Technician vs Techie

Is it better to be called a Techie or Technician?

• Total voters
It's good that you feel this way, [user]ArthurRiot[/user]. I feel that it's healthy. But, I don't think it's fair to underrate a technician just because they don't like being called a "techie".

Anything can be disrespectful but when a fellow techie hages being called one, I considER them green.

Not to single anyone out, but [user]MPowers[/user] recently stated that he has found himself preferring not to be called a techie by anyone other than his technical peers. I don't believe I would consider him green because of this. Far from it.

I mean really, it IS nothing. It's just a preference. I think the problems started arising when the term was picked up and thrown around in high schools and community theatres as a blanket nickname. Being a "techie" sounds easy and cute. Being a 'technician' sounds much more calculated, and smarter, if you will.

And I agree with your statement about not referring to actors as walking, talking props. I respect them and they respect me. I refer to them as their real name or character name. I expect the same in return.

"This is John. He is playing Javert" sounds way better than "This is John. He's one of our actors".

Similarly, "This is Les. He is our Lighting Technician" sounds better than "This is Les. He is one of our techies".

I know this sounds superficial, but I work hard for what ever title I receive in a show.

Last edited:
It's good that you feel this way, ArthurRiot. I feel that it's healthy. But, I don't think it's fair to underrate a technician just because they don't like being called a "techie".

Not to single anyone out, but MPowers recently stated that he has found himself preferring not to be called a techie by anyone other than his technical peers. I don't believe I would consider him green because of this. Far from it.

I don't know MPowers, and by no means should any one thing be a proof of someone's experience (unless they don't bring a crescent wrench to a call, that's like a racecar driver forgetting his car keys), but generally speaking, when someone doesn't like the term 'techie' itself, it shows insecurity. I wear all my variations of my title as a badge, and don't shame from any of them. That also means I don't like them being used in a manner of disrespect, but even then it's still not the word that bothers me, it's the user.

I mean really, it IS nothing. It's just a preference. I think the problems started arising when the term was picked up and thrown around in high schools and community theatres as a blanket nickname. Being a "techie" sounds easy and cute. Being a 'technician' sounds much more calculated, and smarter, if you will.
I just don't see it that way. I see it as people being nervous to be associated with 'lower' theatre. Like a form of classism. 'You aren't real techs; you're just techies'. I understand that there's the old school and the new school, but it's sometimes treated like a hazing ritual. I've seen high school students with skill levels that could embarrass a number of brothers, and I've seen card holders who can't push a box up a ramp. Is the ratio equal? No, but sometimes I think people try too hard to feel important.

I've very rarely called myself a 'technician', though I regularly use 'tech'. It's like a guy walking around telling everyone to refer to him as Dr. Smith, even at a BBQ. That stuff tells me someone has a stick up their butt ;)

And I agree with your statement about not referring to actors as walking, talking props. I respect them and they respect me. I refer to them as their real name or character name. I expect the same in return.

"This is John. He is playing Javert" sounds way better than "This is John. He's one of our actors".

Similarly, "This is Les. He is our Lighting Technician" sounds better than "This is Les. He is one of our techies".

I know this sounds superficial, but I work hard for what ever title I receive in a show.
You know, I'll agree with that, though for slightly different reasons. I made a mistake one day (I used to be the ATD at the Hippodrome, which is the broadway playhouse in B-More). A road TD came up and asked me about something-or-other being taken care of, and I told that wouldn't be a problem, and that I'd talk to my guys about it. Well, the Head Carp hit me up later to mention that he didn't like being called that; I didn't own him, he wasn't 'my guy'. He was 'the hands' or 'the heads'.

I don't like being called 'one of our' because it implies ownership. But 'techies' isn't my problem with that statement, myself. Once again, I think it's like someone saying 'I'm not 'Mommy', I'm 'Mother''.

Well, the Head Carp hit me up later to mention that he didn't like being called that; I didn't own him, he wasn't 'my guy'. He was 'the hands' or 'the heads'.

I don't like being called 'one of our' because it implies ownership.

Its funny, I feel the opposite on that. I always like that term because it feels inclusive. At the old place I worked for every now and then I would be referred to by the owner or one of the sales guys as "our young talent". To me them saying that always made me feel like they were proud to have my as part of the company/family, same when I would be refereed to as "our house lighting guy". There is a level of trust involved when you use that term. It implies they are willing to stand behind you as one of their own for whatever your doing and rely on you for that specific talent.

