The Matchmaker-the three problems...

Anonymous067

The three big problems I encountered during tech week for this show...

1) We changed track numbers for our effects cds, and (as a tangent), have one of those non-dj style cd players that continues on with the next track if you forget to push "stop". So, my order was to go "Scene change music"-track 2-3, then "Garden music"-track 2-1 (2-X where two represents cd number). Had everything cued up to track three...unfortunately...forgot to change the cd after intermission. Now i have a huge piece of orange tape on my script that says "change cd".

2) The revolve last night...

First show-opening night.
We are using a revolve this year in our play, and going into act two, for whatever reason, the revolve got rotated a full 360 degrees....I still don't know how this happened.
Lights came up, quickly shut back off and we re-rotated).

3) Intermission. After act two, we had scene change music, revolve, and then some set lights and house lights came up. We all got the call over headset "15 minute intermission". We all sign off headset and start leaving the booth, when we notice every patron at the show is staring blankly at the set. Our intermission music is in our lobby only, which evidently then couldn't hear any of it bleeding into the house. We all stood in the booth for three minutes snickering before I got on the talkback mic and said "We will now take a 15 minute intermission".

Generally, when we use a revolve we have it rotate in one direction only, and that way we disable it from being about to turn more than 180 degrees. If you can't turn it more than 180 degrees, problem #2 doesn't happen. It also helps if you have lights that you don't want to tangle the cords of, because it's only being rotated in one direction back and forth as opposed to around several times.

Well, we do rotate one direction for all rotations, not back and forth. Our TD says it would take more force to keep switching the direction as opposed to just going one direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back