Telex BP-1000/1002 volume differences

I recently pulled all the headsets and cable out of my space to do some maintenance and to put all new cable in. While testing all the beltpacks and headsets, I noticed that some of them seem to have louder volume coming into the headset than others, meaning other people will sound louder to me with the same volume setting depending on the pack. They were all consistent except three that were much louder, one was a BP1002 and the others were likely BP1000's but the model number has rubbed off over time. I swapped out beltpacks while using the same headset and vice versa, and it's definitely something with the beltpacks. I know there is a side tone adjustment, which I believe is just for what you hear of yourself in your own ear. Is that correct? The other person I was testing with didn't hear differences on their end with these different packs, they used the same beltpack and headset throughout the testing. I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this before. In an ideal world, I'd make all the packs match the louder levels, but if not, maybe just get the louder ones to match the rest.

Sidetone only affects the local headset mix and has no effect on the audio going out to the rest of the Partyline. There isn't a mic gain in these belt packs per se...but there are jumper/switch settings for dynamic mic or electret mic elements. There's about a 20db gain difference between the two choices. Download the user guide to these from rtsintercoms.com if you don't have them for more info. I would adjust to the lower level, you run the risk of distorting the mic amp by setting them all higher.

I opened several to compare, and I can't see any difference between identical units (since the PCB's are different on some) between ones that are loud and ones that are soft. All have their switches and jumpers in the same positions. Maybe it's just capacitor wear or some other part that is slightly off that's causing the difference?

To avoid opening another thread, does anyone have experience repairing these units? I've got an email to Telex to see if they still service the 1000/1002 lines, since it doesn't look like they make them anymore; they're all RTS branded now. I have two beltpacks that won't output sound to the rest of the system. Opening them up doesn't reveal any obvious damage. I see the circuit boards are still available for $140 each, so maybe that's the best option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back