:
"It's only a mistake if the audience/director sees it."

My favorite so far:
"If the world is a stage then the tech's must be god."

There are no mistakes in theater. It is just unprepared improvisation. That or we got tired of doing it the same...so we changed it!
Spiderman-Turn off the Dark is the only exception. The haven't even gotten the scripted stuff to work!

Last edited:
Its because all the audio guys are done, and already ran the show and left, you guys just take to long to get your gear in a line.

:twisted:

Would you prefer we just had them all facing YOU instead???

I have way to much free-time on here. I have resorted to just coming up with random things to say that somehow all relate.

wise words that i have come to live by.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it! if it is broken, it's probably ten minutes till the top of the show, and you better bust your a** to get it fixed on time.

Last edited:
When calming a first time board op, "Its not rocket science, just push go."

When calming a first time board op, "Its not rocket science, just push go."

Not to nit-pick, but pushing "GO" killed a light board I was running. Data/voltage fault from the board, through me, through the belt pack, to ground. If only an opto-isolator was used... Ended up with no feeling in my ring finger right hand for a year (where it jumped from me to the pack).

And I quote: "I pushed GO and the lights went disco." The racks were getting bad data after the board died so dimmers were coming up entirely at random. Had to unplug all DMX and power cycle the racks. Ugh.

our motto before a show is "fly casual". Mostly used for sound op and light op, but can be used for all techs in the show

"It's a tool AND A TOY!"

"I can't do anything to fix that."
"Not my fault."
"Strip. Now" (Our Wardrobe Mistress's favorite words)
"Cue sheet? Just go when I tell you."
"Syyyyyyyyyyddneeeeeeyyyy!" (Our resident props mistress/stage techie slave)
"Screw that!"
"Can we add tequila and shotglasses to the prop list?"
"Who's willing to crawl through the traveler behind the set and hold up the set piece for the rest of the show?"
"WHERE'S THE GAFF TAPE!?"
"Well...the door fell. So we just gaffed it back up until we can rescrew it in intermission"
"I'm about to cut an actor."
"WHO. TOUCHED. THE. PROP. TABLE."
"Beat it so it fits, paint it so it matches."
"Where are all of the techies?" "In a pile on the couch in the green room." "Alright, well tell them about five until next change."
"I don't know, I just work here."
"Just once, I'd like to wear something that's not black."
"I can't do anything about the mics, they're right under the stupid monitors."
"I hate everybody"
"Someone kill me now?"
"Break two legs, an arm, and a skull!"
"That seems good enough."
"Can I get someone who actually does stuff?"
"Once we leave...whose gonna be on crew?" (Our Sound Manager/SM (Me)), Light Tech, Props Mistress, and Wardrobe Mistress, as well as the efficient carpenters are all graduating next year)
"Whose making the Blimpie run?" (The only food place within 15 minutes of our school)
"Screw Equity lights, can we get Night Vision Goggles?"
"You can't kill the actors yet."
"Stage Ninjas, Assemble!"
"If everything is going right...you're not looking hard enough."
"Headset breaks...world collapses."
"Sydney is never allowed near sound again." (A first time ASM for a show had a malfunctioing clearcom, and everytime I fixed it, it somehow messed up again)
A personal one: "I can wire a sound system in four minutes. I can build a platform in about fifteen if it's measured. I can do a show with no kind of rudimentary sound check. I can completely set up a prop table in fifteen. And you want me to do lights, the one thing I have no clue what to do? Screw that, find the other black guy." (Who's the resident light tech)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back