The art of programming 2

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
Panel discussion with Robert Bell, Vickie Claiborne, Demfis Fyssicopulos, Rob Halliday, Michael Nevitt, Jim Ohreberg, and Brad Schiller.

I'm writing during the session so it's going to be a bullet point outline.

Saving
First thing you do on a foreign console is save and load a backup. Don't spend all day programming only to learn it doesn't save.

Save with names that make sense to you. I.e. "tuesday lunch"

Save every half hour to external media. You as a programmer are responsible for the data.

Carry spare media. Portable hard drive or flash drive. Floppy.

Test backups on off line editor regularly.

Documentation
A lot of discussion about the importance of documenting a long running show that may have multiple board operators. When its programmed you then spend a day or two going through and mapping out each cue so that future operators can see what the lights do.

When is it okay for the programmer to stop the designer or hold up the show?
Your goal is to never stop things.

Always lay out the console in a logical way so that you can program quickly.
You want to reach the point that you don't have to think. Create a start show disk that lays out the console your way every time and always use it. It becomes muscle memory.

Tell the designer how long something is going to take to program.

Is it better to master one console or be proficient at many?
To start out you need to be very good at 3 or 4. Gradually you will find that you are getting really good on one. Hopefully you will get a lot of work get good and be able to specialize on one. Eventually you reach a level that you can choose the console you use.

Practice programming with an off line editor, Visualizer and your iPod. Try to think of harder scenarios that expand your bag of tricks.

Take advantage of training from manufacturers, distributors, even rental houses like PRG will make it available. Also look for training on you tube. Manufacturer's forums are great resources.

Go to see shows and watch other programmers. Then recreate it on your own system.

There us an interesting legal question on the horizon of who owns what part of a design. The show file is not the same as the plot. They can recreate a design but they can't reuse your show file without permission.

Never loose sight of the big picture. This isn't about you and your console. Its about the show.

Last edited:
Great Advice to all of us! I would humbly add,
Clear the console at the end of the tour. Keep the show with you.
Keep showfiles from past show in a database at home.
Delete all custom media you may have created off media servers
Make a tech page for every show laid out simply for your techs to test stuff.
Have kit to clean your console a few times a week, ie brush, cleaners ect.'
I carry a spare floppy drive and hard drive loaded with the software for the show in case of failure. (ever had to reinstall the OS on a GMA 1? UGH)
Spare VGA/cat5/usb. ect.
have fun, you should enjoy your work!

Axis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back