Its funny, I feel the opposite on that. I always like that term because it feels inclusive. At the old place I worked for every now and then I would be referred to by the owner or one of the sales guys as "our young talent". To me them saying that always made me feel like they were proud to have my as part of the company/family, same when I would be refereed to as "our house lighting guy". There is a level of trust involved when you use that term. It implies they are willing to stand behind you as one of their own for whatever your doing and rely on you for that specific talent.

I agree completely. I like "our house lighting guy" it implies that they at least like you and are going to keep you around for a while.

It's not superficial. It's because we DO work hard for the title/position we earn in this business. It is not just the "word" that civilians (civilians means those who are not a part of the technical world we live in) use to describe us, it is also the tone of voice and dismissiveness that some of them impose. As if we are a necessary evil they must endure in order to do their work. Note that these, thank goodness, are not the norm, just that the ones who denigrate us tend to make such a strong impression that at first thought we tend to remember them first. Talent with class knows who we are and what we do and are well aware that we are all in this together. If Charley Daniels or Willie Nelson, Leonard Nimoy or Bebe Neuwirth called me a techie, I'd be proud. They all know and respect who we are and what we do. There are others in the producing, directing, "talent" rehlm that will never "get it". When they use the word "Techie" it is a slur or an insult or at the very least, a lower class label. "YOU" call me a techie and it's a sign of friendship and camaraderie. "THEY" call me a techie and it's a "put me in my place" label.

It's not superficial. It's because we DO work hard for the title/position we earn in this business. It is not just the "word" that civilians (civilians means those who are not a part of the technical world we live in) use to describe us, it is also the tone of voice and dismissiveness that some of them impose. As if we are a necessary evil they must endure in order to do their work. Note that these, thank goodness, are not the norm, just that the ones who denigrate us tend to make such a strong impression that at first thought we tend to remember them first. Talent with class knows who we are and what we do and are well aware that we are all in this together. If Charley Daniels or Willie Nelson, Leonard Nimoy or Bebe Neuwirth called me a techie, I'd be proud. They all know and respect who we are and what we do. There are others in the producing, directing, "talent" rehlm that will never "get it". When they use the word "Techie" it is a slur or an insult or at the very least, a lower class label. "YOU" call me a techie and it's a sign of friendship and camaraderie. "THEY" call me a techie and it's a "put me in my place" label.

But that's not the word itself that's the problem; that's the user. They could be equally dismissive with 'stagehand', 'Show Tech', 'LD', or any other of a million terms.

I mean, the root question in this thread was whether 'techie' was a fair thing to be called, right?

I'm happy to see such good points brought up by both sides! I agree with ArthurRiot on many points, but I can also see where MPowers is coming from. I feel the same way, and it is interesting how it isn't necessarily the name itself, but how the name is used, and by which individual. Perhaps this is why we would rather just phase out the title all together... So that we won't have to deal with these boundaries and 'unwritten rules' at all.

I remember doing a community theatre show (Nunsense) and I was walking the woman who played Sister Amnesia up to the prop room. She was generally nice, but had a strong personality.
This community theatre was an odd design. The prop room was up behind the tech booth (it used to be an old movie house and the tech/prop area was the former upper balcony). Anyway, there are catwalks on either side of the venue which connect back stage to the tech booth. They are used for hanging side lighting and are completely accessible by stairs -- so they're not only accessible by tech; they are a common route for any theatre staff to take. Since they had been added in the renovation, they used plywood as the flooring, so it made a hollow thump sound as you walked down them.
She said to me "I can tell techies built this, because it sounds all rickety."

At the time, I just let it roll right off my back, but now, it kind of gets on my nerves that she said that! First off, "techies" did not build that, a general contractor did. Secondly, that's how plywood floors sound. She made the comparison of the catwalk floor with stage platforms, but insinuated that platforms were the way they were because we simply didn't know how to build (not that they have to be able to be broken down, be light weight, and are just a different animal than commercial and residential flooring construction).

Sorry that was so long and detailed --- but maybe that's where it all started for me. Perhaps others have similar stories.

I'm happy to see such good points brought up by both sides! I agree with ArthurRiot on many points, but I can also see where MPowers is coming from. I feel the same way, and it is interesting how it isn't necessarily the name itself, but how the name is used, and by which individual. Perhaps this is why we would rather just phase out the title all together... So that we won't have to deal with these boundaries and 'unwritten rules' at all.

