Term: "luminaire hickey"

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
Read this unfamiliar term in the latest EC&M: "luminaire hickey". What does it mean?

As always, students only for one week. And no googling (which may return unwanted results without a family filter engaged). Books and periodicals are encouraged.

Haven't hung that many practicals, eh?

I can think of three separate meanings for the term, so I'm interested in learning which you consider the "correct" one.

EDIT: Or, rather, which definition EC&M (which I don't receive) decided to use.

I believe I've heard the term in it's proper context, but to be honest, the first thing that popped into my mind was what happens when you accidentally brush your forearm on an Altman 360 at Full. :)

SAME. Back in high school, I used to always get "par 64 hickeys".

I believe I've heard the term in it's proper context, but to be honest, the first thing that popped into my mind was what happens when you accidentally brush your forearm on an Altman 360 at Full. :)

I've never heard the term before, but that's pretty much where my mind went as well. Had plenty of those over the years and figured there must be some creative name for them.

My first thought was that the term referred to what happens when the candlestick and the broom from beauty and the beast sneak off behind the curtains, but then I remembered that his name is Lumiere so that can't be right.

Kind of funny that the "hickey" in the picture has an odd resemblance to a "luminaire hickey".

proxy.php

SAME. Back in high school, I used to always get "par 64 hickeys".

Oh boy. W hen I was in High School there weren't even any Pars. LeeKos (some Kliegs), Fresnels, Sun Spots and carbon arc spots. No Pars. Or Scrollers, Rotating Gobos, or much of anything else. And my HS had rheostat dimmers. Come to think of it, Silicon Controlled Rectifier dimmers were really a fairly new thing then, for people with lots of money.

I MUST be getting old.

The "third" definintion I alluded to is the imprint made on gel when it's burnt through -- especially when color media and diffusion are close together, and some of the color tranfers to the otherwise opaque frost.

Sometimes also called "the kiss of death." The image of the lamp looks rather like a pair of lips -- not unlike the image @BillConnorASTC provided.

If were taking selfies.

image.jpg

There is also another luminaire hickey, although more related to practicals.
BrassHickey.PNG

Then there is also a somewhat related term related to luminaires, concerning tainted sockets, using a social disease term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back