The New Used/Old Light Board I just Bought

JimP0771

Hi all here is a picture of the new uset/old light board I just bought online. It is a Colortran Status 24/48. I do have another one of these as well that says Lee Colortran Status 24/48 on it but that one has some issues with the cross faders and is starting to show some other issues when it comes to programing and keeping it's programing so I just bought the one that is in this picture. Unfortantly I do not get to use it at this time due to the COVID but lets hope that all ends and I can get to using it.
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 8.53.17 PM.png

I guess you are aware that memory is retained thru the use of an internal lithium coin-cell battery which needs to be replaced periodically? There is also a procedure to reset the microprocessor and restore the console to default operation which often clears up strange operational issues. "When all else fails, consult the manual".

I guess you are aware that memory is retained thru the use of an internal lithium coin-cell battery which needs to be replaced periodically? There is also a procedure to reset the microprocessor and restore the console to default operation which often clears up strange operational issues. "When all else fails, consult the manual".

Yes I do know about the battery. However the other board I own which is the same model as this one pictured was not treated well by it's previous owner and was in a very dusty filled environment. It is also missing fade knobs and the cross fade are literately broken do not move the or do do anything in either multi scene. Also the black out button does not work. That is why I have purchased the new used board you see pictured above. It had some labels on it from its prior owner one on the side looks like it came from some TV studio or something like that. I did test it wit a small 4 Chanel dimmer Pack I have and everything seems to work on the board pictured above so lets hope I get a chance to use it soon.

Sorry folks if my last post does not make sense I am half asleep posting it. No Idea why I woke up and am posting a response in the middle of the night. Take care stay healthy all.

Sorry folks if my last post does not make sense I am half asleep posting it. No Idea why I woke up and am posting a response in the middle of the night. Take care stay healthy all.
Waking up in the middle of the night and sleep posting?

Welcome to the club. Maturing's OK, survivable, and perfectly normal: NEVER grow old, there's little to recommend it.
Wait 'til your prescribed diuretics, at that point waking and posting in the midst of your nights is a preferred alternative.
Don't ask me how I know.
Toodleoo!
Ron (zz zz zzZ ZZZ. . . . ) Hebbard

Wow the board looks very clean, like it was never used much. In one of my previous lives, I had to maintain a Status console. It would, on a rare occasion, glitch so that the crossfaders would fail to work correctly. The only way I could restore it was to do a deep clear by holding the clear button down and powering the console on. This cleared everything and set the output to CMX mode. The console would work normally again after setting it back to DMX in the menus.

I think we’ve all been there before. For some reason for the past three weeks I’ve had at least one night per week where I’ve stayed up all night for no apparent reason.
I’m interested though, what applications do you see as “Ideal” for that board? There are no wrong answers I’m just interested in people’s personal preferences. I had a little two scene preset I thought would be perfect for
I used to bring out my two scene preset for warehouse teacher projects or stuff that would be described as Guerrilla Theater. It also got a few work outs for effects on indy films and music videos. But I’m not sure what the kids Or the grownups are doing to mix it up these days

Due to COVID unfortunately the board you see pictured is sitting in its case not getting much use :cry: Unless of course I want to play with it but with life being busy and being that I am still working I do not have the time just to be playing with my light board randomly. I am hoping once this COVID ends this board gets a nice workout once we can get back in to the theater world again. We will see though.

I'm sure it will. Necessity may be the mother of invention, but I'd bet boredom was the father. The fun thing about owning gear is you always find pretty interesting and random ways to use it. The other night I was unpacking some stuff in my closet and my daughter took a shine to an ancient board a friend bequeathed me. I'm not too attached to that one, so I gave it to her. We took it apart and checked the circuit board, power supply and transformer. There's not much else in that particular board. I made her put it back together, cause I'm a horrible Ogre who wants her to know how to fix stuff. Of course, she wanted to see how well the board worked. So we grabbed two of the little par 56's my wife keeps hoping I'll throw away. We Gelled one blue and one red and pluged them into the back of the board. We turned out the lights and tapped out some Morris code into the neighbors back yard. I had to look up the Morris code of course but she was able to tap out some fun stuff. It was just a little bonding moment that got her to turn off the T.V. for about an hour. I can't speak for everyone, but stuff like that really does encourage me to try out weird new things and become a better designer. I love taking lighting out of the box and off the page and seeing what I can come up with sometimes. Now that you can video everything you can create some pretty wild stuff that you can take into production meetings or post on you tube. I'm already debating talking to one of the choreographers at the Dance company I work with to come up with something where I can add in a little bit of Morris code. Well..... that is, I'll try it kid doesn't go behind my back and underbid me for that contract. :) The cool thing is once you know enough stuff to step out of the box, you turn around and realize there was never a box there at all. It was just you the whole time. Now I'm getting tired and before I commit the sins of major misspelling on this thread, I am headed off to bed. Thanks for chatting!

