Technician vs Techie

Is it better to be called a Techie or Technician?

• Total voters
People usually call me from my last name (Ghods) but I'd rather techie over technician until I get more expeirence (as moderately_clueless said).

Personally I'm okay with being called a techie. That is what most people recgonize people who do sound, lights, things of the like as, techies. Usually it isn't in a manner of disrespect either. A lot of people respect techies on some level for knowing more than they do. These are usually the people who say they don't konw the first thing about anything in the booth, couldn't distinguish a light board from a sound board, and fear that they would mess something up by breathing on it. From this person I wouldn't mind being called most things. I do have some technician in me. I like having a script, and input list telling what kind of mic is on each input, things like that, but I also am okay with going by the seat of my pants so to speak. I would probably correct someone if they called me an engineer. I am not an engineer and won't pretend I am. There is some honor in being called an engineer. That title signifies that someone went to the effort to earn it. I haven't earned that title right now, and therefore do not want to undermind what that word means.

To sum it up I don't mind being called a techie, or a technician, because usually who is going to call you either doesn't know what better to use and you seem like you're arrogant if you correct them.

i dont mind being called a techie, becasue it just means/implies tyhat im interested in all things thechnical, and doesnt just apply to tech theatre. however, i can see how it could be fairly irritating for the pros among us, becasue after all, its not just a hobby anymore is it?

The Entertainment Services and Technology Association (ESTA) refers to those of us involved in this work as "entertainment technicians". Certainly this is broadly descriptive and fits well with the variety of work we do.

dwt1

dwt1 said:
The Entertainment Services and Technology Association (ESTA) refers to those of us involved in this work as "entertainment technicians". Certainly this is broadly descriptive and fits well with the variety of work we do.

dwt1

Would that be the same as the government here giving someone who works in a preschool the title of Childcare Technician?

The term technician implies that this is one's main field of work. I also see is a being a mark of respect that whoever is competent in their position.

Then I guess I am an educational technician (aka teacher) The respect factor I believe is just a portion of ESTA's desire. Moreso, through the Entertainment Technician Certification Program (ETCP), they are trying to make certain that individuals within the industry are recognized as more than competent at their chosen careers. The ETCP riggers exam was the first step and now comes the electrical skills exam.

To start people off in the right direction, ESTA is currently working on the Essential Skills for Entertainment Technicians program (ESET). The backbone of the program is a lengthy list of fundamental knowledge and related skills
identified by industry leaders and educators as necessary for a well trained and competent workforce.

Information about both programs can be seen at the ESTA Foundation web site. Go to www.esta.org and follow the link.

Personally, I dont care what you call me. Though I quite enjoy the title: Technical Designer . :p
In the end, it becomes an issue of the skill level and your ethic when you do your job. As long as you have a reputation for doing your job well with skill, you could call yourself a bum and people would still call you.
But thats it for this Technical Designer....

Peace out.

I personally prefer technician. I think it sounds much more professional, especially when meeting people in other businesses. On top of that Techie sounds way too much like Trekkie(SP?), and I just don't want to be confused as a Shatner fan.

I agree with you that it is close to a trekkie, but i am both a techie and a trekkie, does that make me a trekhtie?

i've always used the term "tech" as in "that's my friend DJ, he's a theatre tech" or "that girl's a good lighting tech" and so on

The way that i was told that it came about from a teacher, who has worked as a tech his entire life, it is an insult. It is a way of actors calling techs names and getting away with it. I wouldn't go around calling the actors "acties" which is what they do to techs. So the proper term is tech

I've always liked being called a techie, simply because it's more casual sounding. Kinda like a nickname or whatnot. However, if I'm doing a application or something, I'll put my title "assistant stage manager" or say I was a theatre technician, to make it sound more professional.

Techs are only good at one thing- Roadies can do everything. We are Backline, Sound, Lights, Carp, Vidiots, or whatever is needed; we are the show experts. Local crews can't be trusted to do anything beyond pushing, pulling, and lifting, so all we need from the local technician (sorry, Technician) is to be pointed towards the distro, catering and bathrooms when our buses arrive. If we need anything else, we'll tell you what to do.

I always hated the term "techie". I prefer technician or, better yet, refer to the individual by their position title (Master Electricain, Flyman, Followspot Operator, etc.) Techie always seemed unprofessional or amature to me. I too hate the prase roadie. It too would make me angry if you called me that. I can honestly say that the vast majority of people I know in the industry have shared similar feelings.

~Dave

Dave Simpson
Production Manager
East China Performing Arts Center

Techs are only good at one thing- Roadies can do everything. We are Backline, Sound, Lights, Carp, Vidiots, or whatever is needed; we are the show experts. Local crews can't be trusted to do anything beyond pushing, pulling, and lifting, so all we need from the local technician (sorry, Technician) is to be pointed towards the distro, catering and bathrooms when our buses arrive. If we need anything else, we'll tell you what to do.

i prefer whatever my title is during a show.
i am a tech but i'm not good at only one thing i have experience in all aspects of tech. theatre. i find that the things you said were just a bit wrong. but if that is what you think then so be it. i won't argue with you over your opinions. i have people asking and paying me to make them costumes, run their sound and lights, and a plethra of other things relating to tech from all over my county. in my county we have a performing arts center with an arts conseratory. i voluteer at the consevatory and sometimes i'm even asked to do a job there that pays me. i am proud to be a local technician. but after i graduate from high school and college i am going to join IATSE. one day this local technician will be on Broadway designing the costumes or the lighting for a major Show. don't make fun or be rude to the locals.

Thus explaining why "roadies" have the lovely reputation that they do.

Never noticed this post before. But it's a really nice way to say hello. I also notice it's this person's only post.

Anyway, Before I first saw this thread I had never really even thought about it and my initial reaction was call me whatever. But since then I've thought about it and I really prefer the term Tech or Technician. Techie just reminds me too much of when I was 14 and thought I knew everything because I could set up a sound system for a school assembly. Somewhere along the way when I started getting paid I started referring to myself as a theater technician or a theater designer. I think maybe it's just a getting old thing but the more I think about it the more I don't want to be called a techie.

I do agree that it's a *wonderful* way to introduce one's self. And I note that the poster hasn't been seen since Jan 14...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back