Vintage Lighting The first Fresnel - think I have one version now

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Looked into the website, Derek and others - you are doing wonderful work in all ways for research and interviews. The post about Display Stage Lighting in searching for past posts about my last screw based Fresnel I worked on in topic of Leko invention, reminds me of my own research for Nook for a past PLSN article on the rock and roll PAR can. Wow and I should add in my own notes on history even if 60's technology and 30's era pattents. Excellent research done and links to those that did what in the industry. Hope links are presented below as this is interesting and formative history on stage lighting.

None the less, while working on Cyber 2.0 orniments, tonight I found time to work on another got for me. (Who the heck is bidding against me for anchient lights on E-Bay... I'm working on a museum here in stuff collected.)

Oldest Fresnel ever seen yet.

Have this Display Stage Lighting Fresnel that’s similar to one I already have but seemingly older. Bought it for like ten bucks plus shipping but it also came with original stand and a working 500w medium screw T-20 Radiant lamp. (Can’t imagine how much it’s worth on Don’s Bulbs.) Not the original lamp I think, but one that does seem to bench focus with it and is a very rare lamp.

Both in collection are similar in medium screw based fixtures with a more or less round signature to them and rounded yokes. A flare up at the top to vent the heat, but no box shape at the bottom for the larger sockets/lamps in use for more modern bi-pin or medium pre-focus lamps that were circa say1934 thru1936 for a start in leaning on the latter for date and initially interchangeable in which was more popular between the P-28s and G-38 socket - the bi-pin socket perhaps going towards higher wattage lamps as they were invented during the period..

TBA reminder to myself - get the serial number if any off the owner’s c.1936 #2046 8” Fresnel and send it into Mole - they have in the past been able to tell the manufacturing date. This has the Bi-pin Fresnel lamp, though it’s a 2Kw G-48 Mog. Bi-post version I wouldn’t expect was invented until the mid-1930's.

Both Display Stage Lighting fixtures are using Nylock hex screws for yoke, and for retaining the reflector as a nut. Ibid on a long past discussion on the invention of the hex nut. Still though possible in both cases from separate sources, when was a Nylock nut invented? Replaced hardware? EIn the case of this fixture for what was used, it was 5/16-28 screws with a standoff and cut away 5/16" bellevelle washer on the knob side, and just a washer and the same nylock nut on the other. Tight fit but too oversized to allow for a 1/4" fitting of the screw. Perhaps a focus knob in both instances that broke and were replaced with nylock bolts, on the other hand, perhaps nylon inserted lock hex nuts were around back in a 1928-1936 period.

Both similar in stuff to now. Both I believe (until I climb a ladder in inspecting) were using a single hole in the rear and two conductor asbestos coated two conductor non-grounded cord coming out the back. Similar texture paint also. Difference between the fixtures is that the one I’m currently working on is a little more textured in finish, and both were using similar mounting hardware. This one don’t have name plate mounting holes on it’s heat shield top. No name brand other than on it’s lens. The other one says it’s brand - though a chance in Giraffe Lighting buying Display Stage Lighting fixtures and putting their own name plate on them... My original fixture could be either brand - though I remember the brand of fixture stamped into the lens. This means that Display Stage Lighting say in the Mid-30's started stamping an unknown to exist name plate to their fixtures. One would suppose given another company Giraffe Lighting with an exact match for it, that would be a good idea. (Once found that brand on E-Bay and curse myself not buying it. Was missing all gizzards and lens but had that rivited name plate thus very important.) On the other hand, given the clips retaining really old Fresnel lenses, I believe I understand why at one side of the lens there is a cut away part to it. (Different post and different concept.)

This Fresnel doesn’t have holes for a name plate on it so is different and perhaps older than the initial one I have.

So given the lack of name plate as seen on my other one by way of rivet holes atop it as similar to the one I saw on the Giraffe Lighting version, but with Display Stage Lighting lens. This persay is one of that brand but older, the other could be either brand assuming Giraffe bought lenses from Display as possible, or Display later put name plates on it which was in later years removed. Current fixture has no such holes for name plate.

