Telex->clearcom base

Diggits5

So I help with a completely outdated HS theater. They have an old 2ch telex system but it's been acting up. Power on=screeching then shutdown.

I have a clearcom base but everytime I power up, it shorts.

My question, is the wiring of the panels causing it to fault or is there possibly a legit short in the wiring causing the issues?

Second, can I convert to use a clearcom base with telex packs? TIA

Without any other connections, with either the Telex or ClearCom stay on? No headset, no mic cable, nothing...

If either/both stay on, I suspect that you have a bad connecting cable or defective installed intercom wiring.

ClearCom and Telex are not directly compatible.

Edit ps: more than you want to know about intercom -

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. With the telex power, it starts squealing but the beltpack does work when its directly hooked up to the PS. The clearcom straight goes to short when a beltpack/headset is connected. I did see a cable that was under a case wheel that looks squished. Hopefully it's not that. If I find a way to utilize the clearcom base, do I need to then use clearcom packs only? We also have the 2ch selectable telex wall plates if that matters. Thanks!

Last edited:
Your best bet would be to go through the system cable by cable. Power up the base station by itself with no cables or packs plugged in. Keep adding components until the undesirable outcome you list occurs. That is the component you need to look at for a short. It is very common to have a mic cable that got run over or caught in a door to cause this. I always make sure to moved the cables and connectors around when I add a component. Often times a connector is fine until pressure is applied to it. If you have the old RS series beltpacks, one could be missing the cardboard inside and faulting out on the metal housing. I have had to fix these two issues more times than I can count.

There are a few other brands that are compatible with Clearcom, but I do not think you can use the Telex on a Clearcom base station.

~Dave

Thank you! The cable that looks run over is coming out of a wall port and I need to trace it. I also asked for construction drawings but I'm not holding my breath for those.

Thanks for the help. If I make any progress I'll post about it.

For your Telex problem - and likely your ClearCom - the answer is in the RTS link I provided.

@Diggits5 If you need to add any gear to your system, I encourage you to check out Pro Intercom LLC (Formerly known as Production Intercom). They make rock solid gear that is more durable (aluminum belt packs), lower in price, more comfortable headsets, and compatible with the big manufacturers. I've owned a lot of their gear over the last 10 years and it's all great. @Diana Mullis is a CB member and the owner. Drop her a private message if you need any help.

@Diggits5 If you need to add any gear to your system, I encourage you to check out Pro Intercom LLC (Formerly known as Production Intercom). They make rock solid gear that is more durable (aluminum belt packs), lower in price, more comfortable headsets, and compatible with the big manufacturers. I've owned a lot of their gear over the last 10 years and it's all great. @Diana Mullis is a CB member and the owner. Drop her a private message if you need any help.
Thank you for your support and kind words. All our products are Clear-Com compatible so we can help you get that system up and running. The Telex/RTS is a different story as it is a balanced intercom system whereas Clear-Com and Pro Intercom are unbalanced. Give us a call or email via www.prointercomllc.com if we can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back