ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
For home and Cell Phones - very quick and easy to complet:

JUST A QUICK REMINDER......

In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are
being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive
sales calls. You will be charged for these calls. Call this number from
your cell phone 888-382-1222. It is the national DO NOT CALL list administered by the Office of the (US) Attorney General. It
only takes a minute of your time. It blocks your number for 5 years.
Please pass this on to everyone you know who doesn't want to be hassled.

You can also go to the following website:

http://www.donotcall.gov

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY FALSE

See:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

Read the whole article there, but here's a good summary from a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel they quote:

There is a grain of truth in the message making it believable, but it's wrong on two counts: Not all cell phone numbers will be listed in the national directory planned for 2006. And telemarketers will not have access to the directory. It is illegal for marketers using auto-dialers — and most do — to call wireless phone numbers.

Here's the truth:

A national directory will be compiled, but numbers will be included on an opt-in basis. If a cell phone subscriber does nothing, the number will not be listed. When the directory is ready, it will be available only as part of the existing 411 directory service, accessed by calling in and asking for a specific number. It will not be published in a book or on the Internet. And it will not be sold to telemarketers.

Cell phone subscribers can list their numbers on the do-not-call registry if they choose, but there is no deadline to get on the list, as the e-mail messages now circulating suggest

As a general rule, anytime somebody sends you an e-mail with a panicked "you MUST do X" and "forward this to everybody you know so they're warned" in it, the last thing you should do is forward it. The first thing you should do is go to Snopes and do a search for it. 9 times out of 10 there's no cause for panic, be it because the warning is entirely false or it only contains snippets of truth blown out of proportion.

I recieved an e-mail in my hotmail account saying if you do not forward this e-mail you're hotmail account will be deleted. So I deleted the post. It seems real but I think it would have to have come from MSN and not one of my friends.

Ya, it would have come from MSN and why would they need you to forward it.. they could (and do) send a bulk e-mail out to all hotmail users and if they really wanted to (and wanted to get into some privacy issues) they could send out a message to all their users and all the contacts in all their users' address book. All this stuff about tracking e-mails (to save a kid or get money or whatever) is completely bogus too!

Dale said:
I recieved an e-mail in my hotmail account saying if you do not forward this e-mail you're hotmail account will be deleted. So I deleted the post. It seems real but I think it would have to have come from MSN and not one of my friends.

You do know that if you don't use hotmail for a month the account gets deleted.

avkid said:
Dale said:

My, how informative.

avkid said:
Dale said:

Yeah I do know that. :)

Dale said:

Most likely to have been spam and not from MSN. Same as the emails that went around some time ago that were apparently from Microsoft sending an attachment so that you could update Windows.

A lot of these people use generators to make up the emails and most now put them in the BCC field when sending them, so that you do not see the distribution list. Although, a few have filled in the TO field and I remember seeing my user name being the same for every address, just the domain changing (eg. [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and so on).

I still get ones from my bank telling me to log on through their new portal and despite having the logo and everything, it just screams fake.

Thanks Ship I would've never known! I'll tell everyone I know!

Ryan, please, DON'T. Just further spreading the misinformation. See my post above! Can you put your cell number on the DNC registry? Sure. Can it hurt? No. Do you need to? No. Should you panic and get all up in arms that your number is being sold/given out without your permission? No, because IT ISN'T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back