Next differences are that this medium screw lamp socket was cemented tight with I think factory injected porcelain cementing so as to hold it closed. That I believe so as to in bad attempt for engineering, make a way to focus the medium screw lamp. The medium screw filament lamp of the day - even if up to 400w at that point was very much vendor random by lot and not great for how it focused given the screwing in part of doing so. This is the first case of a non-science experiment like post mounting that didn’t feature the lamp socket directly screwed into the slide mechanism.

This fixture instead has a pound rivet swivel plate that the covered cleat style medium screw lampholder H&H of brand who ever they were, was allowed to swivel on. Normal parallel surface wiring lampholder only on a swivel plate and porcelain injected into it. I say injected because it got fed into places slapping it on wouldn’t get to including the lamp’s screw thread. First case of a screw base that I know of that has both porcelain injected into it, and works on a pivot pound rivet mount.

Anyway, “Encyclopedia of Stage Lighting” references Fresnels to the late 1920's and my 1929 Fuch’s “Stage Lighting” doesn’t list the existence of a Fresnel Fixture but it is a London publishing. Final e-mail question to the CEO of Times Square Lighting in him claiming that his company now is the oldest currently existing lighting company in the US was what about Display Stage Lighting. Believe they still exist (though to what form of it like Strand is of question), but he was not welcome to such a question in answering the history about another company. Display Stage Lighting, are they older than Times Square and or still the same company - even if no longer producing stage lighting gear?

More important, assuming Display Stage Lighting was not the first to invent the Fresnel light - possible but I don’t think so, who did so and what specific year did it come out? These are clearly different than PC fixtures of the times with a persay added Fresnel lens - they were designed to be Fresnel I believe and are clearly the forerunner to any modern Fresnel.

P.S. to this is also that the reflector isn’t the Alzark aluminum process that by 1929 was well in use of, but perhaps Display lagged a year or two in the use of. Instead it’s a steel reflector that has it’s reflector surface silvered and is even wearing away in some places. The rest of it is matt and rolled over edge steel. That with spot welding etc. Very early Fresnel to date. Also as opposed to multiple holes for the various asbestos cords to get out, this was a single hole with two conductors of asbestos within a rayon outer jacket cord that led to a ETC brand round cord type cord mount switch for on/off. Not the current ETC brand I think, but a brand in use at the time. Obviously the Kliegl 1926 and 1929 catalogues were of no help for info in checking them.

Attachments

• old fresnel 012.jpg
    old fresnel 012.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 731
  • old fresnel 013.jpg
    old fresnel 013.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 580
  • old fresnel 015.jpg
    old fresnel 015.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 611
  • old fresnel 016.jpg
    old fresnel 016.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 508
  • old fresnel 017.jpg
    old fresnel 017.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 706
Last edited:
[Edit by Mod.: This and subsequent posts moved here from another location.]
Hi,
First post for me. I'm interested in antique lighting and was wondering if anyone could help me identify this old stage spotlight. It belonged to my dad, an accomplished amateur photographer, who was born in 1902 and passed away in 1982. It's very old, probably from the 1930's, judging from the cloth-covered power cord. The bulb is a Mazda 500W projection bulb, with Edison base.
proxy.php

There are no identifying marks or labels on this spotlight. But it looks like the maker may have been inspired by the old Kliegl spotlights, for example this one:
http://ergoiamtoo.com/store/accent-lamp-vintage-kliegl-spotlight

Can anyone help me?
Thanks
John
Palm Bay

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say @AudJ nailed it.

display_photospot.jpg

Anecdote about Display Stage Lighting, that I think came from Sonny Sonnenfeld via @STEVETERRY :
In the early 1930s [Edit: 1929 actually], when the brothers Levy were deciding on a name for their company, they chose Century specifically so it would come before Display in the phone book.
It seemed to have worked out.

@derekleffew
> I'd say @AudJ nailed it.

