Control/Dimming Temporary House Light control during renovation

Starting in May my lighting booths are undergoing a total renovation for a few months. In those booths are my lighting system network rack and the Unison System control. All of it needs to be disconnected and removed to make way for the demo phase. I am prepared to do this and since I don't need the lighting system it's not a big deal. But I still need control over my house and lobby lights.

The actual dimmer rack is in another location and it has DMX input so the problem is not really complicated. I could plug in an old light board and make it work. Unfortunately security guards and maintenance workers will have access so it needs to be really simple.

I need a simple controller with on/off functions for 2 different locations(stage and lobby)
. And since I only need it for 3 months it can't cost an arm and a leg. Are there products out there that could do this? A DMX controller that could network over WIFI? Does anybody have any suggestions?

I just started working on the problem so I'm open to all suggestions.

John Manderbach
Head Electrician

BAM Harvey Theatre
651 Fulton Street
Brooklyn, NY 11217

Either get a DFD apathy console or just throw constant power dimmers in there or park the channels on at full in the rack and leave it burning 24/7. Who is doing the re-model work? Odds are they should be able to provide something.

A question. Can the rest of the lighting system operate without the lighting system network rack and if not, where is it being relocated to, and can the Unison ER4 relocate as well ?. Then use some of the existing wiring or pull new to/from the booth as a temp connection, thus re-using the existing stations. If you need to re-locate the system rack, why not make the new location permanent and just re-wire ?.

If not, one item to look at is some Fleenor Preset 10 stations. They are similar to a Unison 10 button, but get programmed via a DMX snapshot. They send DMX directly and need a 9-24 VDC (typical) power source. You might be able to cobble together a WiFi DMX system for control, but in your space I would think that might be problematic and prone to interference if you use WiFi DMX for any event, unless it's a dark period.

Does driving Panic On, allow it to be turned off ?

ETC link - used for panic as I recall - which should also allow simple preset controls. Add one station temporarily and in the future keep it as a bcak-up or just an auxiliary device that can be patched however you want.

Does driving Panic On, allow it to be turned off ?

UL listed panic options will only release control via the same panic. They are just dry contact closures, like Bill mentioned many consoles have. Hook up a toggle switch or some 3ways and have On/Off very cheaply.
Some dimmer racks have more than just a panic input and Sensors have all sorts of options, depending on which version you have.

Legal Note: toggles are not UL listed for emergency systems.

Could you hook your board to the rack directly, and have a sub for the lobby and for the house lights. Use some console tape and lable them. Leave a note on the board that says somthing along the lines of here is the loby lights, here is the house. Let the guards and maintenance know about this change, and possably show them.
Its the free option!

Could you hook your board to the rack directly, and have a sub for the lobby and for the house lights. Use some console tape and lable them. Leave a note on the board that says somthing along the lines of here is the loby lights, here is the house. Let the guards and maintenance know about this change, and possably show them.
Its the free option!
Free until one of the non theatre people spill their Coke on your console.

Thanks everyone for the input! You've given me some great ideas.

Here's what's going to happen. At the close of the season the entire balcony (and the light booth) is being demolished right down to the steel trusses. I have 2 days to dismantle all the control equipment, pull back the wiring to the exterior wall, and protect it from damage. Two months later when there is a new balcony and brand new light booth I will re-install everything. As you might guess I don't have much time on either end. The trades will be waiting with sledge hammers and cutting torches in the beginning, and I'll be begging them to stop sanding drywall at the end.

While I'm tempted to permanently relocate the Unison control rack, I won't have the time to run conduit and install control lines to the new location. We are probably only 2 or 3 years away from a new house and lobby light system so there is no desire to spend money on this.

I'll be off-contract and away for most of the 2 months of the renovation. I'm not willing to leave a lighting console unattended. If you've spent any time in a construction site you will understand why my EOS and RPU will be wrapped in a blanket far away.

I really like the Fleenor Entry Station controllers. I could set up something quite functional with 2 of them. I'm going to propose it and see if the money is there. Either way I may buy an Apathy just to have the hostile interface...

The panic circuit is a terrific idea and easy to implement. I can build a 3-way switching set-up with 3pin jumpers and handy boxes, install it ahead of time and swap it into use when the time comes. I just need to make sure I'm ok to disconnect the fire panel's connection since there is no public.

Although I have an Eos and ACN control system, my racks are Sensors from the mid 90's. As is the Unison. It runs on steam.

Generally I recommend avoiding any messing around with fire systems.

On the other hand, you need not disconnect the fire system. The idea is to have a parallel system, so either one can turn the lights on. You would still be setting up a non-compliant system so check with legal department. ;)

Generally I recommend avoiding any messing around with fire systems.

On the other hand, you need not disconnect the fire system. The idea is to have a parallel system, so either one can turn the lights on. You would still be setting up a non-compliant system so check with legal department. ;)

I assume the theater will be closed and inoperative during this renovation (balcony down to the steel beams ?) thus all related fire alarm systems (which in any event is not the concern of the head electrician) will not be in operation. Presumably those systems are being dealt with by "others".

The fire alarm system is the concern of anyone touching it's wiring.

"By others" usually means keep your hands off. And since construction time is one of the most dangerous times in a building, the fire alarm system would be kept on unless it would be nuisance triggered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back