I remember doing a community theatre show (Nunsense) and I was walking the woman who played Sister Amnesia up to the prop room. She was generally nice, but had a strong personality.
This community theatre was an odd design. The prop room was up behind the tech booth (it used to be an old movie house and the tech/prop area was the former upper balcony). Anyway, there are catwalks on either side of the venue which connect back stage to the tech booth. They are used for hanging side lighting and are completely accessible by stairs -- so they're not only accessible by tech; they are a common route for any theatre staff to take. Since they had been added in the renovation, they used plywood as the flooring, so it made a hollow thump sound as you walked down them.
She said to me "I can tell techies built this, because it sounds all rickety."

At the time, I just let it roll right off my back, but now, it kind of gets on my nerves that she said that! First off, "techies" did not build that, a general contractor did. Secondly, that's how plywood floors sound. She made the comparison of the catwalk floor with stage platforms, but insinuated that platforms were the way they were because we simply didn't know how to build (not that they have to be able to be broken down, be light weight, and are just a different animal than commercial and residential flooring construction).

Sorry that was so long and detailed --- but maybe that's where it all started for me. Perhaps others have similar stories.

I had a similar situation while rigging lights for a large event at our college. I was out on an I-beam (roped in properly) accessing a lighting position, and someone yelled that they wanted me to get something or other that would be my responsibility to get, so no big deal. I yelled back that I would be right down as soon as these lights were focused (which was what I was doing), so that I wouldnt have to walk out on a beam again. I was then told that as a techie, it was my job to jump to this person's demands. The way this person said it, like I was a servant or something, just made me never want to use that term for a technician again or hear myself called it. The person was also hopping mad when I got down from the beam too, like somehow it was my job to be you know, doing my job and I ought to have been following her around instead. Best part? The speakers that were in a "locked room" were sitting in the hall. Gotta love people when the pressure for the event starts kicking into high gear.

I had a similar situation while rigging lights for a large event at our college. I was out on an I-beam (roped in properly) accessing a lighting position, and someone yelled that they wanted me to get something or other that would be my responsibility to get, so no big deal. I yelled back that I would be right down as soon as these lights were focused (which was what I was doing), so that I wouldnt have to walk out on a beam again. I was then told that as a techie, it was my job to jump to this person's demands. The way this person said it, like I was a servant or something, just made me never want to use that term for a technician again or hear myself called it. The person was also hopping mad when I got down from the beam too, like somehow it was my job to be you know, doing my job and I ought to have been following her around instead. Best part? The speakers that were in a "locked room" were sitting in the hall. Gotta love people when the pressure for the event starts kicking into high gear.

And this is where I'm different; I would enjoy pissing that woman off. I would speak to her in slow, plain language, and do my part in making her night miserable. I would constantly reference that locked room, and tell her about how getting that room unlocked was so difficult, and mention that those lights can't get focused now because we ran out of grease manifolds (of course, I also would have already focused the lights, but she doesn't need to know that, now does she), or some other bull**** that she can pace over and smoke her nicotine patch outside. Eventually if you piss off the idiots enough, they leave you alone. Just never sacrifice your respect for the job, and you can be all the ass you want to be. :)

This is an issue with the person; if she had done the exact same thing and used the terms 'tech', 'stagehand', or 'labor' it wouldn't have made her comments suddenly respectful. If WE allow 'techie' to be a corruption of our careers, then that's what it will become.

Roadies are roadies. Techies are techies. And you better **** sure respect us. But don't hate the word just because you don't like the person using it.

And this is where I'm different; I would enjoy pissing that woman off. I would speak to her in slow, plain language, and do my part in making her night miserable. I would constantly reference that locked room, and tell her about how getting that room unlocked was so difficult, and mention that those lights can't get focused now because we ran out of grease manifolds (of course, I also would have already focused the lights, but she doesn't need to know that, now does she), or some other bull**** that she can pace over and smoke her nicotine patch outside. Eventually if you piss off the idiots enough, they leave you alone. Just never sacrifice your respect for the job, and you can be all the ass you want to be. :)

This is an issue with the person; if she had done the exact same thing and used the terms 'tech', 'stagehand', or 'labor' it wouldn't have made her comments suddenly respectful. If WE allow 'techie' to be a corruption of our careers, then that's what it will become.

Roadies are roadies. Techies are techies. And you better **** sure respect us. But don't hate the word just because you don't like the person using it.