Yes, exactly. Apparently the old 'Fresnel Photospot' label fell off of Dad's spotlight.

It has been sitting in a storage shed for the past 30 years or so. The wiring is still intact and the 500W bulb appears to be OK. But I'm not going to fire it up because the cloth-covered power cord could be flaky. [Well, I might try it with an LED bulb, which only draws a few watts. :-]

Because of the cloth wiring I originally thought this light must have been made in the 1930's, because neoprene widely replaced cloth starting in the early 1940's. Also I found a few googled references to 'Fresnel Photospot' as a 'vintage 1930's spotlight'.

But, looking at the ads in Popular Photography, it seems this light wasn't marketed until 1946, at least to photographers. The earliest ad ran in Feb 1946, and ran until 1951:
proxy.php

Do any of you guys have any earlier dating of this device?

And many thanks for helping me track its identity.

John in Palm Bay

... the covered cleat style medium screw lampholder H&H of brand who ever they were, ...
@ship: RE: your fresnel. The H&H socket was made by Hart & Hegeman which became Arrow-H&H, then Arrow Hart, which is now part of (I think) Cooper Industries or Eaton. It appears that the lamp in your example had a C-13 filament (all coils arranged in a plane) which is surprising for a screw-based lamp, as one never knew when the filament plane was parallel to the reflector and lens. Typically we used a 250 W or 400 W G-30 lamps in babies with screw bases. The filament coils in these were arranged in a barrel shape and it didn't matter which way the lamp ended up in the fixture. Reflectors: We had many 2 kW fresnels and PCs with chromed steel reflectors--had to get them re-plated every few years when the plating either burned off or was polished off.

So given I have I think a Dispay Stage Lighting fixture also without name plate, but it has the same top rivet holes of a Giraffe Lighting fixture I saw on E-Bay (and curse myself for not buying,) but also seemingly that of this name plate is the same to the above photo - thanks, I have never seen it before. Who was first in brand, and are these the first Fresnels? I hear 1934 and 1928 in history text books - but no original texts on when invented and by who.

On my Fresnel... who knows when Its lamp was changed and or with what. Way cool observations onto the base, I can verify if this is helpful into "First Fresnel" info.

Believe historic lights and antiques in general, we also run into the Hub problem as a general concept. I have seen this Fresnel listed into the 60's for catalogues from various vendors, even though most of the industry already switched to the more classic design of the Fresnel by than. Same concept of old Leko's and even Altman 360 series made later than their invention. Other companies were buying the old design... say my thought to be like 1939 Century II generation of the Leko, also now sold in the 60's by Hub. More detail if wanted later and or how to identify.

@ship
> ... Who was first in brand, and are these the first Fresnels? ...

I've being doing some research on this. The first Fresnel lenses (invented by A. Fresnel in 1823) were purposed for improving the illumination of lighthouses. These were big lenses of course, because their light had to be visible from 20 miles, or more, away. (There was a lighthouse in Hawaii, with a Fresnel lens 12 feet in diameter)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_lens

Most of these early Fresnel lenses were made in Europe, cut and ground from optical glass, which originally could not be made in very large quantities. A couple of American glass makers developed some high quality Fresnel cut-glass lenses in the late 19th and early 20th century, but in general found it hard to compete with the Europeans.
http://uslhs.org/american-made-fresnel-lenses-0

One of these American companies was the Brooklyn Flint Glass Company (who later moved to Corning, NY and became the Corning Glass Works). They made some lighthouse lenses and also produced smaller ones under contract for the Kliegl brothers, who claim to have made the first Fresnel stage spotlight in 1929, according to their 1969 catalog, at least. It's not mentioned in their abbreviated 1929 catalog.
http://www.klieglbros.com/catalogs/catalogs.htm

http://www.klieglbros.com/fluf.htm
FIRST - FRESNEL LENS SPOTLIGHT - (c 1920)

