Telex PS-2L

lieperjp

Hello! I'm new to a school and one item I want to purchase/implement is an intercom system. Just did a show without any communication system at all, wow, what a challenge.

I mentioned this to the band teacher who was like, "We have one a production company left once. I don't know if it works." Went up to find a Telex system with 10 headsets, belt packs, cables, and a PS-2L. I can't find any instructions or information on the system and am wondering if anyone would have some info on it, or even if it's worth monkeying around with. With the exception of ebay listings, it's like this product never existed. I'm going to test it out over Christmas break and I'm assuming I can just plug in the belt packs into a channel and daisy chain from there for now, if it even works.

Thanks for any help!

I believe I have used this wired intercom power supply before. My impression is that it is pretty solid and reliable. You will have to test out the rest of the system as headsets, belt packs, and cables tend to get more abuse. Yes, you can just daisy chain from the power supply. It would seem to me to be better than nothing or better than using phones. Interesting that it was just abandoned.

I believe I have used this wired intercom power supply before. My impression is that it is pretty solid and reliable. You will have to test out the rest of the system as headsets, belt packs, and cables tend to get more abuse. Yes, you can just daisy chain from the power supply. It would seem to me to be better than nothing or better than using phones. Interesting that it was just abandoned.

Thanks. After asking around this morning, I'm willing to bet it was abandoned because something on the Power Supply wasn't working correctly and it was old. I'll do some testing like you suggest and see what I can find out. I figure I can find a replacement power supply on ebay for $50-75 so it might be worth it just to try it out and (hopefully) have a working system.

If that doesn't work, you can give mumble a whirl.. Very flexible as to which devices/computer types to host and connect with, including phones via wifi and an app
We run our 600 seat theater on Mumble on a raspberry pi server, an old router for extra coverage, and a variety of old thin clients pulled from a business, and raspberry pi stations.
We achieve wireless beltpack function either with regular bluetooth (can wander 30 feet from base) or now Logitech usb dect headsets.. (about 300 feet to base) Low latency, high clarity.. Have run many many performances over several years now. Very viable option. Ours runs on a "closed" wifi and cat5 network.. not connected to the internet/outside world in any way.

Thanks. After asking around this morning, I'm willing to bet it was abandoned because something on the Power Supply wasn't working correctly and it was old. I'll do some testing like you suggest and see what I can find out. I figure I can find a replacement power supply on ebay for $50-75 so it might be worth it just to try it out and (hopefully) have a working system.
Chances are it's a linear supply, which are repairable.

As much as ClearCom is the industry standard for entertainment intercom, I personally prefer the Telex wired systems. They work, they sound good, and they play very well with other brands. If the power supply is bad, it's worth the effort to get it fixed or buy a new one. A performing arts company I'm currently doing some work for has just invested about $5,000 in (mostly) used CC equipment, in order to build a 15-station in "mobile" com packege. Of those 15, they already had four belt packs and a 2-channel remote station available from the existing fixed system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back