The Chamber of Secrets

I like the sound of the mirror and water effect but here's a dry way of doing it.
Get some aluminium foil, cooking foil will do at a pinch. Fasten it to the back of a curtain and bounce light off it. (I usually use a 4 or 6 inch fresnel) aim a small fan at it so it agitates. No free water on stage for actors or clumsy crew to trip over.
I was sitting in my lounge at Christmas and noticed sunlight playing off tinsel ropes on my Christmas tree which was moving gently in the breeze from the fan. Does the same but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

.................I was sitting in my lounge at Christmas and noticed sunlight playing off tinsel ropes on my Christmas tree which was moving gently in the breeze from the fan. .

Sunlight and fans at Christmas! I always forget how many Aussies and Kiwis there are on here, until a post like this comes along. Good idea.

An addition to the bubble machine trick. I usually mount the bubble machine to the truss and fly it over the dance floor, and put the low level fog machines on the floor. Another lighting guy in town suggested that I get one of those really cheap $20 fog machines, and try blowing the fog into the air intake for the fog machine. What happens is that the bubbles fall rather quickly, and when they pop they emit a little "ploof" of fog. (I know, "ploof" isn't a real word, but it describes the effect well). It works best if there is little fog in the room at the time, so it is more noticeable.

Who knew that a bubble machine could be so much fun?

I don't know if anyone has posted this before, but I am going to put this here and on the lighting board.

I have spent hours and hours recreating an effect of scene that I was sure had already been done, but couldn't find it anywhere. Apollo (gels, gobos, etc...) has a great resource on their website that tells you how to create effects with their lighting products, and then shows you a quicktime video of the effect in motion. It has everything from a sunrise to twinkling stars to a dancing mardi gras dancer.

The website is http://www.internetapollo.com/TechTalk/CreativeFx/

Great idea. A key ingredient in laundry detergent is phosphorescent. Try just taking a plastic bag of laundry detergent with you the next time you play with black light. It's very cool stuff. I'm sure there are many potential uses for dry laundry detergent in a set flooded with black light. Also it would be interesting to experiment with not properly rinsing clothing so that it dries saturated with the stuff... might not work, might make your skin turn blue and itch. What about washing a drop in detergent, not rinsing it and then hanging it. It also might get all blotchy when the detergent dries... there are some possibilities there, don't exactly know what.

will this work with crystal (powder) laundry detergent???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back