Temporary Dead Hanging

Discussion in 'Scenery, Props, and Rigging' started by Christopher Bernardi, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Christopher Bernardi

Christopher Bernardi Member

So I'm putting together plans for the scenery of a show called Constellations, and I really want to use dead hung mirrors all over the space to further cement my interpretation of the multiverse theory, but since the space is used as a classroom during the day, I need to figure out a way to rig the mirrors temporarily so that I or any other member of the stage crew can strike them quickly and easily and re-hang them just as fast. Does anyone have any suggestions? The space is a fairly standard small black box configuration with a basic schedule 40 grid roughly 40' by 25'.

2. JonCarter

JonCarter Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    Hang 1/8" airplane cables, 2 (or maybe 3 if the mirror needs to tilt) where the mirrors are needed with a quick-connect fitting (harness snap?) on the ends. Put carriage rings on the mirror frames. How high from the floor do these need to hang? If low enuf, your crew working from the ground can unsnap the mirrors and strike them. If too high to reach from the floor you may need a rolling A ladder to strike. After striking the mirrors roll your A ladder around & tie the cables up to the grid.

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. bobgaggle

bobgaggle Well-Known Member

Shop Foreman
    What's quickly? if you've got 50 mirrors, you can hang 5 each on 10 wooden battens and hook/clamp/tie/safely fasten the 10 pieces of wood to your grid. That's 80% quicker than hanging each one individually... how quick you want to go?

RonHebbard likes this.