The modern fresnel spotlight is one of the most basic tools used by lighting designers for spot-lighting applications. The fresnel spotlight, in its simplest form consists of a housing, a light source and a 'fresnel' lens. When the source is moved slightly towards (or away) from the lens, the size of the light beam changes, from spot focus to flood focus. Early fresnel type lighting fixtures would have included, gas, oil, electric arc and other sources, and were commonly used as lighthouse type fixtures, able to project a narrow concentrated beam, a great distance. The modern fresnel lighting fixture uses either a tungsten halogen or a discharge type of lamp. Fresnel fixtures are available in lens diameters of 3 inches to 36 inches or more. The typical stage and studio fresnel has a lens diameter of 6, 8 or 10 inches. Today, the fresnel with its adjustable beam size is invaluable for area lighting and color wash applications. The fresnel fixture produces a 'round'
beam with an intense 'hot' center and a 'soft', yet defined edge. Fresnel fixtures come in wattages of 150 to 10,000 watts and have adjustable beam spreads of from 10 to 60 degrees.
The fresnel lens and the early fresnel fixture was developed by and named for, [AUGUSTIN JEAN FRESNEL], (1788 - 1827).

[KLIEGL BROTHERS] (in a 1969 catalog) claims the incorporation of a fresnel lens into a theatrical lighting fixture, in 1929.

> ... I have I think a Display Stage Lighting fixture also without name plate, ...

My Fresnel Photospot, above, was also missing a name plate, but after disassembling and cleaning it, I found the Display Stage Lighting identification along the outer rim of the lens: "6 FRESNEL PHOTOSPOT LENS DISPLAY STAGE LIGHTING COMPANY, NEW YORK, N.Y." [So I had all the information that I needed to identify it inside the light!]

The remarkable thing about this lens is that it is made from common pressed glass. I.e. molten glass is poured into a mold and, voila, a lens pops out. No cutting, grinding or expensive optical-grade glass required. So these lenses could be made very cheaply in mass production. Same technique used to made glass dinnerware, ashtrays and other common household glassware. Could have been made by Corning. But other glass companies, e.g. Hazel-Atlas, a giant household glass maker, could have made them easily too.

I believe all of these rather inexpensive "Fresnel Photospot" lights were made after WW2, starting around 1946, by a small photography accessory company which somehow acquired the very prestigious name "Display Stage Lighting Company", which was a pioneer in stage lighting in the 1920's. Founded by "William Edison Price", who was a brilliant entrepreneur, stage lighting expert and holder of many patents on electric stage lights. His real name was Isaac Preis, son of Jewish Russian parents. His company foundered after his untimely death in 1927 and went bankrupt in 1932. (The Great Depression of 1929 also hastened its demise).
https://books.google.com/books?id=cZJ2evtw7HAC&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq="display+stage+lighting+company"+price&source=bl&ots=KcxnjpFj2t&sig=DV8XOflQ5nyeYPdTRcuG1cVBJPk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAys7A9frPAhVHJiYKHRs1At4Q6AEILDAD#v=onepage&q="display stage lighting company" price&f=false

So the company that apparently acquired the DSL name in 1946, I believe, was primarily set up to sell spotlights to professional and amateur photographers (like my father). Theatrical lights? not so much I'm guessing.

In fact, the true "stage lighting" successor to DSL was Price's son Edison Price, who started "Edison Price Lighting" in 1952, who are still in business. http://www.epl.com/founder/

HTH,
John in Palm Bay

Last edited:
I'm beginning to have some doubts about the claim at klieglbros.com, that they produced the first Fresnel spotlights in 1929, because none of their old catalogs back up that claim. In fact the first catalog which lists Fresnel spotlights is their 1950 catalog on page 27:
proxy.php

The only other image I could find of a Kliegl Fresnel spotlight was this pair of "No. 22" lamps manufactured in 1950:
https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/l...-22-new-york-fresnel-spot-light/id-f_4374283/

Does anyone have any earlier references to Fresnel spotlights, prior to 1950?