See, enjoying pissing her off is just a pain in the a** and way much more work than going and doing what she wanted. That means I need to A, come up with things to piss her off and B, acutally do them, and while feet dragging is fun when you have plenty of wiggle time, when it would mean the show didnt go up in time, its just one more thing I dont have time for. And honestly, it is a problem with her, but the word now has a context for me. Its the same reason any word in the world becomes a swear word, because it means something to someone, generally negative. F*** on its own is just a word, a slang term referenceing a marrige relationship. However, it has, over time, come to mean something entirely different and now I cant even type it out on the forum or the Mods will come delete it. While I respect your ability to move beyond that, for me techie is now a loaded term, and one that implies a gofer/not useful enough to figure out what needs to be done and do it kind of person.

Also, not exactly sure what your job is (TD can be a lot of things), but if I piss off the idiots, I get yelled at or fired, so Im more liable to want to help them. Plus, isnt that kind of what doing large events is anyhow, doing something for a bunch of people who by our technical standards are bigger morons than the pointy haired boss? Heck, isnt that the job of any specialty profession? I tend to see my job as an electrician for theatre as a way to bring my skills and knowledge to people who dont have that, and allow them to do things that otherwise, they could only dream about. I think thats kind of the best part about it, that you and a dedicated team can take a bunch of pieces of paper and ideas floating around other people's heads and turn it into a world on stage, and then take it down and do it again. All that to say, I feel like your response to the situation would have just caused more problems, because not only is she having a bad day because of things she cant control, now your making her day worse intentionally. And does that really help the show? No. It helps you. However, the show is what your paid to make happen, none of us get paid to have a good day (except for that guy who got it made his job to be the "caretaker" of an island in australia. his job is pretty much to have a good day).

And this makes it harder for the rest of us... people like you giving the kind of people who give us a hard time an even worse time. To me it sounds like something said from a high school student who hasn't learned to respect people without first receiving respect.
It also makes me wonder how many people that has happened to have continued to use the term in a disrespectful manor. It also tells me that while some of your points are valid by doing what you described above your enhancing the thing your trying to stop.

Now by telling the woman that it was done by a contractor, or saying something to the fact of telling the woman that your responsibilities include focusing lights and it wouldn't make much sense to get down off a hard to get to spot get some speakers then get back to the spot that it would waste more time and end up not getting what she wanted done in the first place.

My grandfather told me a while ago that respect must be earned not given.

And this makes it harder for the rest of us... people like you giving the kind of people who give us a hard time an even worse time. To me it sounds like something said from a high school student who hasn't learned to respect people without first receiving respect.
It also makes me wonder how many people that has happened to have continued to use the term in a disrespectful manor. It also tells me that while some of your points are valid by doing what you described above your enhancing the thing your trying to stop.

Now by telling the woman that it was done by a contractor, or saying something to the fact of telling the woman that your responsibilities include focusing lights and it wouldn't make much sense to get down off a hard to get to spot get some speakers then get back to the spot that it would waste more time and end up not getting what she wanted done in the first place.

My grandfather told me a while ago that respect must be earned not given.

Exactly what I was going for in the second half of my post. I just do my job as well as I can, and being respectful is part of my job.

I was thinking about this earlier today and I realized, I dropped the -ie from it, when I switched from drinking mountain dew to drinking coffee.

I'm 41 and hate coffee, but can't get thorugh the day without my cold bubbly caffine. Does this mean I have to go back to being a techie?

BTW I just noticed that my vote above is somehow accidentally for Techie, that would be an error. Techie is a term I try to break out of my incoming freshmen. It was cute in high school. Now it's silly.

Yet it's funny how much this thread resonates, about every 6 months this thread appears again for another round of discussion.

As for ArthurRiot's comments. It all depends on who you are, how much experience you have, and where you work.
Although it sounds like fun, I sure wouldn't act like that where I'm at in life. There are others who can get away with it. You younger folks better wait 20 years before you attempt to try anything like he's describing.

Last edited:
See, enjoying pissing her off is just a pain in the a** and way much more work than going and doing what she wanted. That means I need to A, come up with things to piss her off and B, acutally do them, and while feet dragging is fun when you have plenty of wiggle time, when it would mean the show didnt go up in time, its just one more thing I dont have time for. And honestly, it is a problem with her, but the word now has a context for me. Its the same reason any word in the world becomes a swear word, because it means something to someone, generally negative. F*** on its own is just a word, a slang term referenceing a marrige relationship. However, it has, over time, come to mean something entirely different and now I cant even type it out on the forum or the Mods will come delete it. While I respect your ability to move beyond that, for me techie is now a loaded term, and one that implies a gofer/not useful enough to figure out what needs to be done and do it kind of person.

