The NEW NNHS, first year report.

I meant Rota-Lock, most people don't know the difference so I just used the generic cheeseborough name. Already have a 5/8" Rope loft block up there with 75' of nylon rope for lifting fixtures up and down :)

So I take this back...we will be using cheeseboros...apparently cheeseboros are less expensive than Rota-Lock's from our supplier...which is REALLY weird. A black 90 degree cheeseboro from Peak Trading was $15 each while they wanted $25 each for Rota-Locks. Crazy I know, buy they work so we will use them. We are about halfway done finishing the wall, got a couple horizontal pipes up as well as 3 of the verticals, hopefully we can finish it sometime next week when the rest of the cheeseboros come in.

Update! Almost completely finished, only need 4 more cheeseboro's to put up the last two bars. They are on their way, started hanging lights in the meantime. :) Definitely way more space now then we had before!

Most of the bars up and secured.
proxy.php

A small portion of our inventory hanging out.
proxy.php

You can see a little bit of our color coding system that we have. I saw this done at Trinity Repertory Co. and I liked it so much that I brought it here. Each lens tube gets the bottom tip coated with a certain color of spray paint.

Red = 50°
Blue = 36°
Yellow = 26°
No Paint = 19°

We do not paint our 10°, 14° or 70° since they look so different from everything else that it is not needed.

This allows us to quickly identify each fixture and what degree it is without thinking and having to examine the lens barrels for numbers or lens position. This speeds up hanging and striking fixtures as well as identifying fixtures on the plot easily in a crowded grid from the floor in the Little Theatre where grid access is not possible without a ladder or genie. It also helps keep fixtures sorted and easy to grab on the floor or in storage so people are less likely to just throw lights in piles when they know where they should go just by looking.

Last edited:
Red = 50°
Blue = 36°
Yellow = 26°
No Paint = 19°

I realize that A) it's too late, and B) we have had many ongoing discusisons on this topic on CB. However, I am a fir believer that when color coding units, a 36˚ should have no paint as the 36˚ (or 6x9) when drawn on a plot has no hatch marks (ie. drawn as an open unit with no additional lines for degree marks).

I realize that A) it's too late, and B) we have had many ongoing discusisons on this topic on CB. However, I am a fir believer that when color coding units, a 36˚ should have no paint as the 36˚ (or 6x9) when drawn on a plot has no hatch marks (ie. drawn as an open unit with no additional lines for degree marks).

The only issue with that is when you have outside units in everyone will assume they are 36 degrees.

The only issue with that is when you have outside units in everyone will assume they are 36 degrees.

Well if you have outside units in an any of your house fixtures don't get painted you would have the same confusion.

Well if you have outside units in an any of your house fixtures don't get painted you would have the same confusion.

That is why we paint everything. Also makes it much easier to run through the rig and rip out stuff that is not yours. We work in a hard rep situation so its nice to be able to walk through the entire rig and see that every barrel matches every yoke which matches the tag on the raceway. To each their own. All I know is that I wish ETC marked more then one corner of their fixtures. Whats an extra sticker or two? Always bothered me. Then again, they did better then strand/century who put the label on the barrel so you can only see it when the barrel is ran out!

I wish the barrels had the degrees on more then two sides. I always seem to have it in the wrong direction and can't tell from the cats what the fixture is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is why we paint everything. Also makes it much easier to run through the rig and rip out stuff that is not yours. We work in a hard rep situation so its nice to be able to walk through the entire rig and see that every barrel matches every yoke which matches the tag on the raceway. To each their own. All I know is that I wish ETC marked more then one corner of their fixtures. Whats an extra sticker or two? Always bothered me. Then again, they did better then strand/century who put the label on the barrel so you can only see it when the barrel is ran out!

I would agree with you, I would have painted everything but at the time I only had 3 colors of high temperature enamel spray paint on us when we did it. Hasn't been a real priority to paint the rest of them at the moment. That and we have so many fixtures...we don't rent conventional fixtures. Also when we do rent anything we rent from ALPS who conveniently sprays a corner or two of all their gear bright red. It makes all of their gear easy to spot.

Also, if anyone wants, our technical specifications packet is finally up on the web as well as our rep plot and blank Vectorworks plots. Theatre Ink : Newton North's Teaching and Working Theatre

I would agree with you, I would have painted everything but at the time I only had 3 colors of high temperature enamel spray paint on us when we did it. Hasn't been a real priority to paint the rest of them at the moment. That and we have so many fixtures...we don't rent conventional fixtures. Also when we do rent anything we rent from ALPS who conveniently sprays a corner or two of all their gear bright red. It makes all of their gear easy to spot.

Also, if anyone wants, our technical specifications packet is finally up on the web as well as our rep plot and blank Vectorworks plots. Theatre Ink : Newton North's Teaching and Working Theatre

I've always just used paint pen. Never had an issue.

I've always just used paint pen. Never had an issue.

Also didn't have any on hand, other than my personal ones, of which I only have Black and Silver. We already had the Yellow, Red and Blue enamel on hand, the enamel looks nice and is highly visible which I like. I cut a rectangle into a piece of chip board and used it as a template for the painting. It went pretty quickly and without much mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back