If not, then perhaps @ship is correct in asserting that our DSL Fresnel Photospots may be oldest "stage-light" Fresnels around, only dating back to 1946. Feature for feature the DSL lamps are identical to the 6" Fresnel 43N6-A shown in the catalog above, even down to the Alzak reflector on a sliding carriage.

In any case, I wanted to know how well these old Fresnel spots compared to the conventional plano-convex spotlights. Luckily, my Dad also owned a 4-1/2" plano-convex Sun-Ray, powered by a GE 250-watt photoflood bulb ("max lifetime three hours"), dating from the same era.

I was scared to run the original high power lamps because of the old wiring, so used a 300-lumen LED bulb with Edison base, drawing less than 5 watts of power.
I didn't expect the 4-1/2" Solar-Ray to be brighter than the 6" DSL lamp, but just wanted to see how each focused the light presented to the lenses. So I set them both to the smallest spot, with the carriages drawn back to the rear.

As you can see the DSL Fresnel Photospot focuses the light in a much small spot than the plano-convex lamp.

Remember not just Display Stage Lighting but also Giraffe (anyone ever hear of them before - I did specifically see a name plate on a light from them on E-Bay for this design of light.) I note as "possibly" the first 6" Fresnel. And one if doing a term paper should ask authors of more modern books on like "Encycipeada of Stage Lighting" or in general stage lighting books and history as to when they got their date for a Fresnel fixture introduced to the theater. Believe I hear 1928, 1932, and believe I researched 1934 for the first box spot "upgrade" to Fresnel by way of Kopp Glass - another research venue.

Believe this question is all very good topic for a MFA or better topic thesis for someone at school. When and what was the first Fresnel??? Trip to ETC. Where I work, Penn State, and lots of other places and research.

The 'Giraffe' spotlight was manufactured by DSL and introduced in this April 1946 issue of Popular Photography as a successor to their 'Fresnel Photospot':
https://books.google.com/books?id=wWMzAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA102&lpg=PA102&dq=giraffe+fresnel+stage+spotlight&source=bl&ots=reYZnaMcnd&sig=Ugmb7RUGS-H01Ny6l3Vnj9wE90E&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjejYS4oP3PAhXCSyYKHQxkBwMQ6AEIUTAL#v=onepage&q=giraffe fresnel stage spotlight&f=false

I'm guessing that it employed some kind of self-contained ESR gadget, apparently pictured in the lower left corner of the ad. Price was $60, four times the price of their Fresnel unit! (That's probably why my Dad didn't buy a Giraffe. That would have been about a month's pay for a journeyman photoengraver in those days).

I think you're right about the research on Fresnel lighting. Citations from Joel Rubin's 1960 PhD thesis and other sources on the history of stage lighting imply that Fresnel spotlights (similar to the DSL Photospot) were widely used in the 1930's (and maybe introduced by the Kliegl Bros).

But it's just peculiar that the catalogs on the klieglbros.com website don't seem to show any in their pre-1950 catalogs. Also I couldn't find any images of 1930's Fresnel spotlights on my Google searches.

Maybe it's there and I just missed it. :-|

Last edited:
@derekleffew
> ... the Fresnel has always played second fiddle to the ellipsoidal reflector spotlight. ...

I noticed that the "No. 22" Kliegl Fresnel spotlight (from image at 1stdibs.com in my post above) seemed to have a specialized incandescent lamp, fixed right at the focal point of the reflector element.

I am correct in saying that this is a kind of "ellipsoidal reflector spotlight" ("ERS")? If so, wouldn't this be the "best of both worlds"?

Thanks,
John in Palm Bay

I noticed that the "No. 22" Kliegl Fresnel spotlight (from image at 1stdibs.com in my post above) seemed to have a specialized incandescent lamp, fixed right at the focal point of the reflector element.

I am correct in saying that this is a kind of "ellipsoidal reflector spotlight" ("ERS")? If so, wouldn't this be the "best of both worlds"?
Oh, dear. Where to begin...

