That's easy...(lol)

Dustincoc

Anyone ever get the feeling that directors, ect. think that all tech is easy? I spent half my day hanging/focusing an upcoming show only to have the set moved and have to go back extra early in the morning to refocus 24 lights out of 30, all of which can only be reached by ladder. The worst part is a friend of the directors wh stopped by and suggested moving the chairs keep saying how easy it would be to refocus.

The Best Part is they need to be refocused by 9:30 tomorrow morning so I can write q's with the board op then do a Q2Q at 12:30...

Last edited:
YES!!!!!

Oh man, talk to me about my highscool choreogapher/director some time. Actually, I'd rather not.

Anyone ever get the feeling that directors, ect. think that all tech is easy? I spent half my day hanging/focusing an upcoming show only to have the set moved and have to go back extra early in the morning to refocus 24 lights out of 30, all of which can only be reached by ladder. The worst part is a friend of the directors wh stopped by and suggested moving the chairs keep saying how easy it would be to refocus.
The Best Part is they need to be refocused by 9:30 tomorrow morning so I can write q's with the board op then do a Q2Q at 12:30...

This statement right here is why I need out of acadmeic theatre.

I am in an interesting position on this one. I am a LD but I am also a Director. I know exactly how long everything takes to do. Unfortunately this doesn't mean all my tech rehearsals go well.
When I am working as an LD or Board Op for other directors I still have the same problems you guys do and my understanding of the Directors job doesn't help because, lets face it, every director except me is a technical idiot. (Disclaimer: Except for all those directors I've worked with who aren't.)

................ lets face it, every director except me is a technical idiot. (Disclaimer: Except for all those directors I've worked with who aren't.)

Nice ! Very Politic, that. :twisted:

Hey as to the original post, What about the poor carps that have to move the whole set, before you can refocus?
We ran into an issue with Garden, two days before first preview I'm informed that the fire marshal might want us to remove almost half the set. Well ok more like 1/4 of the set but it would have affecte the whole SL side of the set. Someone said," Oh it'll be easy, It's just some platforming...." Yeah that and a lot of grass, trees, Vaccum form brick, Fake rock, and all the framing supports all the rest of the set behind it, but it should take too long to pul it out.......
Let's face it, Massive changes, especially during Tech Week, are unreasonable.

:oops:Oh Yeah ? Well.................... Music stands can be tricky to move, Uh......... Highly dangerous., Um................And stools Don't get me started about stools, those things are killers. :oops:

Chairs, not stools, The director wanted to change them to stools but another production is using them all...

:oops:Oh Yeah ? Well.................... Music stands can be tricky to move, Uh......... Highly dangerous., Um................And stools Don't get me started about stools, those things are killers. :oops:

Music stands and chairs... isn't that usually props dept?

Nah, I think thats only if you attach lights to them, like rope lights. MMMM, rope lights. With the dancing lights, changing back and forth, moving like little ants that glow.............

Changing lights distract me :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back