Vintage Lighting The Heck is this and can/should I use it for the Magic Lantern restoration?

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/finally-got-a-magic-lantern.46865/#post-412007 to the past thread.
Found this part on a props counter at the theater - someone had been cleaning somewhere and saved it from the trash. Parts are squirreled away at random all over the complex like they never thru anything out... including an entire sub-basement room full of used toilets. Only missing one lamp cap to a 12" Hub Leko at this point (Has two 1/4 turn mounting knobs if anyone has one laying about), just about all other parts to gear missing parts found.

Seemingly all parts to this gas/electric T-Fitting are original and 1924 or before. Some rare very unsafe form of emergency lighting? On/Off turn knob for the gas fitting is broken off.

I’m not familiar with the gas fitting - its brittle, and not similar to the gas fittings on stage which are barbed.

Not found also is the original burner mechanism parts to the bastardized Magic Lantern found with a cage light lamp base just dangling inside the barbaric heavily modified fixture. Only the top and front ½ of the original chromed parts are left on it (gonna be a lot of work.)

I have experience with carbon arc, Incandescent, xenon, kerosene dark room lights, and HMI, but no experience with a gas light fixture. Anyone ever service a Magic Lantern before, or work on a Acetylene gas lighting fixture before?

Gas light parts are hard to find, would it be a “sin” to use these parts in somehow inventing the mechanisms? Believe I have some books detailing the workings of this type of light, but no experience with such a thing.

Still yet to find the theater’s acetylene tank, my boss says it will have been gravity fed - I have my doubts about that. Hard to trace down what’s gas line verses pneumatic tubing for the various organs, or steam heat control tubing. I believe the J.B. Colt & Co. Patient April 4 1893... Magic Lantern was acetylene - though it lacks a vent tower hood normal to other gas burner Magic lanterns. Heat damage inside and outside the top vent hood also does not seem consistent with the heat of a tight burner flame source..... yet the date on the other parts of the fixture are 1893 say gas, as with the gas fittings on stage.

Attachments

• 20201208_174158 (2).jpg
    20201208_174158 (2).jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 20201208_174111 (2).jpg
    20201208_174111 (2).jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 172

Users who are viewing this thread

Back