I'm sure it will. Necessity may be the mother of invention, but I'd bet boredom was the father. The fun thing about owning gear is you can always find pretty interesting and random ways to use it.

The other night I was unpacking some stuff in my closet and my daughter took a shine to an ancient board a friend bequeathed me. I'm not too attached to that one, so I gave it to her. We took it apart and checked the circuit board, power supply and transformer. There's not much else in that particular board. I made her put it back together, cause I'm a horrible Ogre who wants her to know how to fix stuff. Of course, she wanted to see how well the board worked. So we grabbed two of the little par 56's my wife keeps hoping I'll throw away. We Gelled one blue and one red and plugged them into the back of the board. We turned out the lights and tapped out some Morris code into the neighbor's back yard. I had to look up the Morris code of course but she was able to tap out some fun stuff. It was just a little bonding moment that got her to turn off the T.V. for about an hour.
I can't speak for everyone, but stuff like that really does encourage me to try out weird new things and become a better designer.
I love taking lighting out of the box, off the page and seeing what I can come up with sometimes. Now that you can video everything you can create some pretty wild stuff that you can take into production meetings or post on you tube. I'm already debating talking to one of the choreographers at the Dance company I work with to come up with something where I can add in a little bit of Morris code.
Well..... that is, I'll try if kid doesn't go behind my back and underbid me for that contract. :)
The cool thing is once you know enough stuff to step out of the box, you turn around and realize there was never a box there at all. It was just you the whole time. Now I'm getting tired and before I commit the sins of major misspelling on this thread, I am headed off to bed. Thanks for chatting!
@1knightn98 While you've got your two PAR56's gelled red and blue, explore the differences between shining them overlapped on top of one another on a matte flat surface compared to shining them horizontally sideways, as if they were mounted ~6' AFF (Above Finished Floor [Above Stage Level]) onto the rounded and curved shapes of dancers' bodies.
You'll find / learn the differences between overlaying two colors on top on a flat surface compared to the way the colors appear on rounded (non flat) surfaces, how they show their individual colors plus a variety of intermediate shades.
'nough / too much said; try it, it ought to prove simultaneously interesting, elucidating, educational and entertaining.

The next time you're in "horrible Ogre" mode, gel one green, hold it under your chin, stick out your tongue and do your best ogre.
If you're a smoker, experiment with belching smoke out your mouth vs. more gently / slowly out your nostrils. Play it up, you can do it.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
Fantastic advice! Both in the Red Blue Mixing and in the Ogre appearance. I don’t smoke anymore but I vape every once in a while, so I may play with that.

I’ve always loved the way Reds and Blues create that visual push-pull effect. It feels like the image is vibrating.

Fantastic advice! Both in the Red Blue Mixing and in the Ogre appearance. I don’t smoke anymore but I vape every once in a while, so I may play with that.

I’ve always loved the way Reds and Blues create that visual push-pull effect. It feels like the image is vibrating.
@1knightn98 Quoting you: "I’ve always loved the way Reds and Blues create that visual push-pull effect. It feels like the image is vibrating."
If / when the dancers are dancing / rotating, your imagery truly will be "vibrating".

In lesson 3, we'll add and explore the possibilities of 1 backlight hung overhead on the center line several feet U/S of the performers and shining directly down stage.
Vs. Two backlights hung overhead USR & USL over the performers' shoulders and shining diagonally down stage.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

When I've lit blues/jazz nights I've used front light in pale gold at very low level - 20% or less - and deep blue from one side and reddish pink from the other with deep reds, blues and oranges from behind and on the cyc. Worked well with a spot in L201 to pick out soloists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back