Telex BP1002 problems

msawyer52

I help volunteer at a HS theater. They currently use the Telex intercom system powered by a PS-1F . They are running 5 BP-1002 beltpack units and have been for 10 years. This week they could barely hear each other through the system but could hear themselves clearly in their own headset. I've checked for shorts and open circuits at each connector box and check each connecting cable but don't find any problem. I'm showing at least 24v at the power supply itself. I eliminated the house wiring by connecting a beltpack directly to the power supply and daisy chained another unit to the first, still could not clearly hear the other unit. The only common item is the power supply. Could this be failing under load from all units connected. Just trying to be sure before replacing a $400 power supply. Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm sure it could be repaired (even by Telex) for less than $400. Alternatively, Full Compass Systems service department might be a good "go to" on this for repair.
Thanks, I''l look into repair, may not be in time for my production opening next Wednesday.

upload_2019-3-27_22-3-44.png

You may want to check for AC voltage on the output. One of the caps may have failed, other that that there is not much else to it.

And, measure the DC voltage with a few beltpacks connected, with someone talking. If it sags badly under load, that would be a good clue.

Just from seeing the schematic, I would replace C1. As I've posted many times before, electrolytic capacitors frequently fail from heat and age, especially in DC filtering duties. That's an easy, $2 part to find. Just mind the polarity when soldering in the new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back