Thatched Roof

We are producing Neil Simon's "Fools" this fall. The design calls for thatched roofs on various village structures, and I am looking for a (cheap) solution. I considered using raffia thatching that is available in rolls from various sources, but I'd like the look to be a little more "Eastern European" and a little less "tiki bar".

Long strips of shredded cardboard might work, but I don't have a source.

Anyone?

You could use straw, which is pretty inexpensive. There are several how to videos on the inter-webs. Here is just one.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I also think using raffia thatching might work if you can groom it into the right look. The biggest distinction between European thatching and a tiki bar roof is how manicured it looks. The lines are much straighter and less haphazard.

You could use straw, which is pretty inexpensive. There are several how to videos on the inter-webs. Here is just one.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I also think using raffia thatching might work if you can groom it into the right look. The biggest distinction between European thatching and a tiki bar roof is how manicured it looks. The lines are much straighter and less haphazard.

Cardboard, or straw would also however be quite a fire hazard.

Cardboard, or straw would also however be quite a fire hazard.
As would Raffia or any other non-flame retardant material.

As would Raffia or any other non-flame retardant material.
I suppose I could have said that too, I mostly meant to point out the hazard with most of the materials one might use. In case that hadn't entered into their discussion yet.

I suppose I could have said that too, I mostly meant to point out the hazard with most of the materials one might use. In case that hadn't entered into their discussion yet.
Yeah, just piling on. I think it's real important that folks remember the Flame treatment. It's something that get's over-looked a lot.

Yeah, just piling on. I think it's real important that folks remember the Flame treatment. It's something that get's over-looked a lot.
As I've seen with box sets built entirely of styrofoam in high school after high school.

Don't suppose you have access to a large vacu-form machine. I did these huts that way, using wedge-shaped panels.
IMG_1866.JPG
IMG_1849.JPG
IMG_1866.JPG
IMG_1849.JPG

We are producing Neil Simon's "Fools" this fall. The design calls for thatched roofs on various village structures, and I am looking for a (cheap) solution.

I saw a thatched roof in a theme park in China that was made from what looked like #10 aluminum wire that was painted to look the color of the grass / straw. This could add-up in weight if you have very much of it, but it was long-term durable. You could recycle all the aluminum when you are through with it.

Also, it only has to read like a thatched roof, it doesn't have to be a thatched roof. Consider fire retardant treated muslin over a stiff wire frame and then paint it.

I made a thatched roof out of natural-colored bamboo fencing from homedepot for only 24 bucks. I highly recommend that you cut it and that layer it.

BE SURE that you put a flame retardant on ALL natural fibers that you put on stage. This is especially true with HIGHLY flamable materials: Raffia, Bamboo, straw, etc.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/16172092962152685589?lsf=seller:8740,store:18221050113833015424&prds=oid:2164571659497018318&q=bamboo+fencing+home+depot&hl=en&ei=utGJWaj_BOG4jAOjm4P4Dw&mid=sln4etuZg%7Cdc_mtid_8903jx325196_pcrid_107016512728_pkw__pmt__product_203580820_slid_&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQjwwqXMBRCDARIsAD-AQ2hPjC3Zg0Anfyesl9bfFd955Ozq7A1Egz7O1coW_z2CwttJPJA4-9MaAkV8EALw_wcB

I made a thatched roof out of natural-colored bamboo fencing from homedepot for only 24 bucks. I highly recommend that you cut it and that layer it.

BE SURE that you put a flame retardant on ALL natural fibers that you put on stage. This is especially true with HIGHLY flamable materials: Raffia, Bamboo, straw, etc.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/16172092962152685589?lsf=seller:8740,store:18221050113833015424&prds=oid:2164571659497018318&q=bamboo+fencing+home+depot&hl=en&ei=utGJWaj_BOG4jAOjm4P4Dw&mid=sln4etuZg%7Cdc_mtid_8903jx325196_pcrid_107016512728_pkw__pmt__product_203580820_slid_&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQjwwqXMBRCDARIsAD-AQ2hPjC3Zg0Anfyesl9bfFd955Ozq7A1Egz7O1coW_z2CwttJPJA4-9MaAkV8EALw_wcB

Nice. Cheap and looks good! Got any pics from the production showing the finished product?

We have some huts that were built for Thanksgiving service and to get the thatched roof look we used sheets of 1 1/2" Styrofoam. Then dipped a paint brush in Acetone or MEK (MEK will give more pronounced grooves) and drug it across the foam. The acid eats into the foam and gives a nice effect. Can also do this to get a really nice wood grain effect if you cut some chunks out of the bristles to vary the depth.
2011e-11-23_08-01-07_905-1.jpg

A Heavy Wire brush drug across EPS foam will give you the same effect without the use of cancerous <MEK>, Toxic, and noxious chemicals. You will, however, have to clean up the foam dust

I love all that foam - clearly prohibited by fire codes. Toss in some working with MEKs and its even better. Anyone remember celastic? I was sick for days after making some fiberglass shields in the basement of a summer theatre. I'm still waiting to see if the stones I made of asbestos furnace cement 40+ years ago are what will eventually take me out. (At least those stones were not flammable!)

I saw a thatched roof in a theme park in China that was made from what looked like #10 aluminum wire that was painted to look the color of the grass / straw. This could add-up in weight if you have very much of it, but it was long-term durable. You could recycle all the aluminum when you are through with it.

Ah - ha! I found the pictures of the aluminum grass . . . here ya go.
P1020541.JPG
P1020542.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back