Telex SS-2P Speaker Station issues

Back again. After trying to use a Clear Com squawk box on our Telex Audiocom system without much luck, I got a Telex Audiocom SS-2P Two Channel Speaker Station off of eBay. When I got it, I discovered it needed 6-pin XLR cables. I've got the adapters and I'm trying to wire up 3-pin to 6-pin adapters to interface with our installed system. It's a 2 channel station, but I only need it to use one channel, as we just combine the channels on our base station (don't need them separate). I've wired it just like a standard XLR cable: Pin 1 - Ground, Pin 2 - Pos, Pin 3 - Neg. I hooked it up to our system and I'm not getting anything on the SS-2P. BUT, when I hook another headset through it, I do get that sending and receiving just fine, so I know the signal is passing through the SS-2P. I've tried switching between Channel 1 and 2 on the SS-2P with the same results. Any ideas as to what I'm missing? Both my Base Station and Speaker Station are switched to Balanced.

I was referencing this page for wiring:
Re: Telex XLR wiring question?

I've also tried wiring the "Channel A" audio to Pin 3 and Pin 4 with the same results.

Don't use that post, all that info is for Clear-Com. Clear-Com uses a different power supply method than Telex AudioCom, so the pinouts in that post are of no use. Go to Telex's site and download the manual, in the back pages should be the pinouts you need. Also check the dip switches, Telex speaker stations can take local power or line power and I don't remember right now if one of the dip switches controls the power source but I think it may.

Dover

I don't see any dip switches on my unit. The only manual I can find on the Telex website is for the SS-2000 series, which seems to be an updated version of the unit I have. The manual I did get does have some wiring info, so I'll just trial and error that stuff and hopefully I'll figure it out.

That manual is apparently quite different. I called Telex tech support, and he was able to send me the manual and schematic to the actual unit I have. He told me from what I'm describing, there might be something wrong with the unit, as the way it's supposed to be wired doesn't work for me but two other ways I've wired it gets the speaker to work but no talkback on the headset. The troubleshooting continues...

Yes, hopefully I will have a spare beltpack, and I'll just have to do that.

The speaker isn't blown, in fact, that's the only thing I can get to work right. The best I could do was get the speaker to work by wiring one to one, which isn't the correct way but it works. I got nothing by wiring it the way Telex support told me. Anyway, I've spent too much time troubleshooting it at this point, there's gotta be something wrong with it on the circuit board, but I can't see anything to indicate that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back