The 20s

Beyond this base of light concept, I would stray away from it with localized specials and even verge on glamor and rock and roll as the situation permits in telling the story for the modern audience as per the point of the play so as to make it lively and live. Say make the protagonist live in a pool of modern benevolent lighting and or make dance scenes become to a point of almost but not all the way there full blown modern lighting rock type lighting. Just holding off a few steps from going full intensity and effort in such lighting.

Hmm, been a few years, remember reading that play but I don’t remember it more than that. Still while I might attempt - and I do mean attempt in seeing what it looks like in your situation and given your fixtures attempt to do a base of light in the old foot light and boarder light with supplemental spots from the house and arcs from the high wings, for todays audience and given the play I would not go totally with that style - more just the essence of it which might help the period setting. Given such a base of light observable but not obtrusive - stuff like the green tint there but not more so say in amber/green than the more normal lighting/modern lighting with say also a pink or what ever tint also to the scene that helps. Harsh angles and shadows from the primary period lighting there but not obtrusive given the modern lighting blending and washing to help normalize, this much less the modern lighting helping covey the scene for a modern audience that gets the old lighting for conveying time but still expects certain aspects of visibility and normal natural lighting.

Tough balances but stuff I might attempt as a preliminary concept to start with in seeing where it went. Would be really cool if you could light box this on a model to find the balance before it went on stage.

Again, just a thought and a very difficult balance requiring extra fixtures - not persay period fixtures though they would help to bring out. Research if you have time period lighting design books in how stages were lit. Balance that with this is a modern presentation for a modern audience. Stage conventions that worked than won't work now. Supplement it and even help it in say in general if she is modern, perhaps portray her and her circumstance in a modern light with the rest about in an older style. But Subtility will be a key to a very large extent.

I like some of the ideas
For the thetaer... Bulbrite and a few other lamp companies make some fairly inexpensive reproduction incandescent lamps with really cool filaments. Perhaps stringing down from the gym grid some individual lamp sockets with period lamps in them could create quite the atmosphere.

What we are trying to do, or i am getting a plan ready to do is to create a 20s atmosphere in a high school gym. It is the Standard size gym, it has bleachers on both sides. So right now i am trying to make the house looks, or more really feel like it was a 20's theatre. What would be a good preshow music be?

Or something that i thought of i could look at the time it the production was first written. The production is in the 20's but i dont think it was written in the 20's.

Lighting the production is a whole other thread, i would love you guys help with that, but before i start working on the light for the production i need to have some meetings with the director/TD.

So far i have gotten some good ideas on what i should do. When we put up this production will post some picture of how it turned out.

Last edited:
Ok, here is what i have to work with for the whole production.

20 LED panels, I will look to see what type they are next time i go in.

30 Par 64 (1000w)Narrow, super Narrow, and wide lamps

4 Cyberlights CX

And then i have a few Lekos I think around 10. But they are rarely uses. On monday i will come back and edit this with more information about the lights and the exact number. We have some in off site storage

Yes, sorry to tell you, and I'm sure I'm not the first, but Grog--you're crazy. Las Vegas didn't legalize gambling until 1934, and didn't have showrooms or live shows until the Flamingo opened in 1949, so a book on Las Vegas history is not going to be helpful in any way. I'm not sure there exists such a thing as 1920's lighting. It was the "Roaring Twenties," flappers and bathtub gin and speakeasies and Machine Gun Kelly, but ended with the start of the Great Depression/Dust Bowl era. Costumes and Scenery will be much more useful in setting time and place than lighting, I would think.

Not quite what I meant....I was going with right now isn't there a 20's themed show....and if not...lets make one

Sometimes I think I specalise in the gym to >>> deal

SO here are some tips, Get you sell loads of Commando cloth
http://www.sewwhatinc.com/commando.php
I suggest for this, red (usually I use black to make the GYM disappear) but for the 20's look red will be best. Hang them along the sides of the gym to cover in front of the bleachers, so they are not seen. Typically your gym will have a truss roof, if you sew a pocket in the top of the strips, thread rope through it , and then tie the "drapes" up (you don't have to go all the way to the ceiling, just keep it dark and have the panels be about 15 feet or so high
[It is possible to get 10 foot widths or just use two of the single width. Then get your self some narrower white material, and hang it in strips every 15 feet or so to create a column effect, place a led par on the floor below the white strip, to light it up and be able to change color and dim. You can also add additional led lights to light up the red cloth Use this for the "house lights to You will then have a 20's era new york style theater type look for not a lot of money

Draping will not only make things look better but will help to reduce the horrible acoustics/ echo of the typical gym

Sharyn

early lighting as already mentioned was provided by floods, both footlights and overhead battens with a small number of spoltlights and fresnels, in Europe beam projectors were used. Check out strand archive for some examples of fixtures. Control was crude on/off switching with primitive dimmers. But the colour temperature of lights was only 2800 K also the intensity of lighting was significantly less than today. Even stages in the sixties and seventies would seem dark compared to todays stages. A thetrae I knew in the sixties had 36 dimmers, by the 70s it was 60 dimmers by the 90s it was over 300 dimmers. So you may want to think about intensity and keep it down and use lots of pink and amber filters.

ok, lots of ideas, Thanks guys for the help. I am alway open to more. When i do this production i will post some pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back