Installs telex wall mount wm1000 install help

neergmas

we've got a pretty new booth here, and the old one had installed headset panels, so now they want those in this new room. i've got the telex wall packs and the instruction manual it came with, and have even had our facilities guys over here, and its unfortunately greek to us... anyone have any experience that they can offer up? i can take pictures if needed of the back, but here's a product page: Telex WM-1000 - Single-Channel Wall Mount F.01U.118.639 B&H

we've got a beltpack currently that will be replaced with this headset, so we've got xlr cable running from the power supply, i just don't want to get into ripping apart cable and cutting off ends and such before i know what i'm doing.

thank you in advance for any help, and let me know if there's more info needed!

So you've got a XLR end (three pin) that connects to your beltpack, so you're running a single channel configuration?

Pin 1 on XLR is your Common which will connect to Pin 1 on the Wall Mount unit,
Pin 2 on your XLR is Intercom Low which will connect to Pin 4 on the Wall Mount Unit,
Pin 3 on your XLR is Intercom High which will connect to Pin 3 on your Wall Mount Unit.

ok, im almost set to do the install and i know where the pins correspond to, but now i'm unsure what to do with the shield and there's an extra bit of wire in the cable that i don't know what to do with... photo.JPG photo.JPGphoto.JPG

so there's the black, red, white and green cables, and thats the common, low and high, and those go to pins 1, 2, &3 as per the wiring config, but i dont know what to do with the shield and the silver colored bare cable, and i included the picture of the xlr internals just for a point of reference, i suppose.. should/does anything get attached to the silver part of the xlr connector?

i apologize for sounding disjointed, and thank you in advance and post-advice for your help

Looking at page 19, the diagram shows that the shields are not connected at the WM-19. Cut off the shield foil and shield drain wire close to the jacket end. Put a small wrap of electrical tape around the end of the jacket to insulate the remaining whiskers of the foil and drain from contacting anything. You need to shorten the bare ends of the other four wires to about 1/4" to fit into the terminal strip.

In situations where you do connect the shield, like at the power supply or other stations, you cut off the foil but twist the strands of the drain wire together. It isn't always necessary, but it is good practice to put a piece of 1/16" shrink tubing over the drain to keep its length from inadvertently shorting to something else.

Don't strip the individual wires excessively like shown in the picture. They should be stripped bare only enough as needed for the type of connection to be made because excess bare wire is a short waiting to happen. Someday, you'll run into a situation where that last couple of wasted inches will be what you need to make it work.

just seeing if there's one last drop of knowledge to be squeezed. first, everything is all installed and working. thank you for the tip of not stripping too close, and the installs do just have the least bit of wire stripped at the ends so they make contact inside only. here's the hitch... as soon as the plug for the headset touches the port on the wall mount unit, the three lights go out. the unit still functions and the buttons still toggle talk and listen on and off and call, etc, and turning the power off and on again brings the lights back up only to go out again when the headset plug touches it. i will note that one of the wm units did fall from a table, and i dont know if this is that specific unit or what that could jar. again, thanks in advance to anyone with an idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back