The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Telephone Do Not Call Registry

Discussion in 'News' started by ship, Aug 11, 2005.

1. ship

ship Senior Team Emeritus Premium Member

For home and Cell Phones - very quick and easy to complet:

JUST A QUICK REMINDER......

In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are
    being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive
    sales calls. You will be charged for these calls. Call this number from
    your cell phone 888-382-1222. It is the national DO NOT CALL list administered by the Office of the (US) Attorney General. It
    only takes a minute of your time. It blocks your number for 5 years.
    Please pass this on to everyone you know who doesn't want to be hassled.

You can also go to the following website:

http://www.donotcall.gov

2. Andy_Leviss

Andy_Leviss Active Member Premium Member

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY FALSE

See:
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

Read the whole article there, but here's a good summary from a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel they quote:

As a general rule, anytime somebody sends you an e-mail with a panicked "you MUST do X" and "forward this to everybody you know so they're warned" in it, the last thing you should do is forward it. The first thing you should do is go to Snopes and do a search for it. 9 times out of 10 there's no cause for panic, be it because the warning is entirely false or it only contains snippets of truth blown out of proportion.

3. Dale

Dale Member

I recieved an e-mail in my hotmail account saying if you do not forward this e-mail you're hotmail account will be deleted. So I deleted the post. It seems real but I think it would have to have come from MSN and not one of my friends.

4. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Ya, it would have come from MSN and why would they need you to forward it.. they could (and do) send a bulk e-mail out to all hotmail users and if they really wanted to (and wanted to get into some privacy issues) they could send out a message to all their users and all the contacts in all their users' address book. All this stuff about tracking e-mails (to save a kid or get money or whatever) is completely bogus too!

5. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stageline Operator/Staging Supervisor
    You do know that if you don't use hotmail for a month the account gets deleted.

6. The_Guest

The_Guest Senior Team Emeritus Premium Member

My, how informative.

7. Dale

Dale Member

Yeah I do know that. :)

8. Mayhem

Mayhem Senior Team Emeritus Premium Member

Most likely to have been spam and not from MSN. Same as the emails that went around some time ago that were apparently from Microsoft sending an attachment so that you could update Windows.

A lot of these people use generators to make up the emails and most now put them in the BCC field when sending them, so that you do not see the distribution list. Although, a few have filled in the TO field and I remember seeing my user name being the same for every address, just the domain changing (eg. [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and so on).

I still get ones from my bank telling me to log on through their new portal and despite having the logo and everything, it just screams fake.

9. Radman

Radman Well-Known Member

Thanks Ship I would've never known! I'll tell everyone I know!

10. Andy_Leviss

Andy_Leviss Active Member Premium Member

Ryan, please, DON'T. Just further spreading the misinformation. See my post above! Can you put your cell number on the DNC registry? Sure. Can it hurt? No. Do you need to? No. Should you panic and get all up in arms that your number is being sold/given out without your permission? No, because IT ISN'T.