The future of scenic construction?

I immediately distrust any company that prominently uses the word "maker".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously it will come down to a lot of specifics and price, but I could see that being great for a shop that can't justify the cost or space of a full-scale cnc, but sometimes has to do precise profile cutting. We cut out letters now and then for corporate gigs, and you really can't get the precision by hand. For mass production, you could use this to make a template to duplicate with a standard, higher-power router. I actually signed up for the email list, which may be a first for me.

I think the real thing to consider is whether or not you actually need the precision it offers. Many woodworkers on youtube have made gears out of non-metals (plastic, wood, mdf) and they work just fine. Do you need to spend $$$$ on a tool for a gear that meshes just a little bit better than a handout gear? I'm sure the tool has other awesome applications that I'm not thinking of, but justifying its inevitable 4 figure price tag might be difficult for a scene shop.

Depends on what you're making. It would be great for something like this, which I sent out to CNC. I do that a few times a year, sometimes with a four-figure price tag.

proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back