Also, not exactly sure what your job is (TD can be a lot of things), but if I piss off the idiots, I get yelled at or fired, so Im more liable to want to help them. Plus, isnt that kind of what doing large events is anyhow, doing something for a bunch of people who by our technical standards are bigger morons than the pointy haired boss? Heck, isnt that the job of any specialty profession? I tend to see my job as an electrician for theatre as a way to bring my skills and knowledge to people who dont have that, and allow them to do things that otherwise, they could only dream about. I think thats kind of the best part about it, that you and a dedicated team can take a bunch of pieces of paper and ideas floating around other people's heads and turn it into a world on stage, and then take it down and do it again. All that to say, I feel like your response to the situation would have just caused more problems, because not only is she having a bad day because of things she cant control, now your making her day worse intentionally. And does that really help the show? No. It helps you. However, the show is what your paid to make happen, none of us get paid to have a good day (except for that guy who got it made his job to be the "caretaker" of an island in australia. his job is pretty much to have a good day).

My background, since it was brought up: I am currently the TD for a county playhouse, and work regularly with the area HS on many many events, plus I try to regularly work labor calls with Baltimore's IATSE chapter, and have for years.

There is a delicate balance between standing up for yourself and jeopardizing a show or event. NEVER jeopardize your performance in this trade; take all safety measures appropriate and do the best job you can do. But that does not mean that you ever have to roll over for someone and be reduced to something less than respectable. I will not approve of people trivializing my work, though I also won't go around with a God complex, or I'm no better than them. And people have the right to be ignorant, but NOT the right to direct it at you.

I've had a job or two where I made it clear that if I wasn't valuable enough to be treated with basic respect, then that particular job wasn't valuable enough for my time. Some people need to realize when they are not in the position of strength that they think they are.

But these are all bigger issues. Simply put; 'Techie' is something we are, and should be proud of. I am not ashamed of being a tech, a techie, or being in this business. And I feel... well, kinda sad when I see others in this business use a descriptive term of my skill and trade used negatively. Say 'techie' with pride, and if someone else doesn't, let them know that's a foolish thing to do.

Not all theatre is equal, I know that. But wrong is wrong is wrong.

anyone who actually gets offended by being called one or the other needs to loosen up on their balls a little bit. If you're pretentious enough to get mad when someone calls you a techie (an abbreviation of TECHNICIAN) you need to learn to go with the flow.

anyone who actually gets offended by being called one or the other needs to loosen up on their balls a little bit. If you're pretentious enough to get mad when someone calls you a techie (an abbreviation of TECHNICIAN) you need to learn to go with the flow.

That's cool and all, but when it comes to a producer deciding how much they are willing to pay for your services, which do they think will be worth more, a techie or a technician? There's nothing wrong with wanting your position to be respected. The real issue at hand is the people who call technicians "techies" are the people more likely to be condescending and oblivious to just how real the job is.

Tech is an abreviation for technician, techie is a bastardization of it. While OK in a school setting, when you move to the professional side, ones that tend to call techs, techies also believe you should work for less because it's fun. While it can be a fun occupation, it is still work and can be quite tedious and physically demanding.
I don't think it is so much getting mad about it, as it is offending because many times it's demeaning.

Tech is an abreviation for technician, techie is a bastardization of it. While OK in a school setting, when you move to the professional side, ones that tend to call techs, techies also believe you should work for less because it's fun. While it can be a fun occupation, it is still work and can be quite tedious and physically demanding.
I don't think it is so much getting mad about it, as it is offending because many times it's demeaning.

I won't disagree with your point that people can demean us, but I think we're misdirecting our frustration when we have a problem with the word itself.

The way that i was told that it came about from a teacher, who has worked as a tech his entire life, it is an insult. It is a way of actors calling techs names and getting away with it. I wouldn't go around calling the actors "acties" which is what they do to techs. So the proper term is tech

This is what my local sound guru told me. I prefer to go by tech, I'll accept techie from people of power (principle) that have no better way of describing me.

Sound Engineer has appeal to me though, I have no degree but I'm good at wiring everything together in the right order and I will have a degree so I will have that title someday :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back