While the No. 22 Fresnel is a spotlight that has an ellipsoidal reflector, it IS NOT an ellipsoidal reflector spotlight !
Why? Because the luminaire doesn't exhibit enough of the characteristics of an ERS, i.e., hard edge, framing shutters, gobo capability, etc.. (An LED PAR rarely if ever has a Parabolic Aluminized Reflector, either.) MAC2000, VL4K, Super Trouper, et al use ellipsoidal reflectors, but aren't considered ERS s.

Further, the No. 22 is a lousy Fresnel! In the 1960s, the first Tungsten-Halogen lamps were double ended, and many/all manufacturers tried to adapt their ERS and Fresnel designs to use the newfangled lamps. It didn't work well for either type of light. A fresnel needs a spherical reflector, with a planar filament at its focus.

proxy.php

The size of the beam can be changed by moving the lens toward or away from the lamp and reflector, but it's easier to keep the lens stationary and move the lamp and reflector keeping their relationship constant, on a sled for "Spot--Flood" focus.

So, the double-ended lamp with the wrong filament shape, the wrong shape reflector for the lens, and with two holes in it, makes for anything but a "best of both worlds" situation. Nice try though.
-----
The only other image I could find of a Kliegl Fresnel spotlight was this pair of "No. 22" lamps manufactured in 1950:
https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/l...-22-new-york-fresnel-spot-light/id-f_4374283/
Sad to say, not everything on the Interwebs is true, particularly on an auction site.
1. No.22 is the IBEW Union Shop number, not a catalog number.
2. The units were manufactured in the late 1960s/1970s.
3. "has original 220 wiring" The units are 120 volts.
4. I'm not positive what's pictured is in fact an ellipsoidal reflector. It may be spherical; with such a small portion it's hard to tell for sure.
5. The Kliegl Bros. archive is lacking in years 1965-1978 where these light should be; I don't have a model number. Possibly 3518: http://www.bibbteck.com/kliegl-fresnel-lighting-instrumentmodel-3518 . Socket and reflector slightly different however. @ship, do you have any RSC socketed Fresnels? Altman made a 65Q version until the 1980s, IIRC. It sucked just as bad, if not moreso, as the Kliegls.

I have a good amount of 8" RSC based Fresnels, even one 6" restored that I once did the Altman 65Q upgrade to, than found and made the parts to for re historicing it back to how I found it. Even have some 8" Fresnels that are in example both the same fixture but one the tungsten version and one the halogen RSC version. Even a lot of the Kliegl RSC Leko's and one of and access to lots more of the "first" Quartz Colortran Lekos. These were the first Halogen Leko's.

Last edited:
By the way, such dual ended lamp fixtures don't persay suck - especially in the Leko. I have gotten flat field out of my Kliegls and Fresnels. Never seen a RSC Altman before. Great fixtures for lower wattage - like 150 or less I think down to 50. Lamp sockets in that style of lamp suck in general - construction work lights are the only fixtures still using that socket for the most part. There was a lot of work done in re-design of the Leko for making such "Halogen" fixtures at the time as the replacement of tungsten lamp. Been around 30 years (since the Leko was invented) before any really major changes to the Leko and Fresnel had been made before the RSC lamp. Lots of upgrade kits to this RSC lamp on sale also for the fixtures - must have been a useful upgrade. Tungsten lamps had larger tube/hole cuts out of the reflector fixtures to fit the lamp, these halogen lamp were much smaller and brighter. RSC base sucked & the lamp had limited wattage but only after a while on the market in knowing so. Wasn't until the single ended version of a halogen lamp got developed - as retrofit to the tungsten lamps, that progress could be made on the Axial fixture. But still, the RSC had better color temperature, could last longer or have more output. RSC is the base for PAR and single ended lamps, it came first but was replaced by better ways of using the capsule once the lead in/support wire was developed.

Also have a Century #1480. Radial Leko with knockouts and ability to do EGE lamp as it will have been in the same design, but in this case it's a radial fixture with a EHD bi-pin base and lamp factory made. Its some form of last generation of radial Leko, but using the smaller globe halogen bi-pin lamp axial Leko's started using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back