Technician "cattle call" for Washington DC area

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
From the Stagecraft Mailing List:
The DC Theatre Technician Cattle Call Returns!

The 2010 DC Technician Cattle Call will be held over two days, Sunday
May 9 from 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM, and Monday May 10 from 9:00 Am until
6:00 PM, at the Harman Center for the Arts. Sunday will be devoted to
Carpenters, Riggers, Electricians, Sound Engineers, Painters and Prop
Artisans. Monday will be devoted to Costume Technicians, Makeup
Artists, Stage Managers, and those of you who fall into other
categories but are on run crew for shows.

Similar to an acting cattle call, each candidate will be given 8
minutes in front of the group of representatives from theatres and
production companies around the DC Metro area.

Companies already committed to attending this year include:
The Alden Theatre
Arena Stage
Barbizon Capitol
Folger Theatre
Gala Hispanic Theatre
George Mason University Center For The Arts
Imagination Stage
JCC Of Rockville
Metrostage
Round House Theatre
Shakespeare Theatre Company
Studio Theatre
Theatre J
Traveling Players Ensemble
Woolly Mammoth Theatre Co

And more are adding every day.

To book an appointment email: [email protected]. You MUST put Cattle Call
2010 in the subject line.

Be sure to include your full name, email address, and which day you
would like, as well as whether you would like a morning or afternoon
appointment.

Each applicant will be expected to supply 40 copies of their resume on
the day of their appointment.
Thought some of our members in the DC area might be interested.

Figured I would bump this up as its coming up in about two weeks...

-w

I would... Except I am graduating HS this year and don't have enough pro experience.

I would... Except I am graduating HS this year and don't have enough pro experience.

That's exactly why you should have gone! What level of training and experience do you need to get before you can be seriously considered? You don't know. But by going you will find out. It'll open your eyes to how much you learned in HS vs. what you need to learn before you can do this in the real world. It also could be a great opportunity to network and pick up an internship or volunteer position. Don't have any delusions that you are going to be hired. But go so you can learn how to prepare yourself to seriously compete for those jobs. Every interview, and job fair you can attend will always provide useful reconnaissance information. Maybe you'll find an internship. Maybe someone will be willing to let you volunteer at their space (free education is good education). This industry is all about networking and meeting people. You may meet someone who helps you connect to something down the road that is life changing.

Present yourself very professionally. Be honest and open that you are a high school student and you realize you are not qualified for the jobs they are offering. However you are looking for a way to just gain knowledge and experience through an internship or volunteer position... not a paid one. Go to an on-line business card place and spend $20 to have a couple hundred classy looking business cards made. In the place on the card where people usually put their business or title put something like, "New High School graduate looking for an internship". Go to the interviews and impress them with how well put together and what a go getter you are. "Hi, I'm graduating from high school. I realize I don't have the training and experience of these other applicants today. But I want to be them some day. Is there a way I could come work at your theater in some sort of volunteer or internship capacity so that I can the experience these other people have?" Give them a card.

You are not what they are there looking for, so you will stand out in their memory as "that kid with the cards". In a room full of hundreds of people looking for work. It's nice to be memorable and stand out. It's true that many may just say sorry. But every theater likes free labor and who knows what kind of calls you may get.

Unfortunately the event is over, but all you young technicians out there be looking for opportunities like this to meet people and network.

Last edited:
Seeing as how the event was five days ago... did anyone participate, and was it worthwhile?

That's exactly why you should have gone! What level of training and experience do you need to get before you can be seriously considered? You don't know. But by going you will find out. It'll open your eyes to how much you learned in HS vs. what you need to learn before you can do this in the real world. It also could be a great opportunity to network and pick up an internship or volunteer position. Don't have any delusions that you are going to be hired. But go so you can learn how to prepare yourself to seriously compete for those jobs. Every interview, and job fair you can attend will always provide useful reconnaissance information. Maybe you'll find an internship. Maybe someone will be willing to let you volunteer at their space (free education is good education). This industry is all about networking and meeting people. You may meet someone who helps you connect to something down the road that is life changing.
Actually I got my internship confirmed a few weeks ago doing sound in the DC area! But next time something like this shows up I'll be there.

Actually I got my internship confirmed a few weeks ago doing sound in the DC area! But next time something like this shows up I'll be there.

Congratulations internships are HUGE and can open amazing doors. Just remember to impress them EVERY day with how eager you are to learn and work. There is always a floor to sweep, coffee to make, and cable to coil. Be eager and happy to do the grunt work. Let the first words out of your mouth always be, "I know how I was taught to do that in high school but is there a particular way you would like me to do it?"

Let the first words out of your mouth always be, "I know how I was taught to do that in high school but is there a particular way you would like me to do it?"

That's been my way of thinking since I was born, and that's what got in interested in theatre... My plan is to keep it for a good long while.

2011 Edition:
The 2011 DC Theatre Technician Cattle Call will be held over two days,
Sunday April 17 from 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM, and Monday April 18 from 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM,
at the Harman Center for the Arts. Sunday will be devoted to Carpenters,
Riggers, Electricians, Sound Engineers, Painters and Prop Artisans. Monday will be
devoted to Costume Technicians, Makeup Artists, Stage Managers, and those of you
who fall into other categories but are on run crew for shows.

Similar to an acting cattle call, each candidate will be given 8 minutes in
front of the group of representatives from theatres and production companies
around the DC Metro area.

Companies already committed to attending this year include:
The Alden Theatre
Arts On The Horizon
Artists' Bloc
Constellation Theatre Company
Folger Theatre
Forum Theatre
Gala Hispanic Theatre
George Mason University Center For The Arts
JCC Of Rockville
Limelight Theatre
Olney Theatre Center
Shakespeare Theatre Company
Signature Theatre
Studio Theatre
Theatre J
Washington Shakespeare Company

And more are adding every day.

To book an appointment email: [email protected] . You MUST put Cattle Call 2011 in
the subject line.

Be sure to include your full name, email address, and which day you would like,
as well as whether you would like a morning or afternoon appointment.
Also be sure to attach a PDF of your resume that has your name as a part of the file name.

Appointments are given on a first come, first served basis.

Each applicant will be expected to supply 40 copies of their resume on the day
of their appointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back