Technicians gifts

I was thinking a compact Surefire LED light, costs more but blows the maglite LED out of the water. Also, I agree with leathermans and gloves ( i need a new pair). I might even think a professional copy of vectorworks could do no harm.

Have you seen the 100 lumen LED upgrade for your old fashioned AA Mag? Same output as the $190 Surefire L5 LED... and it uses AA batteries instead of the more expensive lithiums.

They also make an 80 lumen Red model which would be cool. Then there's the 140 lumen upgrade kit for my big 3 D battery Mag. That would be sweet camping.

I've got to get some of these.

On the other hand check this out. 2 of the little 123 lithium batteries and you get 215 lumens of power for about an hour. And it's only $67.50. It's only 4 1/2" long!

Last edited:
I'm using a cheap one from walmart now, how bug better does the "native" mag led work?

It is really quite good. I unfortunately don't have the fancy light meter but it's bright enough for most things. I stood on stage next to my friend and his $80 tactical and we both shined our lights into the grid. There was very little difference in the two. Initial cost 1/3 the price, plus cheaper batteries, it isn't worth the difference for me. Now that 215 lumen light I posted a link to above on the other hand may be enough to convert me. WOW.

Also note these upgrades are for the old incandescent MAG's not the new LEDs.

Hi all,

My husband just got a as a technical director, he essentially manages the theater as well. I am trying to figure out a job-related gift for him for Christmas. I know that there are already a number of theater-related books at the theater, he has nice flashlights and pocket knife type things. Since he is brand new to this, is there anything else that you use on a regular basis that he might like? Even a certain type of shoes/shirt/anything else? A handy tool? Something funny? Looking to spend under $50.

Thank you!!!

A bright laser pointer to say, Hey what is that or I don't like that." It is also fun when not at work.

The Stage junk tools are fantastic. If he has more than a few moving lights and deals with lots of higher end shows coming through with road cases and things then the Ultimate Focus tool from stage junk is a better choice. If the theater is mostly lights that don't move then the flat focus tool is the way to go.

I just got a TD job myself and went out and bought a bunch of new clothes. I absolutely love these Wrangler Performance Polos. They are really lightweight and comfortable. I got 3 and I'm going to order two more.

Personally, I love older books. Stanley McCandles' "A Method for lighting the stage" is sort of the Bible of early stage lighting. I was given a copy from the 40's as a gift a few years ago and I love it. I would love an even older edition for my library. http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...tn=method+of+lighting+the+stage&x=-629&y=-657

My wife just bought me a book. "Technical Theatre for Nontechnical People" by Drew Campbell. It's absolutely fantastic. She also had a shirt made for me. Simple black shirt with big white letters on the front reading "RTFM," a phrase I'm constantly preaching to my techs. (Read The F***ing Manual)

That was the book we used for the non major tech theatre experience course in college, it's a decent little book for being so basic.

Via tapatalk

Yeah I've used that book as my text for intro to tech theater classes. It does a great job of covering the basics in a clear and fun way.

i have two students graduating this year and want to get them thank you gifts both will be going on to work in the field. They both have there basic gear. But I wanted to get them something else. I was looking for suggestions from sound and lighting professionals on gifts that might be good for a tech starting out

The amount of money you're willing to spend is a big factor.

Stuff I've always liked (just as gifts I've gotten in general) would include bright flashlights (we're talking at least 100 lumens here), a nice tool box, different tape, a nice soldering iron, a pullbox of 1000ft of CAT5E, a decent cordless drill, and multi-tools.

Sadly, technical work isn't cheap, so there's not any real big gifts you could get that are relatively affordable. I'd love to get a Martin Viper, but we all know that nobody's going to gift that to me. (There seems to be something about me and expensive work and hobbies- computer building, gaming, guitar, and model railroading- why me? Stamp collecting is a perfectly fine hobby.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back