Technobeam help?

Re: Technobeam issues and questions...

Make sure the iris is open all the way and you can open up the lense tube and move around the lenses to adjust beam angle. It is covered in the manual as to which ones to put into which slots.

Great info... I will check this out and see the difference between the new and old units.

I was going to open the lens tube and noticed that the lens might fall off and would be rather difficult to re-install so I decided to
bring them down to check them. I then decided to pair the two STRONG ones and the two old LWR together-you might call it cheating LOL!
now I saw at the back of the store room two more Technobeams accumulating dust...
I plugged one and was trying to home but was giving me a Gb1 error message HOME...
I tried to strike the lamp but was blowing a .63A fuse every time, twice.
the other unit doesn't power up at all.

Make sure the voltage and frequency are set correctly on the switches. Also the fuse should be a 6.3a fuse. Make sure all of the proper fuses are installed including their blow speeds. Usually fuses protecting the lamp circuitry are slow blow due to the current inrush and fuses just protecting the electronics are fast blow. If the fuse blows as soon as you plug it into the wall I bet the rectifier bridge that converts AC to dc has shorted. I have replaced quite a few in techno beams due to people not having the voltage selector switches set properly. If the lamp fuse is the proper size and type and is blowing when it lamps on then there it could be a bad ballast, Ignitor, or shorted lamp wiring. The gobo error could be due to a bad motor, try spinning the motor by hand if it is easy to move than the motor is probably good. Power up the fixture and see if it try's to move the gobo wheel if it does and the wheel keeps spinning than it is a problem with the optical sensor. I the wheel does not move than it is a problem with the driver chip. Some technobeams have a spare chip installed in the slot labeled spare you can pull the one out of there. The driver chip is a 3773 that is available and most large electronic stores.

All these info is heaven for me... THANK YOU!!! and more power!!! I'll check this out ASAP!!!!!!!!!
your last post was your 1,111th~~!!!
and I guess you should be thanked half of that!!!

I have used the 6.3A fuse and is now striking the lamp.

Found out I have no lens inside the tube.
Will be cannibalizing the other one that won't power up.

I will swap the sensors to see what would happen.

Question again...

I have also seen a box of what looked like brand new motors.
Is there a particular motor for litho, mirror, flags strobe?
I couldn't see any markings or numbers

The only difference between the motors is the shaft length. I just match them up. If you need to they can be shortened using a hack saw but it is not easy.

Is there a way to know if motors are good?

These stepper motors I found are giving me different resistance when I turn the shafts!
One is fluidly turning... a few would give you a feel that you are going through little teeth or gears...

I know it's a challenge to put it together and dismantle them again, specially when my eyes are going (just like the rest of
my internal organs after years of cognac abuse!)

I was up until 3 AM last night!

Just wanted to get info again thanks gents!

They are supposed to have little steps felt. Some motors you feel more than others. When they go bad they normally completely lock up. In some very rare cases no resistance is felt but I have had new motors where no resistance is felt. Also I am not sure if you know but you can unscrew the 4 Allen scews that are holding the handles on then the back cover will come off and you can slide all of the guts out onto the work bench. Be sure to unplug the pan and tilt wires before you slide it out all the way. You can also test the fixture while it is apart. I pull the lamp out though so I am not blinded and exposed to UV rays from the lamp. Also like halogen lamps do not touch them with your hands. Use gloves or a towel.

Last edited:

Thanks to the TIM and Derek... I have now sorted out the rig!
Swapped around the sensors and replaced two motors and VIOLA!!!
I have now a spare Technobeam!!

tecnoOLDswapPARTS.JPG

Over the years I have used technobeam it gave me issues where I program cues and then when I go to the start of the show the fixture would retain the color of gobo from the last cue. Something like that or it would go to a color where there's a quarter moon of a white patch pushing the color so it's not a whole green or red... but overall they have been a joy to work with!

I have been using the expression then my boss said he'll buy a new board ... I was so excited!
Thinking it would be a Hog or something else... something "touch screen"
he bought me an ETC experssion with emphasis! it works he said and I get paid
LOL!!!!!!! I told him I won't tune up his car anymore for free!!!

I have repaired several of my techno's, the pan and tilt motors have little spring loaded breaks on them that wear out or break allowing the motors to slip position. Possibly replacing the driver chips could resolve the problem. These are great older fixtures.

technobeam doesn't home

I have a technobeam that doesn't home when plugged in, it powers up and all the red bars on the screen are lit. The voltage settings are correct, the fuses are good, the fan runs, it just doesn't begin the home process. Any ideas on where to begin the fix?

Re: technobeam doesn't home

Either the software has crashed or the CPU has failed. I would see if you could upload from another fixture, if not it will have to be sent to light parts or strong for repair, Highend may still repair the boards. Also you may have to try cross loading the software several times before it goes if it does.

I've got one that had the board replaced about 6 months ago. It worked great (other than a potentially iffy tilt motor), sat in the shop for 3 months, was used (and worked great on one show), then sat in the shop another 3 months and now homes but won't let me change channel or settings. It flashes between C001 and version after it finishes homing if you push a button. I've tried the menu-enter to unlock the menu to no avail. Ideas?

One of the buttons are probably stuck you should feel them all click when you push them in. Some times people manage to knock the buttons off and under them are little springs that fly off and then a little thin piece of metal that shorts between two pieces of wire when the button is pressed. You can test these by putting an ohm meter across them and pushing down (test while the fixture is off). Another way is to open the top cover and carefully remove the gray button, pull slightly sideways and it comes right off. Be sure to watch the little spring and thin foil piece. You can short between the terminals using a screw driver to verify the operation. While shorting the terminals using the screw driver be careful not to short any other components or touch the connectors on the board there is line voltage present.

hello again all...

hope all of you are doing great!

another challenge was thrown at me...

The Mayor and his goons came one evening asking (coerce is more like it ) the operations manager
to place a special gobo for his anniversary party.

Is there a manufactrer that we can contact and request for the special application? I know the boss wants this done as he will benefit from having a Mayor as his "friend!"

I hate politicians, this mayor in particular... they think they own the world!!!

Oh question... is this do-able so I can tell my boss and the freakin' goon!

thanks gents!

Kelite would no doubt be along soon to direct you to his company, so I'll save him the trouble. They can do laser-cut or glass custom gobos, and are very good at it.
Apollo Design | Gobos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back