Technician vs Techie

Is it better to be called a Techie or Technician?

• Total voters
depends if its paid. Techie if not just tech if it is, the only person that called me a technition was telling us that we just wasted close to an hour setting up FOH and running the snake because where the xl4 was "ugly and not what guest want to see when they walked in the room." I thought about showing her an ugly board and going back to the shop and getting the old mackie out but then she followed with "no offense" so everything was ok.

"Queen of Tech" has a nice ring to it :D ... but i agree that at high school level techie is good, but technician sounds more professional.

tech seems i good compromise, not too poncy, and not to unprofessional

its what i use anyway

well see in my school you have

Techies-undertrained peons sophomores who like to think they know everything

and

Technicians-people who have worked in technical theatre for most if not all of their lives and can do just about anything

i think of myself as a technician but my TD calls me a techie

i would have to agree-
techie for highschool/unproffesional jobs
technician for everything above that *or when you are talking to those in higher powers.. refering to techies..it makes you sound more professional.*

Lets see...

At my school we have 3 types:

Techie/Tech-Knows what he's doing, laid-back, can do stuff really fast, smart, party animal.

Technician-Uptight A$$hole, often screws stuff up, gets stressed out too easily.

Idiot-Screws everything up.

-Nick (who prefers to be called a Techie or Tech)

Source4Spike said:
Lets see...

Idiot-Screws everything up.

-Nick (who prefers to be called a Techie or Tech)

We don't have idiots...instead we have folks who cause " ID-10-T user errors" in equipment and proceedures... ;)

ID 10 T errors...nothin like calling em an IDIOT to their face and them not knowing it. :lol:

-wolf

Is this battle still going on? :) I found a interesting breakdown not to long ago. I got to figure out how to put a table in a forum thought before I can post it :?

theese days i like "Engineer" well back in the day i was a tech techie or technician , and at sophmore in H.S. i was doing audio professionaly and did know beter that the TD lol well at least audio wises, he only knew lights and stage craft.

Heres how I see it:

Techie should be a word that is never said. I beleive it is the same as the "N" word.

Technicians are the people who have technical related jobs.

Engineers should have a degree.

well personaly i like to be called a techie. now im sure since im in high school and havent worked my ass off to get a degree in technical theater, i just showed up, then it wont mater as much to me what i am called. I personaly like to be called a techie, because first its fun, i mean, no offence, technician sounds like somone with like a note pad all the time, fidgiting stuff here and there, and what not. Now a techie, that sounds like someone that does the same things, but in a fun happy way! ok maybe not best imegery, but point being techie just sounds funner. then second, i was told by the old "head student" that i didnt whant to be a technician, because, in high school, they are the ones that seperate themselfs fromt he the reast of the theater kids, aka the actors, they also but themself above the actors. Were as the techie he said was one that made tech a fun thing for the actors that had to do tech hourse, someone that viewed the actors as important as he was, that mingled with everyone and just made stuff fun fore anyone, not using big tech words, or confusing acronyms. so i like to be the person that makes tech fun for the people that have to do it.

i disagree with that. im a technician. just read my sig, but i think techies are the ones who belelive theyre above everyone else, at least thats what ive noticed. and the technicians are the ones who understand that everyone is the same, since for without the actors, we wouldnt be there, without us, they wouldnt be seen or heard. i think that when someone considers themselves a technician, there is a better understanding of community in theyre head. and i must agree with AVGuyAndy on the whole N word thing and techie

moojoe said:
i disagree with that. im a technician. just read my sig, but i think techies are the ones who belelive theyre above everyone else, at least thats what ive noticed. and the technicians are the ones who understand that everyone is the same, since for without the actors, we wouldnt be there, without us, they wouldnt be seen or heard. i think that when someone considers themselves a technician, there is a better understanding of community in theyre head. and i must agree with AVGuyAndy on the whole N word thing and techie

You've got my vote. Technicians as a general term, tech. if you must shorten it down a bit. Engineers should have degrees, and from my experience, those who are real engineers get pissed when technicians try to pass themselves off as engineers.

Techie is derrogatory to me, to us, and to the professional community in general. But as most people said, I guess for HS tech, being a "techie" is alright. When I was in HS we were just referred to as the SL Crew. (sound/light crew).

I hope I don't piss people off too much, but I must agree with Colin. I like techie. I too am in high school, so it's fine, and were I to become a professional tech(ie/nician) I might just prefer the latter. And yet, I don't see the difference, other than in terms of respect within the theatre community. Frankly I don't think that I 'd care one way or another about being called a techie around other techies or technicians, even actors, but that if some pompous, ignorant... person came up to me and said "You're just a techie." I'd probably be pretty mad. When used as a derogatory term, techie is at least moderately offensive.

What's the big deal? I mean, is it an inferiority complex thing? Because I'm proud to be a techie, I see no reason to call it something else to gain respect. Techie, technician, tech, even engineer for that matter, all describe the same damn thing (though engineer may be more specialized and I do sort of agree that they should have a degree of some sort, although I was the sound engineer for a theatre group this summer and am 16 years old). Great experience, I was the sound design intern, and I got to learn from someone far more knowledgeable than myself, who I respected very much. But I don't think that, even after graduating from Emerson, he would have had a huge problem being called a techie. I just think that it's a freaking title. Who cares? Whatever sounds best to you. But, believe me, I don't think that I am in any way better than anybody. In fact, I want to learn more. I love the work, I love the atmosphere, the people, it's all great, regardless of whether I'm a techie, or a tech., or a technician.

Rainbow six was a let down in my opinion, (WARNING spoilers..) i mean rainbow six did some cool shooting but it was Popov who did all the work to take down Shiva.

kingfisher1 said:
Rainbow six was a let down in my opinion, (WARNING spoilers..) i mean rainbow six did some cool shooting but it was Popov who did all the work to take down Shiva.

??? are we off the subject and misplaced? Good Tom Clancy book though not as good as some. How does the movie compare?

Of late I have been at times refered to as an engineer. No I don't have a degeee in engineering, but to some extent just as "Techie" in many ways seems to be grouped around high school, and Technition as something post graduate, as a ME, the Engineer term amongst many electricians given I do engineer stuff seems appropriate. Much less when a lobby lamp burns out I serve as if a maintinence engineer or when my trash is full I serve as a waste engineer.

You've been double posting alot recently Ship...

I prefer technition from my tech peers, but I don't mind if civillians call me techie. Actors, however, must always refer to me as God. Or the Duke of Lighting.

Well at least it would be cool if they would. A few people call me Ryan the light guy, and some DO call me the Duke or the Duke of Lighting, then my peers just call me Moeller for the most part, and then adults, and actors (curse them), call me Ryan.

Well, as another high schooler, I generally go by techie or tech, preferably. I'll go by technician when I get older and actually know what I'm doing to the point that I'm comfortable thinking of myself as professional. But as of now, I think that calling myself a technician would almost be derogatory to those of you who actually know what you're doing and have worked for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back